2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98

Re: 2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

Soymotor as a source!!! Plz use creditable website.
Anyway cant see it happening this year.but definitely next year.
Regardless if i was Piastri i would have joined any team other than Williams. This team is a joke and barely have any resource to make a decent car. They have all the wind tunnel time and no upgrades to show.

JordanMugen

With the expected Williams-Renault announcement for 2023 onwards, will Williams also be taking Alpine gearboxes? :?:

If the teams also share rear suspension, it could be the collaboration & economies of scale that Alpine have been craving. =D>

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 13:43
With the expected Williams-Renault announcement for 2023 onwards, will Williams also be taking Alpine gearboxes? :?:

If the teams also share rear suspension, it could be the collaboration & economies of scale that Alpine have been craving. =D>
Dude, you're a little behind on info. Williams extended thier partnership with Merc till the end of 2025, last year.

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2 ... extension/

organic

diffuser wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:32
JordanMugen wrote:

Dude, you're a little behind on info. Williams extended thier partnership with Merc till the end of 2025, last year.

Contracts can be mutually separated. Merc have been reportedly looking to offload one of its customers and if this aligns with the Williams/Alpine deal, I see no reason why it couldn't reasonably come to happen

Godius

wesley123 wrote:
16 May 2022, 22:11
TimW wrote:
16 May 2022, 11:28
Who is betting on Nyck de Vries replacing replacing Latifi? Nyck is a Mercedes junior afterall and Williams has Jack Aitken as a reserve driver and Logan Sargeant as a test driver, both of them fulfill the criteria for the mandated young driver sessions. Nyck has no business being in the Williams other than to get him ready for the race seat.
I reckon that this young driver sessions deal is there to avoid paying a fine towards Mercedes for picking Albon over De Vries.

diffuser

organic wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:36
diffuser wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Contracts can be mutually separated. Merc have been reportedly looking to offload one of its customers and if this aligns with the Williams/Alpine deal, I see no reason why it couldn't reasonably come to happen
As much as I wish that Williams and Alpine got close, I find it hard to beleive that both Williams and Merc have changed thier mind less than 6 months after extending a PU deal for 5 years.

organic

diffuser wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 16:18
organic wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:36
diffuser wrote:

As much as I wish that Williams and Alpine got close, I find it hard to beleive that both Williams and Merc have changed thier mind less than 6 months after extending a PU deal for 5 years.
Good point :mrgreen: When you put it like that, it would be strange

NL_Fer

How does the new Williams without the family in charge think about technical partnerships? How much would they benefit of a Alpine gearbox and (rear) suspension?

Fastcorner

Ryar wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 05:38
Williams considers swapping Latifi for Piastri from Silverstone

https://soymotor.com/noticias/williams- ... one-997472
Nicholas Latifi could contest his last race with Williams this weekend in Canada. The Grove structure has considered replacing him with Oscar Piastri from Silverstone due to his poor performance at the start of the season.

I don't think they'll do that, especially since Latifi brought the cash and the contract is pretty much bulletproof through the end of this year.

The only thing Williams can claim is that he violated the contract in some other ways. Besides performance maybe conduct detrimental to the team but I doubt it. He seems like well like by the team.

Plus it would be wholly unfair i & damage Williams' reputation if they don't give him a chance in the upgraded car starting with Silverstone if one were to believe the talk about Williams finally bringing upgrades for this year!

Mr Brooksy

Latifi will most likely stay till the end of the season. Williams can not afford to simply toss aside the Latifi snr sponsorship $$. Yes Latifi jnr is really struggling, and putting an ever increasing dent in the repair budget, but risking immediate $$ and future $$ by breaking contacts isn't worth the cost.

We are not Red Bull Racing (thankfully), we don't have an almost unlimited pile of $$ available due to the owner and recent success. We have to show integrity and reliability towards our partners so that future partners will trust us with their investment.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

continuum16

I think it’s fair to say that Latifi will finish the year but not get another; a mid season swap doesn’t seem useful anyways. Unless the silverstone update magically shaves off 1s of performance (I’m all here for it but we all know that’s extremely unlikely), I doubt the team could even reach Haas now (even without Haas bringing updates of their own later on). Getting rid of Latifi mid-season only adds a whole bunch of red tape that nobody needs, and you get the same amount of points for 15th and 18th, so it doesn’t really matter.

I think we have to wait until 2023 to see the real fruits of Dorilton/Capito/FX, because let’s not forget this car was probably already in development in 2019 after the shambles of the FW42. Of course, it still should have been faster but what’s done is done.

I just hope we don’t get a repeat of 2017, where Paddy Lowe arrived and the large mid-season update (which came in Austria I think) took an arguably marginally competitive car in completely the wrong direction, which the team still haven’t fully reversed the effects of. Always makes me nervous when you have a car designed by one team (specifically technical director) and developed by another.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

JordanMugen

Moctecus wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 11:42
Lawrence Barretto says, "according to simulations, and depending on the track, it should be worth around a second in qualifying."
A very big step that would, in theory, propel Williams solidly into the midfield! :o =D>

Chris Medland says, it's rumoured to be "along the same lines as the Red Bull concept"
So a wider sidepod concept?

Will be ready for Silverstone, but fitted to Albon's car only.
Latifi can't be too pleased about that.

continuum16 wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 23:54
Unless the silverstone update magically shaves off 1s of performance (I’m all here for it but we all know that’s extremely unlikely)
That's what it says, so we will see. Fingers crossed.

organic

The race pace of Albon seems already good in many situations. Hopefully this upgrade offers as much time as stated in quali to start closer to the points.

I would guess that the performance step should be enough to compete for points regularly

continuum16

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 12:07
continuum16 wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 23:54
Unless the silverstone update magically shaves off 1s of performance (I’m all here for it but we all know that’s extremely unlikely)
That's what it says, so we will see. Fingers crossed.
I just hope that unlike Mercedes, when Williams says they've found a second per lap, it's on a real track and not just in the wind tunnel and the sim. :D

If this really is more of a "Red Bull concept" with wide, undercut sidepods, then we will have seen Alfa, Aston, Alpine (to a lesser degree) and now Williams move toward this concept. I wonder if it's going to be AMR22-levels of similarity or more of just a generally large sidepod. This seems like a complete 180 from their current concept, so I hope they can hit the ground running. Unlike Aston, their front wing is not that dissimilar to Red Bull already, so it might be an easier adaptation than AM found.

Also, the current car seems miles off in quali, less so in the race, so a 1s gain in quali probably would only translate to 3-4 tenths in the race. Still incredible gains if true.

I'd be surprised if the car didn't also have a tea tray winglet, given it seems to be pretty low-hanging fruit these days.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

CaribouBread

I'd expect it'll take them at least a few races till they fully understand the new package but it'll be interesting to see if they gain any performance right off the bat.