2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Shrieker

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Don't know Jack :lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SilviuAgo

:shock: :shock: who was that mechanic genius putting tire backwards????? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

mwillems

haza wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 17:42
Any word on drag this weekend ?
I'm in my dress from 7pm this evening and performing at the Bulls head in Silverstone all weekend.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Macklaren
Macklaren

SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 17:47
:shock: :shock: who was that mechanic genius putting tire backwards????? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
looks like he panicked when the jack broke

Pat Pending
Pat Pending

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 18:04
haza wrote:
I'm in my dress from 7pm this evening and performing at the Bulls head in Silverstone all weekend.
:lol:
Team wear by RuPaul perhaps?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 16:45
diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 23:33
CjC wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 22:36

I was going to ask if anyone had any thoughts as to why Alpine can heavily update the car this season apposed to Mclaren who have hit a brick wall.
If you are right then that explains why Alpine are relentlessly churning out upgrades this season. They could get to the front by the end of the season at this rate.
Alpine car is like a lego car, for example, the side floor is made of 4 or 5 seperate pieces. Instead of changing the whole floor, they can rework just a piece of it. I haven't seen that on other cars or to the same extent. Atleast I haven't noticed it elsewhere.
Wasn't the MCL36 supposed to be modular?? I'm sure that was said at pre-season or thereabouts.

Confused.com
It is modular, not that different than the Alpine and the main reason for it to be a bit overweight

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 16:50
adrianjordan wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:37
mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 19:48

The MCL36 was pushed down the order to try and beat Ferrari and now we are between a rock and a hard place. It has taken the shine of the Mclaren Resurgence that is for sure, and I think that is the main issue most have. I just hope that the design and engineering team we have can shine in this new era and demonstrate their talents.
Thing is, the resurgence was given a bit of a false dawn by how much Ferrari struggled in 2020 and to a lesser extent 2021 due to their PU. If you look at the latter part of 2021, after they upgraded their ERS system, Ferrari regularly outscored McLaren.

This season is about learning the new rules and understanding the new cars. We get the new wind tunnel next season as well as upgrades to several other design tools etc, as well as the advantages of having more WT/CFD time available than the teams ahead. 2024/5 is when we can really hope to return to winning ways. Perhaps next season the occasional win on merit might be possible, but we shouldn't get disheartened, even if we end up slipping to 5th.

Remember where we are coming back from, this is still an improvement!!

To quote one of my heroes: "Patience padawan" 🤣
Yes master. Although the new Obi Wan series was also a massive disappointment so perhaps the wrong phrase!

My point though is that now more than ever, ingenuity and talent in the design teams is paramount. We can no longer throw money at winning the championship. And at our first attempt we have not done very well.... If our second attempt were not to fare very well, what would that say for the talent at our disposal...?

it is not a judgement on our team but we can't just point the finger at the budget cap and the wind tunnel and the general conversation seems to want to always defend the folks at the factory, or at least they are never mentioned, it is general the tools that are the problem, not the workmen... Well, they are a part of any problem and solution and we have to be open to the fact that the issue may not be what we think it is and this time next year it may be clear that personnel may need to change.
They may have simply got it wrong in terms of the chosen path of development… That doesn’t necessarily means that they need to change people.

The positive of the current environment is that it allows for faster convergence than in previous regulations, between the cost cap and how restrictive the regulations are, convergence is somewhat easier to achieve… If the team considers that their concept isn’t the best moving forward (knowing what others are doing) it wouldn’t be surprising if most current resources are been focused on an MCL37 that is following such a path (going in a similar direction to what RBR, Ferrari, Alpine are doing).

mwillems

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 17:22
Yeah , everybody knows that, I mean , even Key is nothing more than average, if he was like a superstar that McLaren says he is, he would not be at McLaren. Prodromou was a star at Red Bull , but apart from him, I don t see any big names, and that is not derogatory in any way, being is average in F1 is nothing to me ashamed for, it s a pinnacle of engineering. We are a mediocre team, so at the moment we can only attract mediocre talent, but if Lando bought it , why shouldn't we ...?

Hmm, I'm sure some feel that, not sure you really are speaking for everyone.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 18:48
mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 16:50
adrianjordan wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:37

Thing is, the resurgence was given a bit of a false dawn by how much Ferrari struggled in 2020 and to a lesser extent 2021 due to their PU. If you look at the latter part of 2021, after they upgraded their ERS system, Ferrari regularly outscored McLaren.

This season is about learning the new rules and understanding the new cars. We get the new wind tunnel next season as well as upgrades to several other design tools etc, as well as the advantages of having more WT/CFD time available than the teams ahead. 2024/5 is when we can really hope to return to winning ways. Perhaps next season the occasional win on merit might be possible, but we shouldn't get disheartened, even if we end up slipping to 5th.

Remember where we are coming back from, this is still an improvement!!

To quote one of my heroes: "Patience padawan" 🤣
Yes master. Although the new Obi Wan series was also a massive disappointment so perhaps the wrong phrase!

My point though is that now more than ever, ingenuity and talent in the design teams is paramount. We can no longer throw money at winning the championship. And at our first attempt we have not done very well.... If our second attempt were not to fare very well, what would that say for the talent at our disposal...?

it is not a judgement on our team but we can't just point the finger at the budget cap and the wind tunnel and the general conversation seems to want to always defend the folks at the factory, or at least they are never mentioned, it is general the tools that are the problem, not the workmen... Well, they are a part of any problem and solution and we have to be open to the fact that the issue may not be what we think it is and this time next year it may be clear that personnel may need to change.
They may have simply got it wrong in terms of the chosen path of development… That doesn’t necessarily means that they need to change people.

The positive of the current environment is that it allows for faster convergence than in previous regulations, between the cost cap and how restrictive the regulations are, convergence is somewhat easier to achieve… If the team considers that their concept isn’t the best moving forward (knowing what others are doing) it wouldn’t be surprising if most current resources are been focused on an MCL37 that is following such a path (going in a similar direction to what RBR, Ferrari, Alpine are doing).
Totally, I'm just putting it on the table that it would be a valid question.

mwillems

Pat Pending wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 18:34
mwillems wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 18:04
haza wrote:
:lol:
Team wear by RuPaul perhaps?
RuPaul in Papaya 8)

diffuser

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
Yeah , everybody knows that, I mean , even Key is nothing more than average, if he was like a superstar that McLaren says he is, he would not be at McLaren. Prodromou was a star at Red Bull , but apart from him, I don t see any big names, and that is not derogatory in any way, being is average in F1 is nothing to me ashamed for, it s a pinnacle of engineering. We are a mediocre team, so at the moment we can only attract mediocre talent, but if Lando bought it , why shouldn't we ...?
No need to be so harsh. People tend to be too high or to low...Merc got the design wrong twice ! Doesn't mean they're full of sh*t.

You know what, I not even sure alot of this stuff has fault in design. Not sure who controls the purse strings. If they brought too many 2021 upgrades and they're paying for that now, Keys an Pl don't have much to do with that or upper management share the blame.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Gasly stating McLaren are fast in the high speed stuff. Let’s hope this bodes well into the weekend

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silv ... /10331266/

diffuser

ScottR267 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 21:52
Gasly stating McLaren are fast in the high speed stuff. Let’s hope this bodes well into the weekend

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silv ... /10331266/
The value of FP2 when there was no FP1 + all the upgrades teams have brought.... I wouldn't read into it too much.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Car was good in Australia, which had lots of high speed corners. So this could be a good weekend.

McL-H
McL-H

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
Because if Lando could have one chance of moving to another team he would take it. I’m sure of it. I have been a McLaren fan for 15 years now and have stayed loyal to them always. I have always been certain the times of winning races and world championships would return. But yes, maybe I should find rest in the fact that it is a mediocre team now and the years the team were feared are far long. I like Seidl, he is a nice guy. But unfortunately nice guys don’t win you championships. If we want to become a top team again, we need Dennis back.