2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
A.J.O

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

McL-H wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 12:35

I think McLaren should get the right people in the right place and thus get Ron back as Team Principal and get Adrian Newey back and to hell with Prodromou and Key who have not proven themselves to be of McLaren material. We need back someone who does not settle with the mediocrity they bring forward, but someone who understands what it takes to be successful in F1, even if it means everyone will hate your guts.
Prodromou was at McLaren prior to Newey. Newey thought very highly of him and promoted Prodromou to head of aero. When Newey left he poached him and took him to Redbull. It was thought that Prodromou would be Newey's successor at RB. Not sure why he left RB. Seems to me Prodromou is a well proven entity.

Keys CV is not as impressive but McLarens results took a jump up the grid when Key joined.

mwillems

Yep, but you have to keep improving, if any of our staff can be improved upon again then we should take that opportunity ruthlessly if the opportunity arises.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ScottR267

mwillems wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:43
Yep, but you have to keep improving, if any of our staff can be improved upon again then we should take that opportunity ruthlessly if the opportunity arises.
Echo this of course. This is what Mercedes did well since their purchase of Brawn, initially going out and getting top guys e.g. Brawn, Lowe etc then collected others thereafter

djos

mwillems wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:31
djos wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 13:11
You clearly don’t work for a company that lives and Breathe’s Agile.

I do and we have a very very flat management structure and there is zero matrix type BS to get in the way.

I’m the head of Incident, problem and service level management for my org - Agile includes things like blameless retrospectives to analyse what when wrong and how we can improve. It’s not just a project management methodology, it’s a company culture.
It CAN be, your company is not representative of many workplaces.

I am the manager of master data and meta data for a multi billion pound bank, we have a traditional structure and use agile in projects only, and not all of them. I'm procuring software and we will be using prince2/Agile hybrid methodology to implement it.

But I have seen very few companies use Agile for more than just projects and having been a contractor I've worked for a lot.
Ah banks are a very different beast, I’ve spent many years in banking and insurance and the regulatory environment means that the org itself can never be truly agile. Many projects are run using agile methodologies, but the corporate culture doesn’t change much (I spent a few years on the NAB “Next Gen” project which was failed attempt #4 to move off mainframes to oracle’s exadata / exalogic platform. It was a pretty spectacular Charlie Foxtrot.

The company I currently work for is the leader in SAM (according to Gartner) and only has 1500 staff so we where able to shift to Agile around 4 years ago with a lot less pain that most larger orgs.
"In downforce we trust"

Slahinki

McL-H wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 12:35
Ron is what made McLaren to what it is today. Without him the McLaren name would have been long gone. All the championships and races we won, would never had existed.

Yes, and then he made the mistakes that made the team what it is today, mistakes made by him being at that point a relic of a bygone era, an era we only keep moving further away from.
I think McLaren should get the right people in the right place and thus get Ron back as Team Principal and get Adrian Newey back
Adrian Newey isn't coming back. Ever. Ron Dennis made sure of that when he felt threatened by Newey's influence in the team and instituted managerial changes aimed at neutering that influence, finally chasing Newey off to Red Bull in 2005 after him initially wanting to leave for Jaguar in 2001. And he is very happy at Red Bull and free to do more or less as he pleases. Also he's getting really close to retirement age. It's not happening.

The rest of your post isn't even worth replying to.

the EDGE

Getting worried about the weather now

It’s certainly not been a strength of the Mcl36 so far

EddyBaggio

the EDGE wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 15:50
Getting worried about the weather now

It’s certainly not been a strength of the Mcl36 so far
To be fair, nothing has ;)

ScottR267

Danny Ric is a very lucky boy squeezing through there

runningmanz

Yeah he just struggles to heat the tyres it seems, just sneaks through.

101FlyingDutchman

Not aggressive enough on the wheel it seems. Trying to be too smooth.

Emag

Nearly 2 seconds off Lando ...
I don't understand why Daniel struggles so hard.

Lucky

2.5 seconds is a shame

McL-H

I have defended Ricciardo long enough. He has to go.

101FlyingDutchman

Just lost his confidence in the wet with a moving chassis under him. He’s amazing when the ship is on rails seemingly and on par if not faster than NOR when the car responds to his liking. Kinda was unlucky there with not getting the fast laps in when the track was at its best at the start of q2

Ben1980

I'm generally a Dan Ric defender, and still don't think anyone else would be considerably better. But that wasn't great. He just doesn't seem to outperform or surprise in Q. While that Lando lap was really good, sonething he does on a pretty regular occasion.