Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MinMax

Re: Mercedes W13

Andi76 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 10:24
But one thing is for sure i think - Mercedes would never admit that they are throwing their zeropods away. This would mean that they admit in public that its inferior. And they will never do that.
I mean they're literally said on TV multiple times now that they would go back to the old sidepod spec design if the zero pod concept wasn't looking like it would work. I still think the jury is out on the concept. Next season if having sidepods was giving better performance of course they'd jump to it. Clearly they think there's still performance to be extracted and now with this FIA TD maaaaybe Ferarri and RB being pulled back a little with legal floors from France onwards they might get closer still. Just my guess. I'd be ready to ditch in another 2 months I think.

PlatinumZealot

christian.falavena wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 13:55
https://i.postimg.cc/zD6M2Dr8/Saturday- ... Hi-Res.jpg Look at that flow starting from the floor and going up thowards the rear wheel, every car had it yesterday, what's its benefit?
That's just water splashing. Even street cars and a kid's bicycle has that.

You will need to see a special angle, with some clarity - preferably a video - to pick out the influence of those vortices flowing past the wheel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GrizzleBoy

I don't know why the side pod discussion is still so big.

Aston and Williams have shifted to rb/ferrari type pods and no magic bullet has been found anywhere.

McLaren the other merc powered team have had more conventional pods the entirere time.

Merc have faster top speeds AND more usable downforce than all of them. They are no longer porpoising at higher speeds.

What's hilarious is that if McLaren, Williams and Aston Martin started out with normal side pods and were still so far behind merc, if we are honest with ourselves we might be asking if they all should be thinking about zero pods to at least get to mercs level.

Just_a_fan

GrizzleBoy wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 14:51
I don't know why the side pod discussion is still so big.

Aston and Williams have shifted to rb/ferrari type pods and no magic bullet has been found anywhere.

McLaren the other merc powered team have had more conventional pods the entirere time.

Merc have faster top speeds AND more usable downforce than all of them. They are no longer porpoising at higher speeds.

What's hilarious is that if McLaren, Williams and Aston Martin started out with normal side pods and were still so far behind merc, if we are honest with ourselves we might be asking if they all should be thinking about zero pods to at least get to mercs level.
It's basically one or two posters that keep insisting that the concept is dead in the water, even though the evidence is that it's the floor and suspension that are the key areas of concern in this rule set.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sofa King

The W13 is now the fastest car

De Jokke

fastest? It's a gray car, not a blue one.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

smith100s

Well done for perseverance, the concept clearly works however clearly tough to set up. I suspect a win will happen this season. Shame about today I think if Ocan never abandoned his car again in a poor place Lewis would have had p2 at the end but the team must be happy on the whole.

AA_2019

F1 flexi-floor exploit revelations a "shocker", says Mercedes

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-fl ... /10332159/

Mercedes trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin reckoned that the change could help move his squad nearer the front.

"When it came to light, we realised there's opportunities that we've perhaps not been taking or exploiting," he said.
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

MinMax

Andi76 wrote:

Mercedes cannot go easily to big sidepods. Their sidepod-inlets go all the way down the floor. They would have to change their cooling system and packaging and aero completely, as they would lack even more outwash(what already is one of the problems).We already had that several times here and it was explained why its not possible and even makes no sense.

If the journalists who say Mercedes will "copy" Red Bulls sidepod design are right or wrong - no one can say that. But one thing is for sure i think - Mercedes would never admit that they are throwing their zeropods away. This would mean that they admit in public that its inferior. And they will never do that. But as all F1-Teams are going in the opposite direction-and they definetely do this because its a disadvantage - i highly doubt Mercedes will not follow this direction with their new car. But thats something we will only be able to see in February 2023. If the new Mercedes still has zeropods and is faster than the competition - i will apologise and admit that i was wrong(not when they stay with them and are still significantly slower). If Mercedes has changed to "big-pods" - what i expect them to do - i will remind you of these discussions.

Zero pod concept seemed competitive today. Still not lead car of the class but it felt like the car can fight. I really think you’re close to be proven wrong. 2 more races maybe. Especially when the trick floors get banned.

f1jcw

AA_2019 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:58
F1 flexi-floor exploit revelations a "shocker", says Mercedes

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-fl ... /10332159/

Mercedes trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin reckoned that the change could help move his squad nearer the front.

"When it came to light, we realised there's opportunities that we've perhaps not been taking or exploiting," he said.
and yet, teams will be allowed to retain those points unlawfully gained.

f1jcw

MinMax wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:16
Andi76 wrote:

Mercedes cannot go easily to big sidepods. Their sidepod-inlets go all the way down the floor. They would have to change their cooling system and packaging and aero completely, as they would lack even more outwash(what already is one of the problems).We already had that several times here and it was explained why its not possible and even makes no sense.

If the journalists who say Mercedes will "copy" Red Bulls sidepod design are right or wrong - no one can say that. But one thing is for sure i think - Mercedes would never admit that they are throwing their zeropods away. This would mean that they admit in public that its inferior. And they will never do that. But as all F1-Teams are going in the opposite direction-and they definetely do this because its a disadvantage - i highly doubt Mercedes will not follow this direction with their new car. But thats something we will only be able to see in February 2023. If the new Mercedes still has zeropods and is faster than the competition - i will apologise and admit that i was wrong(not when they stay with them and are still significantly slower). If Mercedes has changed to "big-pods" - what i expect them to do - i will remind you of these discussions.

Zero pod concept seemed competitive today. Still not lead car of the class but it felt like the car can fight. I really think you’re close to be proven wrong. 2 more races maybe. Especially when the trick floors get banned.
It seems to lack striaghtline speed when using DRS

Is it engine, drag?

MinMax

f1jcw wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:17
MinMax wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:16
It seems to lack striaghtline speed when using DRS

Is it engine, drag?
Maybe not having the floor give as much downforce as others has meant the car has to have more downforce elsewhere meaning it’s more draggy? Could be the engine too to be fair

ringo

Sofa King wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 17:42
I knew someone was going to say this. Once Lewis threatens for a win then does eventually win, it will be because his turd of a car turned to a rocket ship during parc ferme. :lol:

I can assure you, redbull is still the fastest.

I think the flexi floor is being misunderstood. Earlier I mentioned the floor may have a suspension. It is for this purpose, to flex the floor where the plank is. The flexing is not about the floppy parts on the ends. You want to flex the part that touches the ground to have better control of the distance from the track; since its a solid body thats giving it that control.
What I think also enhances this, is the ridges on the step plane on the redbull and ferrari. Redbull have the ridges to the front and Ferrari have the ridges to the rear. The floor will have stress concentration at the ridges, and it's flex can be controlled very precisely. Ferrari is controlling flex at the diffuser, redbull is doing it at the entrance to the floor.

The flexing is happening at 1,2,3
Last edited by ringo on 03 Jul 2022, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
For Sure!!

wunderkind

Sofa King wrote:
On tracks with smooth surface and not many undulations, maybe. But I bet Verstappen would have been fastest in the race if his car didn’t suffer a damaged floor.

ringo

wunderkind wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:35
Sofa King wrote:
On tracks with smooth surface and not many undulations, maybe. But I bet Verstappen would have been fastest in the race if his car didn’t suffer a damaged floor.
No just no... :lol:
For Sure!!