2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1jcw

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Hammerfist wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:16
GrizzleBoy wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:23
mstar wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:15

I can summerise all you said about George simply. He is what we call a "yes" / PR man. He seems to have the same phases at the start of the weekend and reels them off throughout the weekend. i agree with Norris, now he doesn;t speak his mind and is more concerned with running the corporate line. He is starting to become annoying. Thats why we call him George "Thunderbirds" Russell. :D
My point is that this has been George possibly since before he even joined Williams.

The man wore a suit and tie to meet Merc bosses and showed them a flipping PowerPoint presentation of why he thinks they should sign him.

This is George. Its always been George.

People jumping on this "PR George" thing just haven't really been paying attention imo.
I don’t understand what the issue is. George has always been the same George to me. Not quite sure what Norris is on about. Norris comes across as a goofball to me. I guess he wants george to be the same? Who cares? Just shut up and drive ffs.
I'm trying to recall the last goofball wdc challengers. I'm struggling.

It is all very being the goofball when your idea of sunday is getting some points as a good result, but when you are aiming for wins maybe the teams expect a bit of concentration put in, as in all things, their is a time and a place.

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:35
Lewis should never have left the door wide open for Checo entering Village? I was honestly shocked he never closed that door off. Given they were side by side and lewis tried his wider line onto the straight, with Checo taking the inner line, the pace of the RB car won overall. Bit of a 'mistake' on Lewis' behalf there, but he drove a good race overall and that 1 instance is the only fault I can pick with him this race (aside from wanting to stay out on the hard tyres at the safety car). Superb start to begin with before the red flag, gaining 2 positions into 3rd. He drove a great race today, fastest lap after fastest lap and matched the Ferrari on race pace. (And i'm a Max fan.)
I reviewed it and It's because of momentum. The car is slower on the straight so he's trying for a wider line with the hope that Charles would hamper Checo. Blocking may work but it would leave him vulnerable to one of the other cars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:48
chrisc90 wrote:
Lewis should never have left the door wide open for Checo entering Village? I was honestly shocked he never closed that door off. Given they were side by side and lewis tried his wider line onto the straight, with Checo taking the inner line, the pace of the RB car won overall. Bit of a 'mistake' on Lewis' behalf there, but he drove a good race overall and that 1 instance is the only fault I can pick with him this race (aside from wanting to stay out on the hard tyres at the safety car). Superb start to begin with before the red flag, gaining 2 positions into 3rd. He drove a great race today, fastest lap after fastest lap and matched the Ferrari on race pace. (And i'm a Max fan.)
I reviewed it and It's because of momentum. The car is slower on the straight so he's trying for a wider line with the hope that Charles would hamper Checo. Blocking may work but it would leave him vulnerable to one of the other cars.
Thats for a respectable post. Anything he could have done into the entrance to village after Farm curve?

ringo

chrisc90 wrote:
It wasnt a mistake, as he was thinking 3 corners ahead. But the top speed og the RB and the braking point was nothing as poor as his own car.
If you look on where he let him through, had Lewis tightened up that line Checo and charles would be behind him and had him lined up 2 corners later. So a bit o damned if you do damned if you dont. Block Checo there would have required some dirty driving after to keep him behind.
But maybe Lewis would have to rewatch himself and see what could be done. But I dont think its much that he could do. Taking the racing line was maybe his way of trying to let Checo in and ratake on the straight but he underestimated the RB capabilities both in top speed and braking.
For Sure!!

siskue2005

ringo wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 00:48
chrisc90 wrote:
It wasnt a mistake, as he was thinking 3 corners ahead. But the top speed og the RB and the braking point was nothing as poor as his own car.
If you look on where he let him through, had Lewis tightened up that line Checo and charles would be behind him and had him lined up 2 corners later. So a bit o damned if you do damned if you dont. Block Checo there would have required some dirty driving after to keep him behind.
But maybe Lewis would have to rewatch himself and see what could be done. But I dont think its much that he could do. Taking the racing line was maybe his way of trying to let Checo in and ratake on the straight but he underestimated the RB capabilities both in top speed and braking.
and he underestimated how fair Perez would be.

ringo

Checo drives desperately. He did it with ocon as teammate and did it with Lewis and Norris last year. The FIA need to clamp down on him.
For Sure!!

mvfad

I think Hamilton is not very confident in braking this car on a relatively cold tire. This year he's been locking up the front tires too much. Lack of confidence in the car's brakes at that moment was perhaps the opening for Perez to overtake him.

And Lewis is old, he shouldn't have the same impetus as he used to fight for positions. Perez is old too, but he has less to lose by being crazy. I remember Lewis was a much more aggressive driver to overtake and defend when he was younger (and I know that well, since I was a fan of Felipe Massa.).

Shrieker

I have a few things to say.

Putting George on hards at the start was a 🧠 dead move, considering how hard it was to bring them up to temperature even under racing speeds. On mediums, it would have taken him lap 10 at most to clear Alonso and then Norris. With the sc later on, he would've become a podium threat, or 4th at the very least, without it.

I feel like there was no way they didn't know the hards would be so hard to warm up. Didn't they actually run this tyre in the practice sessions ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

JPower

Shrieker wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:47

I feel like there was no way they didn't know the hards would be so hard to warm up. Didn't they actually run this tyre in the practice sessions ?
Yes they did in FP2, and by lap 6-7 George was flying.

George might've pushed the start a little too hard trying to recover from the bad start. He would've had enough pace 10 laps in to push up to 4th pretty easily IMO.

Shrieker

What a shame then. They got very lucky budget cap wise too, think they lost one or two rims, and some suspension elements at worst. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Could've ended up so much worse.

Can't say the same for Alfa Romeo sadly. I'd be amazed if anything can be salvaged from that car... Maybe the steering wheel ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

On a different note, George will probably have to serve a penalty next race too...

Any word on that yet ?
-Atatürk

rifrafs2kees

Shrieker wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 04:03
On a different note, George will probably have to serve a penalty next race too...

Any word on that yet ?
On account of what? Thought his crash was just a racing incident?
I'll be bummed as I'm itching for continued momentum from both drivers.

ringo

mvfad wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 01:53
I think Hamilton is not very confident in braking this car on a relatively cold tire. This year he's been locking up the front tires too much. Lack of confidence in the car's brakes at that moment was perhaps the opening for Perez to overtake him.

And Lewis is old, he shouldn't have the same impetus as he used to fight for positions. Perez is old too, but he has less to lose by being crazy. I remember Lewis was a much more aggressive driver to overtake and defend when he was younger (and I know that well, since I was a fan of Felipe Massa.).
The car just does not brake as well as a redbull. The bouncing affects the contact patch consitency and predictability, but most of all the redbull car is best under braking.
For Sure!!

cplchanb

Shrieker wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 04:03

Any word on that yet ?
if there was any investigations for penalties it wouldve been announced during the race. they already concluded no investigation within 5 min.

PlatinumZealot

Now that the car is coming good that biazzaro world where George qualifies ahead has ended. Knowing how to drive bad cars well does not translate into driving fast cars at any elite level.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏