2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Yeah Lando's strategy was crap in hindsight. Unlucky not to be higher. The team have dropped the ball again after the debacle at Canada.

I don't get why they pitted Ricciardo from 9th on lap 21 after he had just got clean air. Had been stuck in a DRS train before that but his pace on the mediums seemed ok. After that the hards didn't work not just his car but a few others and he also had a DRS issue from lap 31 which I guess necessitated the 3rd stop for softs. So as much as he said he struggled for grip the strategy didn't make much sense when he seemed fine to go alot longer on the mediums. Many went 32 laps on the mediums.

mvfad

Mclaren could pick up some young F2 driver for next year. Lando already has enough experience to lead the team and a promising young driver wouldn't do much different from what Ricc is doing. I like Ricciardo, but unfortunately, he didn't make it, there was no match with the team.

djos

The Car is the issue right now, neither Daniel nor Lando could overtake anyone, the car is decent around most corners but in a straight line it's a flying brick and way too slow!

Daniel was all over multiple cars gearboxes and just couldn't get past, even with DRS! Lando had the same Issues!

EDIT: listening to the post race radio, sounds like Daniel's DRS was actually broken and he told his engineer that from the restart his car "felt off".
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

Yeah he was stuck in DRS trains most of the race in the 'brick'. The restart he was in amongst soft tyre runners apart from Bottas in a DRS train. Dumb pit decision to bring him in on lap 21 just when he got clean air and was running in 9th. Many on mediums ran them till lap 32. Then had broken DRS from lap 31. They pitted him for a 3rd stop on lap 34. No chance with broken DRS and 20 sec back in 13th after that.

Seidl mentioned it in the McLaren post race wrapup in the McLaren site. Another tough weekend.

djos

I reckon Daniel must have picked up damage from that first lap carnage - he drove through a huge cloud of debris:

I can't tell for sure, but he may have been tagged by Albon too:

"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

Yeah wow crazy pics. Looks like Albon makes contact there. Will be interesting to see what the review finds out.

djos

runningmanz wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 07:54
Yeah wow crazy pics. Looks like Albon makes contact there. Will be interesting to see what the review finds out.
Should be interesting ... He mentioned the car felt like Barcelona, which later turned out to be a broken component of some sort.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:50
Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:47
The difference has become 6 points. Both Daniel and McLaren must up their pace or else the 4th position will be lost. We are now going to A1 Ring which suited McLaren the last 3 years.
Definitely not optimistic on that one.

Will get swallowed on the straights.
Hopefully they take a sheet of paper with a crease in it as the rear wing😂
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

In '20, the Ferraris were fast in Spielberg, also having problems with drag and underpowered engines. Perhaps a little high altitude will help us smooth out the excess drag, and good downforce will give us an advantage over our rivals.

Snowblindoz

I'm a bit late to the party, but!
Forget the no blame culture, who ever made the decision to leave Lando out (or make the late call), needs to be moved away from that position ASAP.
It was one of the worst decisions i have witnessed in my 48yrs as a Mclaren fan.
Lando was at the end of the Wellington straight when the safety car was called, giving them a good minute and a half (at reduced speed), to make what was a no-brainer call.

With the next car (Vettel i think) 35 secs behind, the worst case scenario from pitting him in front of Alonso, would have been if Alonso had stayed out. And even then Lando would've have been right up his chuff with a fresh set of soft's against Alonso's used hard's.
So frustrating! The team seem's to be full of wet blankets nowaday's.

Slahinki

Well, according to the post race radio that late call was on both Will and Lando, and I certainly wouldn't want to remove the one driver we have that is performing.

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:46
Great race by Ricciardo today. Fully managed to finish in front of 1 car on merit.
=D> =D>

Ground Effect

McLaren clearly took a step back with the car, compared to previous years. Mercedes have seemingly made decent progress, but on the McLaren side, they haven’t benefited much from the upgrades. Probably not something that can be addressed this year. The best thing in my opinion would be an early switch to the 2023 car, because it looks like the draggy issue isn’t a cheap/straightforward fix.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Snowblindoz

Slahinki wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 12:44
Well, according to the post race radio that late call was on both Will and Lando, and I certainly wouldn't want to remove the one driver we have that is performing.
I always thought Lando was quite a bright kid, no problem at all with his call in Russia, that was very much 50/50 while leading the race.
But if what your saying is right, then they need to get someone else to make the calls, because in this instance, it was a diabolical decision.
Perhaps they had too much time and faffed about in their heads over what was a pretty obvious call.

Slahinki

Snowblindoz wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 15:59
I always thought Lando was quite a bright kid, no problem at all with his call in Russia, that was very much 50/50 while leading the race.
But if what your saying is right, then they need to get someone else to make the calls, because in this instance, it was a diabolical decision.
Perhaps they had too much time and faffed about in their heads over what was a pretty obvious call.
I could be interpreting the radio incorrectly as there's not much context provided, but seems highly likely to be about the SC pit call at least.