2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

rafeyahmad wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 07:01
And while we're at it, what was the ridiculous call to Sainz to back up the pack at the SC restart? Binotto has changed the team for good in a lot of places and I'm immensely grateful but this strategy department needs to be fired asap. How it wasn't already fired after the horrors of '17 and '18, I don't know.

It pains me to see a monumental talent like Leclerc throwing away his career like this. And despite the numerous times they've ruined his races over the last 4 years, he ALWAYS gives the benefit of doubt to the team. Someone get his rose-tinted glasses off. If Ferrari don't improve, he needs to sign for another team.
Firing Binotto will achieve nothing and '17 and '18 were the first 2 years of the new team.

The team needs stability, if RedBull fired their team after 2014 or 2017-2018 seasons they wouldn't be here today.

Andres125sx

Xyz22 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:16
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:15
Xyz22 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:13

I always try to judge the performance. Sainz performance today wasn't very good, like every races this year bar Canada.

He still got the win so congrats to him.
You don't have to be perfect, just good enough
Or lucky the team doesn't --- your strategy...
Or with strong enough personality to stop your team when they try, as Ferrari did when they asked Sainz to let 10 cars distance to Charles at the SC restart

People are criticizing Ferrari because they didn´t protect Lecrerc... after they provided TOs to Carlos to let pass Charles (what he did) and then ask him to let 10 cars distance to Charles at the restart (what luckily for Ferrari he didn´t)

Ferrari couldn´t do much more for Charles victory apart from a double pit-stop at last SC, but that would have been very risky. That´s the problem of leading the race when a SC is deployed, you are the first to take a decision, and all the rest can react.

Yes it was a wrong call by Ferrari, but they actually tried to protect Charles 2 times in the race. Even so Sainz won. This is racing, move one guys :wink:

Andres125sx

Not the first time Sainz is best Ferrari strategist #-o

It was a crazy race with red flags and SCs, and these races usually end up with someone who was not expected to win at the top of the podium. This time it was Sainz, but looks like some Ferrari fans are not happy with this :roll:

Congratulations to Sainz, first victory in F1, with Ferrari, at a crazy race in Silverstone. Now he´ll perform better for sure, he´s constantly improving since first race of the season, and now with a victory it will be even better =D>

Drift4794
Drift4794

dialtone wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 07:49
rafeyahmad wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 07:01
And while we're at it, what was the ridiculous call to Sainz to back up the pack at the SC restart? Binotto has changed the team for good in a lot of places and I'm immensely grateful but this strategy department needs to be fired asap. How it wasn't already fired after the horrors of '17 and '18, I don't know.

It pains me to see a monumental talent like Leclerc throwing away his career like this. And despite the numerous times they've ruined his races over the last 4 years, he ALWAYS gives the benefit of doubt to the team. Someone get his rose-tinted glasses off. If Ferrari don't improve, he needs to sign for another team.
Firing Binotto will achieve nothing and '17 and '18 were the first 2 years of the new team.

The team needs stability, if RedBull fired their team after 2014 or 2017-2018 seasons they wouldn't be here today.
I didn't say fire Binotto. I trust in him. However, I dont trust the strategy team one bit.

F1NAC

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 08:24

It was a crazy race with red flags and SCs, and these races usually end up with someone who was not expected to win at the top of the podium. This time it was Sainz, but looks like some Ferrari fans are not happy with this :roll:

Congratulations to Sainz, first victory in F1, with Ferrari, at a crazy race in Silverstone. Now he´ll perform better for sure, he´s constantly improving since first race of the season, and now with a victory it will be even better =D>
No the problem is that Ferrari messed up, and luckily for them Sainz picked up his 1st win. If they played from the beginning how they should i.e, letting Leclerc through we would have 1-2 easy. Especially with RB problems.

Sainz didn't had pace in any stint in relative to Charles. Even with broken FW. Had they let him through immediately, they could calmly pit both of them during SC and 1-2 would be secure.

This way we have 1-4 and didn't capitalise on Verstappen problems.

Happy for sainz but overall disappointed how event unfolded. Truth is Sainz was even slower than Merc.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

There's a narrative to always find excuses for Leclerc. Ofc he had reliability issues.
Nevrtheless he's less consistent than Verstappen (and I'm not a Verstappen fan).

He bottled the pole in qualy, which is arguably his strong point. There's no way he should start behind Sainz, furthermore because its one of Leclerc favorite trzck according to himself.

His first start was very poor. His defending, to me, was too agressive he pushed Hamilton on the gravel in S2 and was waving on the straight.

I saw a Ferrari tifosi saying he's a false hope for Ferrari, like Alesi. I wouldn't go that far but this narrative has to stop. I would add Leclerc is supposed to be the leader of this team he's partly responsible for these blunders. It would not happen with Schumacher. It happened in Sakhir 2020 for Merc probably because their leader wasn't there... If the Ferrari department is so **** Leclerc has to propose alternative strategies like Sainz is doing successfully since last year.

evered7
evered7

Ferrari have the fastest car in the field after years now. Even in 2017/18, Mercedes were faster in the race or just out of reach many times before Ferrari brought in developments to slow themselves down.

It's an unfamiliar situation for them perhaps after being only a challenger for so long. If they only want the WCC, they can continue at the current trend.

If they want the WDC however, things has to change drastically. A Brazil 2019 isn't too far away if frustrations boil over.

Binotto might be a good engineer but taking a call on the track needs some guts and tough to swallow pills for the drivers. Either enforce it in the contract or prior to the race. Because clearly, 'on the fly' thinking is tough to achieve for Ferrari.

As for Sainz, when he beats Max on pure pace, he can claim to be a contender for the WDC. As of now, it's only 1 who's doing that and that's Leclerc.

Luckily the next race isn't far away. Many ghosts to lay to rest at Ferrari.

ferkan
ferkan

Spoutnik wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:37
There's a narrative to always find excuses for Leclerc. Ofc he had reliability issues.
Nevrtheless he's less consistent than Verstappen (and I'm not a Verstappen fan).

He bottled the pole in qualy, which is arguably his strong point. There's no way he should start behind Sainz, furthermore because its one of Leclerc favorite trzck according to himself.

His first start was very poor. His defending, to me, was too agressive he pushed Hamilton on the gravel in S2 and was waving on the straight.

I saw a Ferrari tifosi saying he's a false hope for Ferrari, like Alesi. I wouldn't go that far but this narrative has to stop. I would add Leclerc is supposed to be the leader of this team he's partly responsible for these blunders. It would not happen with Schumacher. It happened in Sakhir 2020 for Merc probably because their leader wasn't there... If the Ferrari department is so **** Leclerc has to propose alternative strategies like Sainz is doing successfully since last year.
So he shouldn't lose 1 single quali session in half a season? Interesting, because WDC's like Hamilton, Schumacher, Vettel etc. lost numerous quali sessions in their winning years. He had bad start? So what? He was still, after everything, considerably faster then Sainz and was 9s ahead in lead before SC.

Any other team bar Ferrari, and Leclerc takes this win (deservedly). How is he responsible for blunder when his team tells him to stay out during SC period? Should he went in without set of tires waiting for him?

space wadet
space wadet

Spoutnik wrote:
This is not on Leclerc. Verstappen has made just as many mistakes, if not more. He made mistakes in quali in Miami and Australia. Was slower than Perez in quali more than once (Jeddah and Monaco, though probably would have been ahead had Perez not crashed, but you gotta get it on the first run). In comparison this was the only quali where Leclerc didn't qualify in front of Sainz, or even the front row (excluding Canada for obvious reasons).

Both had small mistakes during the races until now, Lec in Imola, Max in Barcelona, but otherwise both been basically flawless up until now. Now here he had two bad starts (which incidentally is still fewer than Sainz this year), which fair enough is on him, but the point is to make up for it afterwards. And he did, considering his poor starts he should not have been able to catch Sainz so easily with a broken wing, and once he did the right strategy was obviously to let him pass quickly, which he repeatedly asked for. So he did "propose the right strategy". If he was let by and had built a gap they could have double stacked without hesitating during the SC. He also asked to pit during the SC but was told not to. What more could he have done? Did you expect him to forcefully come in and change the tires himself as well?

But more to the point, he shouldn't have to. When has Max been on the radio proposing alternative strategies to his team? He trusts his team to do their job, and they do, leaving him to concentrate on the part that's actually his job.

Your point about aggressiveness being a mistake is also kinda funny since the comparison is to Max, who is the most aggressive driver. His defense on Mick was worse than Leclerc's.

Leclerc has not been flawless obviously, but no driver on the grid has. He's made small mistakes, as has Max, but the point is both of them more than make up for them. It's then up to the team to hold up on their end. I don't see how it's possible to make any rational argument that Leclerc is somehow mostly responsible for these results. He's the only one who has actually been consistent in the team, compared to Sainz, the race management team and the car.

codetower

JPower wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 04:02
S D wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:50
It's funny, Lewis was questioning if softs was the way to go. Perhaps it wasn't that obvious if Lewis had doubts. What befuddles me is that Ferrari got the win although from reading these posts it looks as if they lost the race. Charles did fantastic and if the softs did go off then he would might have won. Lewis and Checo had nothing to lose so they took a chance. It worked this time and could just as easily not have.
It's a mix of two crowds. Some are legit Ferrari fans, and are mad at the questionable strategy. The other are Leclerc fans, who feel their driver has been wronged and that everyone on the team should be subservient to him.

It's pretty obvious which comments are which.
Ferrari first, always. But this call got them farther away from WDC & WCC. They went from a 1-2 to a 1-4 with their lead driver losing ground to the 2nd place driver. They failed to maximize points in a race where Max was a sitting duck.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Leclerc was very lucky of not having a penalty yesterday.
he crashed Perez, pushed ham and per outisde of the track and wave on the straight at the end.

he could have been easily penalized with 5-10s

Juzh

S D wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:50
It's funny, Lewis was questioning if softs was the way to go. Perhaps it wasn't that obvious if Lewis had doubts. What befuddles me is that Ferrari got the win although from reading these posts it looks as if they lost the race. Charles did fantastic and if the softs did go off then he would might have won. Lewis and Checo had nothing to lose so they took a chance. It worked this time and could just as easily not have.
It was clear from FP2 soft tyre is good for a number of laps, hamilton did his best lap on lap 13, so there was no reason to expect soft tyre to fall off so quickly that hard would become faster again.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Alonsismo wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 11:08
Leclerc was very lucky of not having a penalty yesterday.
he crashed Perez, pushed ham and per outisde of the track and wave on the straight at the end.

he could have been easily penalized with 5-10s
Yes.. but we can't say it because it doesn't fit the narrative !

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ferkan wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 10:12
Spoutnik wrote:

So he shouldn't lose 1 single quali session in half a season? Interesting, because WDC's like Hamilton, Schumacher, Vettel etc. lost numerous quali sessions in their winning years. He had bad start? So what? He was still, after everything, considerably faster then Sainz and was 9s ahead in lead before SC.

Any other team bar Ferrari, and Leclerc takes this win (deservedly). How is he responsible for blunder when his team tells him to stay out during SC period? Should he went in without set of tires waiting for him?
He can lose in qualy to his teamate, but then it's understandable he's not favored by the team when he's 0.8 behind his teamate on the first stint. Simple as that.

Look at the bigger picture. The top top top driver has to build a team around him, which he trust, with a nice coordination to avoid repeated mistakes. With Schumacher or let's say Vettel at RB these thing would never happen imo. I'm not in the briefing or working with Charles but that's my point of view.

Andres125sx

F1NAC wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 08:59
Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 08:24

No the problem is that Ferrari messed up, and luckily for them Sainz picked up his 1st win. If they played from the beginning how they should i.e, letting Leclerc through we would have 1-2 easy. Especially with RB problems.

Sainz didn't had pace in any stint in relative to Charles. Even with broken FW. Had they let him through immediately, they could calmly pit both of them during SC and 1-2 would be secure.

This way we have 1-4 and didn't capitalise on Verstappen problems.

Happy for sainz but overall disappointed how event unfolded. Truth is Sainz was even slower than Merc.
But Ferrari actually ordered Sainz to let pass Charles.

And Sainz was faster than Lecrerc until he went out of track. Maybe he got some car damage too?