2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

2021 Results
Qualifying

Race

2021 Pole Lap

2021 Race Highlights

Schedule and more information
P.S. It's a SPRINT™ weekend

SirBastianVettel

Re: 2022 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 08 - 10

Pit stops from last year where we also had the same tire compounds available. And with the Q3 tire rule gone I think we can safely assume this will be a one-stop race in 2022.

MattWellsyWells

Do they still have the aggressive kerbs here? Do you think we will see people struggling with damage to floors?

erudite450

MattWellsyWells wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 10:06
Do they still have the aggressive kerbs here?
I think so.
MattWellsyWells wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 10:06
Do you think we will see people struggling with damage to floors?
Yeah, for sure :D
... and front wings

InsaneX_Badger

That's very true. People could lose it all here if they damage the floors.

Some current F1 news:

https://f1i.autojournal.fr/magazine/mag ... ffaiblies/

Translated:
As we know, the flat bottom is equipped at its base with a "board" that not only cannot wear out excessively but must also be rigid enough. Under sections 3.5.9e and 3.15.8a, this permaglass plate may not deform more than two millimeters. Except that, in their wording, these articles stipulate that no deformation is allowed... only in two places on the board (at the edge and a little after). The text implies that the rest of the board cannot deform either, but does not explicitly say so.

Because of this ambiguity, the FIA suspects that some teams (mainly Red Bull and Ferrari) have chosen to comply only with the letter of the regulations and not with its spirit, that is, they have designed boards that deform at the rear beyond two millimeters, which would improve the operation of the flat bottom. At Le Castellet, this interpretation will no longer be accepted by the sports authorities.

Behind the scenes, it is said that Mercedes - whose W13 has received a new flat bottom as well as a remodeled fairing of the front suspension - would have been maneuvering to encourage the FIA to clarify this aspect of the technical regulations.

"When we learned of this possibility [that some teams may have played with the deformation of the board], we understood that there were certain occasions that we had not seized or exploited," explained Andrew Shovlin, Mercedes' Chief Operating Officer.

"The clarification of the FIA will therefore not impact the way we drive our car. But it could well affect our competitors and, therefore, bring us closer to them."

Red Bull, for its part, said that its car was "totally compliant" with the content of the revised and corrected directive. Nevertheless: according to Auto Motor und Sport, generally well informed, Red Bull and Ferrari strongly opposed the Federation's intention to make the board stiffer along its entire length.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

DChemTech

214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 12:55
Some current F1 news:

https://f1i.autojournal.fr/magazine/mag ... ffaiblies/

Translated:
As we know, the flat bottom is equipped at its base with a "board" that not only cannot wear out excessively but must also be rigid enough. Under sections 3.5.9e and 3.15.8a, this permaglass plate may not deform more than two millimeters. Except that, in their wording, these articles stipulate that no deformation is allowed... only in two places on the board (at the edge and a little after). The text implies that the rest of the board cannot deform either, but does not explicitly say so.

Because of this ambiguity, the FIA suspects that some teams (mainly Red Bull and Ferrari) have chosen to comply only with the letter of the regulations and not with its spirit, that is, they have designed boards that deform at the rear beyond two millimeters, which would improve the operation of the flat bottom. At Le Castellet, this interpretation will no longer be accepted by the sports authorities.

Behind the scenes, it is said that Mercedes - whose W13 has received a new flat bottom as well as a remodeled fairing of the front suspension - would have been maneuvering to encourage the FIA to clarify this aspect of the technical regulations.

"When we learned of this possibility [that some teams may have played with the deformation of the board], we understood that there were certain occasions that we had not seized or exploited," explained Andrew Shovlin, Mercedes' Chief Operating Officer.

"The clarification of the FIA will therefore not impact the way we drive our car. But it could well affect our competitors and, therefore, bring us closer to them."

Red Bull, for its part, said that its car was "totally compliant" with the content of the revised and corrected directive. Nevertheless: according to Auto Motor und Sport, generally well informed, Red Bull and Ferrari strongly opposed the Federation's intention to make the board stiffer along its entire length.
There is so much spirit in the regulations, F1 teams should hire psychics to interpret them (at least, that seems a more realistic ask than the FIA just writing good regulations that don't require any 'spirit' hocus bogus).

DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 12:58

There is so much spirit in the regulations, F1 teams should hire psychics to interpret them (at least, that seems a more realistic ask than the FIA just writing good regulations that don't require any 'spirit' hocus bogus).
It’s the exact thing that makes F1, F1. You can’t really be mad at it
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

DChemTech

214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 13:02
DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 12:58

It’s the exact thing that makes F1, F1. You can’t really be mad at it
It doesn't make it for me. I mean, I think it's great that teams come up with creative solutions in the regions where the rules fall short. What I hate is that then a new TD is issued to ban whatever a team came up with, because it 'goes against the spirit of the rules'.

I like the quantitative gaps, not the qualitative bogus - that's the worst, and yes, it is maddening when it influences competition.

kalinka

2nd sprint race this year ( 24 laps ). Wonder if it will be much easier to follow..especially at last 2 corners. That would mean much more overtakes at the front straight.

Wouter

The last 2 race weekends were super exciting on Saturday with a very exciting FP3 and an even more exciting qualifying.
Next Saturday, the FP in the morning will be completely redundant and boring and in the afternoon there will be a sprint race
for half an hour, which determines the starting position of the grid.
That order is therefore not determined by who the fastest drivers are.

Normal qualifying will now be held on Friday afternoon, but that is not important, because the fastest driver is not allowed
to start first on Sunday. This setup is worthless.
Moreover, everyone only has an hour to find the right setups. If not, the whole weekend has been messed up.
The entire sprint race weekend can be abolished for me.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 15:39
The last 2 race weekends were super exciting on Saturday with a very exciting FP3 and an even more exciting qualifying.
Next Saturday, the FP in the morning will be completely redundant and boring and in the afternoon there will be a sprint race
for half an hour, which determines the starting position of the grid.
That order is therefore not determined by who the fastest drivers are.

Normal qualifying will now be held on Friday afternoon, but that is not important, because the fastest driver is not allowed
to start first on Sunday. This setup is worthless.
Moreover, everyone only has an hour to find the right setups. If not, the whole weekend has been messed up.
The entire sprint race weekend can be abolished for me.
100% agree. By all means have sprint races, but not immediately before a 'real' race, and don't include the points at year end. If they feel there is not enough entertainment, allow guest drivers or reserve drivers to have a Saturday race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

silver

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 17:15
It would be interesting to know what the budget situation is as Mercedes is bringing so many experimental, upgraded floors for almost every race now.

dialtone

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 17:15
Not sure I follow this, Spielberg is almost a smaller version of Bahrain, traction is important out of 1, 3, 4 and 10, and so far Ferrari had the better traction. Fast corner speed like 5, 6, 7, 8 have been a strong point for Ferrari too, check Maggotts, Becketts in Silverstone, S2 in Barcelona. As per short radii... well Monaco?

There are a lot of straights but I don't follow the "Ferrari damage limitation" thing. They said the same thing in Baku and they started on pole, they said the same thing in Canada and Sainz was the faster car in race.

I'm not saying Ferrari is going to be better in Austria, but I don't see how the reasoning from AMuS applies here.