McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: McLaren MCL36

Just the usual reminder... will they finish 4th or 6th is NOT car thread material. Hardware or bust!

Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:48
https://i.imgur.com/bw9F9jI.png

This is the official McLaren MCL36 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the MCL36 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 McLaren F1 Team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

Blackout

mclaren111

Maax70

I would expect some effort to see some updates in MCL36 floor which I think is the only (big) weakness of this car, but it seems I have to wait '23.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10334162/

In summary my understanding is that they are aware that the MCL36 concept is far from the best interpretation of new rules ("We're all still learning a lot about these cars"). They are working for 2023 car without immimemt intention to implement improvement this year to save budget cap and sadly looking at other teams development results ('In the end of course we see what the other teams are doing").
I'm not so happy, so far they just fix the brake issue (succesfully) and slightly change sidepods (unsuccesfully). Not so much with respect to other teams.
They may deem too expansive to correct this car ?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/top-s ... /10334259/

Let's see other picture of the wings hoping that they are sufficient.
("We still have a slight weakness, let's say," Norris said. "And it's not just the wing, there are various other things which count towards drag on the car.")

Maax70

So far just wings from Baku imo.

organic

djos

It’s pretty disappointing - Williams brought a B Spec car to Silverstone and Mclaren have brought only minor tweaks to every race.
"In downforce we trust"

Emag

djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 11:48
It’s pretty disappointing - Williams brought a B Spec car to Silverstone and Mclaren have brought only minor tweaks to every race.
They already said that nothing major will come to this car for the rest of the year, so I am not sure what you were expecting.

This is probably, more or less, the ultimate spec for this year's McLaren.

It is probably a combination of budget cap, development potential and concept evaluation for next year that may have pushed them to this decision.

I would guess it's mostly the latter because James Key mentioned development for 2023 car is well underway. They may have found things they are not happy with this year's concept and they think its not worth spending resources on developing them.

djos

In all honesty, I don’t think Mclaren actually need a B spec car. However it’d be nice to get some more development.
Last edited by djos on 08 Jul 2022, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM

Emag wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 12:26
This is probably, more or less, the ultimate spec for this year's McLaren.
Nah there's still stuff coming out of the factory, I think they just shifted the focus to next year already with the amount of carry over, some floats back down anyway. But there's 2-3 lots of minor/bolt on stuff coming, I heard there's a diffuser tweak to work with the floor changes but again, I'm only hearing that from one person atm so I can't verify it. Been too busy to talk to the guys on the floor.

mclaren111

Motorsport.com
McLaren has introduced a new small trim to the lower edge of the rear wing endplate that is aimed at increasing clearance to nearby components.

The team has also modified the rear brake duct scoop surface, to help improve local flow in the area – which serves to boost both cooling and aerodynamic performance.

Xero

djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 12:42
In all honesty, I don’t think Mclaren actually need a B spec car. However it’d be nice to get some more development.
If next years car is a different concept it makes little sense to throw limited resources into improving this years car only for it to not be carried forward. It's seems pretty clear they've allocated much of the budget cap towards next year. Could end up being pivotal if they want to gain more than others. What we are likely to see is small parts aimed towards improvements in more isolated areas of the car, like the brake ducts revision this weekend.

djos

Good point.
"In downforce we trust"

bauc

djos wrote:
Williams is dead last, that is why they need B spec car, we are 4th and with this car we can fight for the same till the end (with some small upgrades as well)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

djos

bauc wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 15:23
djos wrote:
Williams is dead last, that is why they need B spec car, we are 4th and with this car we can fight for the same till the end (with some small upgrades as well)
That is true, however, by that logic we wouldn’t see any significant updates from Ferrari or RedBull.
"In downforce we trust"