2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

continuum16 wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 21:22
diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 20:35
NAPI10 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 18:42

Either team has no idea to set 'B-Spec' in wet or it's inherently slow in wet. I am interested to see dry quali.
They need a better driver.
At least one... :roll:

Still can't believe they didn't bring a new front wing. Baffling considering how much of the middle and rear of the car has changed. I get the feeling that although the B-spec might be easier to drive, it's not remarkably faster than the original. Lest we forget that the team got into Q3 in Miami and came from pitlane to points (even without the Germans colliding, VET was into the top 10 by that point). Other than in practice in Canada the new car has not looked any faster than the old one. Even then, the pace evaporated when it mattered most.
I read it today, not sure from who, that the front wing is one of the most expensive parts. Oh it was the team principal for SAR. They had to put a new wing off till the end of the year because of the cost of it. Fry was quoted a couple of months ago that you can make much more performance from the floor right now.

collindsilva

continuum16 wrote:
diffuser wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 18:42

Either team has no idea to set 'B-Spec' in wet or it's inherently slow in wet. I am interested to see dry quali.

Still can't believe they didn't bring a new front wing. Baffling considering how much of the middle and rear of the car has changed. I get the feeling that although the B-spec might be easier to drive, it's not remarkably faster than the original. Lest we forget that the team got into Q3 in Miami and came from pitlane to points (even without the Germans colliding, VET was into the top 10 by that point). Other than in practice in Canada the new car has not looked any faster than the old one. Even then, the pace evaporated when it mattered most.
We will get to know by this week, if the order stays the same, it will be better to shift focus on next year...

diffuser

collindsilva wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 06:56
continuum16 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

We will get to know by this week, if the order stays the same, it will be better to shift focus on next year...
That by itself isn't gonna solve thier problem. They need to figure it out and they might have to create test peices to figure it out. It's not like they're gonna restart from scatch again with a completelt different design. They also may not REALLY have a problem. They may just not have a driver that can lead this thing. Right now, it has to be Vettel and I'm not sure he's up to it. Lance takes the term "pay driver" to a whole new level. I think Lance, being the owner of the team, isn't going anywhere. That and he's isn't a bad number 2. I think if you have a good number 1, he could drag Stroll up the charts. If I were them, I'd go after Alonso before Alpine sign him. I think a 3 years contract might sway him. They seem to be building a very good technical team, they stole another 2 guys from RBR just receintly.

continuum16

diffuser wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 17:39
collindsilva wrote:
continuum16 wrote:

That by itself isn't gonna solve thier problem. They need to figure it out and they might have to create test peices to figure it out. It's not like they're gonna restart from scatch again with a completelt different design. They also may not REALLY have a problem. They may just not have a driver that can lead this thing. Right now, it has to be Vettel and I'm not sure he's up to it. Lance takes the term "pay driver" to a whole new level. I think Lance, being the owner of the team, isn't going anywhere. That and he's isn't a bad number 2. I think if you have a good number 1, he could drag Stroll up the charts. If I were them, I'd go after Alonso before Alpine sign him. I think a 3 years contract might sway him. They seem to be building a very good technical team, they stole another 2 guys from RBR just receintly.
I would watch an entire season of Lawrence Stroll and Fernando Alonso having a go at each other. :idea:

Yes, they keep hiring people; I suppose that's good, but they have arguably the most talented design and engineering group that this team has ever had, they have more budget than they've ever had, and yet the 2021 and 2022 cars are the worst cars this team has produced in a decade (or more). Something does not make sense. Clearly the marketing department is doing their job; because they have a number of substantial sponsors, especially compared to who they typically are racing on Sunday. As for everyone else? I don't want to speculate but clearly something is amiss.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

diffuser

continuum16 wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 22:44
diffuser wrote:
collindsilva wrote:

I would watch an entire season of Lawrence Stroll and Fernando Alonso having a go at each other. :idea:

Yes, they keep hiring people; I suppose that's good, but they have arguably the most talented design and engineering group that this team has ever had, they have more budget than they've ever had, and yet the 2021 and 2022 cars are the worst cars this team has produced in a decade (or more). Something does not make sense. Clearly the marketing department is doing their job; because they have a number of substantial sponsors, especially compared to who they typically are racing on Sunday. As for everyone else? I don't want to speculate but clearly something is amiss.
There has been alot of movement. The 8 people or so they took from RBR haven't been there six months, let alone a year. Think you got to give it till next year at this time to re-evaluate. Then again if it's a driver problem, it will never get better. I mean, replace Lando with Lance at McLaren and how much worse will that car look?

prendrefeu

diffuser wrote:
They seem to be building a very good technical team, they stole another 2 guys from RBR just receintly.
'Stole' would imply that employees that are objects/tools that owned by another (aka, slaves). These two humans CHOSE to find employment with Aston Martin for various reasons (pay, new grounds, benefits, closer to home, better positioning, career progress). It is their own choice that they made when the opportunity was presented to them.

Watch your words, they are loaded like a gun and have an impact on how people interpret events.

diffuser

prendrefeu wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 19:06
diffuser wrote:
They seem to be building a very good technical team, they stole another 2 guys from RBR just receintly.
'Stole' would imply that employees that are objects/tools that owned by another (aka, slaves). These two humans CHOSE to find employment with Aston Martin for various reasons (pay, new grounds, benefits, closer to home, better positioning, career progress). It is their own choice that they made when the opportunity was presented to them.

Watch your words, they are loaded like a gun and have an impact on how people interpret events.
I meant "stole" as in they're a valuable commodity that RBR would have prefered to keep. It's a pretty common English expression that really doesn't have any negative connotations, I certainly wasn't trying to infer any.

NAPI10

Re: 2022 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Vettel must be preparing his resignation letter....Car is 1.5s slower on such a small track. They broke the car with these new upgrades #-o #-o #-o

JPower

NAPI10 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 17:23
Vettel must be preparing his resignation letter....Car is 1.5s slower on such a small track. They broke the car with these new upgrades #-o #-o #-o
It's not broken as it looks fine in the race, but they definitely haven't figured out how to set it up for qualifying. Pretty embarrassing.

wesley123

Why is it embarrassing? This team has a lot of new people and new facilities, of course they won’t turn into a contender day one.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JPower

wesley123 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:38
Why is it embarrassing? This team has a lot of new people and new facilities, of course they won’t turn into a contender day one.
Who said anything about being a contender? I'm just talking about the regression to not getting out of Q1 lately.

Like I said, the car seems fine during the race but whoever is doing setup is missing the mark in qualifying.

wesley123

JPower wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:58
wesley123 wrote:
Who said anything about being a contender? I'm just talking about the regression to not getting out of Q1 lately.

Like I said, the car seems fine during the race but whoever is doing setup is missing the mark in qualifying.
My point being that the team is essentially new, their results are going to be hit-or-miss.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

Historically Force india tend to sacrifice qualifying pace for race pace, but doing that then being one second down is seriously shocking!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JordanMugen

JPower wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 18:58
wesley123 wrote:
It was only 1.6 seconds covering the whole field in Q1. It doesn't take much variation to swing AMR from the back to the mid or upper midfield and vice versa.

They did have some good results with the updated car, so it may have potential (maybe more positional than the old car) even if they are missing the setup window recently.

ME4ME

wesley123 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 19:55
My point being that the team is essentially new, their results are going to be hit-or-miss.
The team used to be better than this though.
I agree it will take further time for the new hirings to integrate themselves fully into the team and contribute according to their potential.

But I also agree to the above that the current performance is just embarrasing. Was thinking of just that while watching the race - how their current performance reflects on the Aston Martin brand.
They are absolutely nowhere and are among the cars that are regularly off track, spun and in the gravel trap.

I have no expectations of Lance Stroll, he is who he is.

But Vettel? What on earth is he doing. He is nowhere close to driving like a 4x champion. He's just going through the motions, filling a seat in the sport. He should've stopped serval years ago. He's inconsistent and crash prone. I wish they'd taken Bottas or campained for Alonso.