FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TimW

Re: FIA Thread

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 19:41
GrizzleBoy wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 19:38
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 18:28

Where do you stop with that though? Do we not go to the UK or the USA because we sent people into other countries to kill people because of Iraq...whatnot. Do we not go to Germany because of WW1 and WW2? Do we not go to other countries because of slavery?
Well then another option is to allow people to speak their minds or wear whatever colour T shirt they like.
Of course, but in some countries...doing things against their laws/beliefs may cause upset.
So would it be OK to race in a country with apartheid? And if so, would you ask Lewis not to be openly black, to avoid upsetting the locals?

Tiny73

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in the thread earlier or not but let’s not confuse the FIA with F1, whilst intrinsically linked they are 2 separate entities. The FIA makes the rules, F1 makes the show/money and they seem to be interested in increasing their audience which, believe it or not, includes people of diverse backgrounds. I’m not really sure the FIA have or indeed should have any say in what a driver does or says off the race track (or wears but that’s a whole other debate :D ).

Whatever your views I think history will show the FIA on the wrong side of this.

Airshifter

Big Tea wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 17:27
Where as I support the case of what most drivers are fronting, I would prefer that drivers be drivers on F1 time, and politicians on their own time.
If things overlap, so be it, use the publicity. But I prefer sport to be sport and not include politics of any sort.

If it is something that is inherent or happens in that sport, fair play, there is a case such as Hamilton's call for diversity, or if a driver was given grief about gender or religious beliefs etc, that's different, but anything without a direct baring I prefer not to mix.

There will always be overlaps, but until now we have avoided most problems
Well put. And though I also support the vast majority of the issues that current drivers are supporting, we have to keep in mind that allowing them freedom to do these things on F1/FIA time might also allow drivers to support more divisive topics that many of us don't agree on.

If it goes unchecked then the sport is dragged into possibilities of bias and picking sides. As an example a number of drivers voiced opinions on the LGBTQ issues, and the FIA backed then somewhat, even including the "We Race As One" logos and such. What happens when a group of drivers voice opinions on radical religious beliefs, get behind Putin in his invasion, or support pedophilia? And to further that thought, many of the people who don't support the LGBTQ rights think that way due to religious beliefs, so we have allowed a sport to insult their belief system.

Zynerji

I don't understand why there is any concern by an automobile association as to human sexuality, or why there are people that genuinely believe there should be. 🙄

Go pose on social media. It's literally designed for these concerns.

GrizzleBoy

Airshifter wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 00:44
Big Tea wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 17:27
Where as I support the case of what most drivers are fronting, I would prefer that drivers be drivers on F1 time, and politicians on their own time.
If things overlap, so be it, use the publicity. But I prefer sport to be sport and not include politics of any sort.

If it is something that is inherent or happens in that sport, fair play, there is a case such as Hamilton's call for diversity, or if a driver was given grief about gender or religious beliefs etc, that's different, but anything without a direct baring I prefer not to mix.

There will always be overlaps, but until now we have avoided most problems
Well put. And though I also support the vast majority of the issues that current drivers are supporting, we have to keep in mind that allowing them freedom to do these things on F1/FIA time might also allow drivers to support more divisive topics that many of us don't agree on.

If it goes unchecked then the sport is dragged into possibilities of bias and picking sides. As an example a number of drivers voiced opinions on the LGBTQ issues, and the FIA backed then somewhat, even including the "We Race As One" logos and such. What happens when a group of drivers voice opinions on radical religious beliefs, get behind Putin in his invasion, or support pedophilia? And to further that thought, many of the people who don't support the LGBTQ rights think that way due to religious beliefs, so we have allowed a sport to insult their belief system.
Its kind of weird seeing people making the argument that statements or movements that essentially mean "we are all humans and we are all equal" being supported by the sport or even just individual drivers is something that maybe needs to be toned down a bit.

What happens if you support the war in Ukraine? Your pay driver son gets dropped by Haas team and replaced by K-Mag. Haas don't pay you your money back and your home grand prix drops off the calendar.

What happens if your religion doesn't allow for homosexuals to also be seen as humans? Who cares? Find a sport more accommodating to your desire to elevate your perceived humanity level based on your sexuality.

If you support pedophiles, you're not getting any sponsors and no team will let you set foot in their garage.

F1: We Race as One.

Some idiot: And I took that personally.

Jolle

I always find it strange that equality and/or equal rights/basic human rights is seen as something political.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 11:02
I always find it strange that equality and/or equal rights/basic human rights is seen as something political.
Agreed.

I'm even more concerned that he raised Norris promoting Mental Health awareness as an issue.

Who has a problem with THAT???

What next, he doesn't want drivers promoting healthy exercise and eating?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

hollus

Jolle wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 11:02

And yet it is. It only takes a bunch of people deciding that it is politics, putting it at the top of their political agenda and viola, it is politics. Politics is like statistics, it embeds itself into everything and ruins everything ;-)

So let's not make politics the central point of this thread, you all came here to talk about car related stuff, right?
No politics in the forum, at least not any more than directly related to the topic at hand, thank you all.

Several posts have been deleted
Rivals, not enemies.

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

GrizzleBoy

Still trying to save face.

The man got fired.

He did something obviously, undeniably, history books entry level wrong, and got fired.

They gave him the chance to leave with some dignity by offering him a "new role" within the organisation that he obviously wouldn't want, allowing him to be the one that walks away instead of getting straight kicked out.

But really, he got fired.

The interesting question though, is what about the entire room of stewards that decided on the day that the stuff he got fired for was perfectly fine.

Seems awfully strange to fire Masi, and not those who were in next in the line of power when it came to proper enforcement of the rules and the ultimate decision makers.

Unless the perception of him being biased based on televised interactions with teams seeming to be more favourable to some and less to others also heavily compounded the untenable position his job was already in.

diffuser

GrizzleBoy wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 17:17

The man got fired.

He did something obviously, undeniably, history books entry level wrong, and got fired.

They gave him the chance to leave with some dignity by offering him a "new role" within the organisation that he obviously wouldn't want, allowing him to be the one that walks away instead of getting straight kicked out.

The interesting question though, is what about the entire room of stewards that decided on the day that the stuff he got fired for was perfectly fine.

Seems awfully strange to fire Masi, and not those who were in next in the line of power when it came to proper enforcement of the rules and the ultimate decision makers.

Unless the perception of him being biased based on televised interactions with teams seeming to be more favourable to some and less to others also heavily compounded the untenable position his job was already in.

I don't care for the guy but....you're reading alot into that statement. It says he left, not that he was fired. Many of the statements around him this year were along the lines that he had the FIA, legally, by the short hairs. For all we know, he received a golden parachute.

GrizzleBoy

diffuser wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 22:44
GrizzleBoy wrote:

The man got fired.

I don't care for the guy but....you're reading alot into that statement. It says he left, not that he was fired. Many of the statements around him this year were along the lines that he had the FIA, legally, by the short hairs. For all we know, he received a golden parachute.
Can't ignore the result of the investigation 5hat essentially said he made incorrect decisions and did not apply the rules correctly. Those are all facts.

Meaning he was removed from his position and offered a other position. Those are facts.

He obviously did not take up his new position and decided to leave the organisation. Those are facts.

The FIA initially did not even want to admit he made any mistakes. Only pressure from the F1 community not accepting his actions like it was okay made them actually investigate and just barely admit "human error" was made. Those are facts.

Any in any case, whether he was pushed out by giving him a position they knew he would t want or by making him an offer he couldn't refuse that meant he'd have to leave, its all the same outcome. They wanted him gone.

diffuser

GrizzleBoy wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 23:44
diffuser wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

The man got fired.

Can't ignore the result of the investigation 5hat essentially said he made incorrect decisions and did not apply the rules correctly. Those are all facts.

Meaning he was removed from his position and offered a other position. Those are facts.

He obviously did not take up his new position and decided to leave the organisation. Those are facts.

The FIA initially did not even want to admit he made any mistakes. Only pressure from the F1 community not accepting his actions like it was okay made them actually investigate and just barely admit "human error" was made. Those are facts.

Any in any case, whether he was pushed out by giving him a position they knew he would t want or by making him an offer he couldn't refuse that meant he'd have to leave, its all the same outcome. They wanted him gone.
Don't disagree, but that's your opinion and is not written about in that Article.

Quantum

diffuser wrote:

I would say that's probably a stretch. Given the nightmare FIA scenario if Mercedes contested this (or Hamilton unilaterally) in a court, it's likely they would've found Masi negligent in his role.
In those cases, legally, the FIA can cut him loose with not so much as a dime.
Probably best for the sport that Merc opted against the shitshow route, but this does not mean Masi is not culpable and has the FIA by the "short hairs".
"Interplay of triads"

Big Tea

Quantum wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 09:32
diffuser wrote:

I would say that's probably a stretch. Given the nightmare FIA scenario if Mercedes contested this (or Hamilton unilaterally) in a court, it's likely they would've found Masi negligent in his role.
In those cases, legally, the FIA can cut him loose with not so much as a dime.
Probably best for the sport that Merc opted against the shitshow route, but this does not mean Masi is not culpable and has the FIA by the "short hairs".
That is of course if everything is as it seems above board. There may well have been 'suggestions from important people' (not team bosses), that the show would be better if this did or did not happen at times, which he would then have to mention in his own defence. And they may not want that to happen, so keep him sweet but don't let on.

There are many FIA jobs in Aus, or that can be done remotely.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.