Williams FW44

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomazy

Re: Williams FW44

From AMUS
Now Albon confirmed that even more is possible: "In Silverstone we had about 80 percent of our big upgrade together. For Austria we have the package complete. I can only thank my mechanics."
20% more new parts for Albon in Austria it seems.

Moctecus

tomazy wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 17:13
20% more new parts for Albon in Austria it seems.
The FIA document reveals the new parts as updated front suspension shrouds

Good thing they didn't have those ready for Silverstone, or they'd be down a set now.

Moctecus

Nice comparison shots via Nicolas Carpentiers / F1i

SiLo

Anyone notice Albon porpoising a lot in Austria? I noticed it at the end of the straights.
Felipe Baby!

organic

SiLo wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:49
Anyone notice Albon porpoising a lot in Austria? I noticed it at the end of the straights.
Yes there was quite a lot. Very noticeable compared to other cars at Austria

EJ22B

I have noticed a lot of complaints by both drivers on how weak the front end is and how easily it gets affected by dirty air.

Could this be due Williams using the inboard section to generate downforce whereas every other team is using the outboard section or a middle ground between outboard and inboard section.

Comparison between front wings of all teams:-

The second image is of their updated front wing introduced in Silverstone where they have moved the location of the flap adjuster to the outside.

Last edited by EJ22B on 14 Jul 2022, 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Brooksy

Scarbs summary of Williams upgrades.

I honestly didn't notice the cockpit aero.

WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

EJ22B

It looks like Williams has reverted back to the older specification twin saddle cooler layout.

New slimmer cooler introduced at the British Gp:-

They reverted back to the older twin saddle cooler layout for the Austrian Gp:-

Running the twin saddle cooler layout for the French Gp:-

organic

EJ22B wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 12:21
It looks like Williams has reverted back to the older specification twin saddle cooler layout.

New slimmer cooler introduced at the British Gp:-
https://ibb.co/42BtgtD

They reverted back to the older twin saddle cooler layout for the Austrian Gp:-
https://ibb.co/68QBPGY

Running the twin saddle cooler layout for the French Gp:-
https://ibb.co/TYJ4kvQ
Arrangement that they run might be dependent on cooling requirements of the circuit. More performance with the British GP layout but altitude @ Austria & at France it will be hot. Or they didn't see the benefits they were hoping for from running the single cooler

vorticism

Last edited by vorticism on 22 Aug 2022, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.
𓄀

GrizzleBoy

The sad blue caterpillar stared in awe at the beautiful green butterfly, hoping it would soon build its own cocoon and emerge reborn as a winged beauty.

SiLo

I really wanted to see some CFD on the Williams sidepods with the hold opened up at the back. Sad that they have moved away from that concept as it was pretty cool, but they never ran it I believe in a race and now have redesigned the entire sidepod structures.
Felipe Baby!

vorticism

SiLo wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:40
I really wanted to see some CFD on the Williams sidepods with the hold opened up at the back. Sad that they have moved away from that concept as it was pretty cool, but they never ran it I believe in a race and now have redesigned the entire sidepod structures.
Yes, I don't think it was used outside testing, was it?
𓄀

SiLo

vorticism wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 15:30
SiLo wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:40
Yes, I don't think it was used outside testing, was it?
It might have been run in a free practice session, but I never saw it run in a qualifying or race.
Felipe Baby!

Stu

I think that it probably fell foul of the number of surfaces regulation that has persuaded Mercedes to shape their side-pod/wing combo as it is. I thought that it was a very interesting detail in the car at launch.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.