All kinds of news about F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CMSMJ1

Re: All kinds of news about F1.

So many posts of argumentative nonsense removed (and some that are caught in the crossfire) but that was a grim task and for that I ask you to give your head a wobble before you post any more inane racist drivel.

We can allow sensible discourse, reasoned debate but that thread was outrageous.

Calm down the ad hominem posts please.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

mclaren111

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-h ... /10330326/

Interesting... Some common sense... :D :D

Big Tea

Reading some other threads and discussions of the cost cap, I was wondering- If a team makes a component for the car, uses it, then replaces it with a new one, can they sell the component and recoup say half the cost and deduct it from the cap?
It has not actually cost them that amount if they sell it on.

I assume the obvious answer would be no, they have a set expenditure, but technically if they recover 50% of the cost, it has not cost that amount.
Anyone hear of this being challenged?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

Its not 'news' as such, but relating to new regs.

Am I right in thinking from after next year tyre warming will not be allowed? Which BTW I am all in favour of, but would like to know if it will be the same compound tyres as now?

I foresee all sorts of problems if it is the same compounds, cars will be skating around for two laps after a stop and the first corner incident as we saw today will be a regular event.

Surely there will be a new tyre to cope with no warm up?

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:38

Am I right in thinking from after next year tyre warming will not be allowed? Which BTW I am all in favour of, but would like to know if it will be the same compound tyres as now?

I foresee all sorts of problems if it is the same compounds, cars will be skating around for two laps after a stop and the first corner incident as we saw today will be a regular event.

next year they are banned from what ive heard.

It might even make teams have a extra pit stop if there is hard work warming a harder tyre up, and it takes a lot less to warm a soft up. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get them up to temperature and how much lap time is lost.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:40
Big Tea wrote:

It might even make teams have a extra pit stop if there is hard work warming a harder tyre up, and it takes a lot less to warm a soft up. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get them up to temperature and how much lap time is lost.
If there is a soft tyre option, but if it is the same range as now, what of the tracks that already use the softest?

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:40
Big Tea wrote:

The tyres will have to change massively - you can't take a tyre from 15-20deg C up to 115+degC and expect it to behave well on the car. For a start there is the tyre pressure issue - a c.100degC change in temperature is going to cause a c.1bar change in tyre pressure. The tread that is capable of providing safe grip at 15degC is not the same as one that can hold out for several laps at 115degC.

I foresee tyres becoming a headline issue again, sadly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1

Indycar manages the warm up and decent tyre life out of their 2x spec options. I think it'll be a storm in a teacup and we'll really appreciate some great battles as tyres start to come in and the hot tyres drivers will be making all of the moves to get that advantage.

bring it on
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 18:56
I assume the obvious answer would be no, they have a set expenditure, but technically if they recover 50% of the cost, it has not cost that amount.
Who exactly are they going to sell it to? :wtf:

Someone running a Formula Libre car? Unfortunately it is no longer the days of the Tasman series or so on where F1 teams like Lotus, Brabham or McLaren sold a lot of customer cars (be they F1-spec, F2, Indy 500, sportscars etc).

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:01
The tyres will have to change massively - you can't take a tyre from 15-20deg C up to 115+degC and expect it to behave well on the car. For a start there is the tyre pressure issue - a c.100degC change in temperature is going to cause a c.1bar change in tyre pressure. The tread that is capable of providing safe grip at 15degC is not the same as one that can hold out for several laps at 115degC.
F2 use substantially similar 18" Pirelli tyres with no warmers and have no problems whatsoever. Far from massive changes, Pirelli could just adjust the compounding of the F1 rubber to be similar to the F2 rubber -- that is very much a trivial change.

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:29
Big Tea wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 18:56
Who exactly are they going to sell it to? :wtf:

Someone running a Formula Libre car? Unfortunately it is no longer the days of the Tasman series or so on where F1 teams like Lotus, Brabham or McLaren sold a lot of customer cars (be they F1-spec, F2, Indy 500, sportscars etc).

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:01
F2 use substantially similar 18" Pirelli tyres with no warmers and have no problems whatsoever. Far from massive changes, Pirelli could just adjust the compounding of the F1 rubber to be similar to the F2 rubber -- that is very much a trivial change.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... 007013.jpg
Plenty of these about https://www.f1authentics.com/collection ... g-tables-1

Even a dummy car from scrap repaired parts would cover a considerable slice. Petronas head office etc. ( can not find a wink ikon)

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:29

Do F2 tyres have to contend with 1000bhp+? Do they have to contend with F1-levels of acceleration (particularly in braking and laterally)? Is a simple compound change enough? Would that just mean that F1 tyres give F2 levels of grip? How long will they last when subjected to the much higher loads applied by F1?

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

J.A.W.

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 15:58

Ol' Bernie is now being 'hung out to dry' on 'tax fraud' charges - quite soon after being 'condemned'
for expressing support for Piquet's position, & asking why 'the war' in Eastern Europe is continuing
& not being negotiated to a peaceful conclusion - esp' since (according to Bernie) V. Putin is a
sincere bloke who is up for it, but hasn't even been contacted about it, amazingly enough!

Coincidence, or consequence?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Just_a_fan

J.A.W. wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 02:28
mclaren111 wrote:

Ol' Bernie is now being 'hung out to dry' on 'tax fraud' charges - quite soon after being 'condemned'
for expressing support for Piquet's position, & asking why 'the war' in Eastern Europe is continuing
& not being negotiated to a peaceful conclusion - esp' since (according to Bernie) V. Putin is a
sincere bloke who is up for it, but hasn't even been contacted about it, amazingly enough!

Coincidence.

Bernie's a crook that has had plenty of court time well before Putin's shenanigans.

InsaneX_Badger

J.A.W. wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 02:28
mclaren111 wrote:

Definitely coincidence, takes a long time to charge someone for such an amount.