How does porpoising not wear the plank below the minimum allowed depth?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
gold333

How does porpoising not wear the plank below the minimum allowed depth?

As far as I know F1 cars still (oddly) have that wooden plank underneath.

In F1 history there was that famous plank disqualification in ‘94 where Schumacher was disqualified because his plank ( 1 cm ) wore more than the allowed 10% ( 1 mm ).

Is this rule still enforced? If so how does the constant bouncing not wear the plank beyond the allowed limit.

If not, why is the wooden plank still there in the first place?
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

nmoleiro

Re: How does porpoising not wear the plank below the minimum allowed depth?

I think the rule still applies. The cars have titanium skid blocks, level with the wood plank to prevent its wear. And to make some sparks too!…

godlameroso

Well, the only thing I can think of is, if the floor of the car is causing the central section to buckle and hit the ground instead of the plank, then the car is taking all of the impact and not the plank. Which basically betrays the existence of the plank.

Imagine you just installed some floor mats in your car, and you're wondering why the car is so slow all of a sudden, then you realize the mats aren't letting you mash the throttle all the way. Then you wonder why you can't run any lower.
Saishū kōnā

gold333

While I really appreciate the answers given, in my opinion they don’t answer the question entirely.

If the plank is allowed 1mm of wear, and it’s hitting the ground constantly, it would wear out more than 1mm ( a lot more).

It seems like the plank wear rule is not enforced anymore and the penalty in hitting the ground is considered as a loss in kph.

Can anyone verify this?
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Zynerji

gold333 wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 02:22
While I really appreciate the answers given, in my opinion they don’t answer the question entirely.

If the plank is allowed 1mm of wear, and it’s hitting the ground constantly, it would wear out more than 1mm ( a lot more).

It seems like the plank wear rule is not enforced anymore and the penalty in hitting the ground is considered as a loss in kph.

Can anyone verify this?
I love a self balancing system🥰🥰

Tzk
Tzk

gold333 wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 02:22
It seems like the plank wear rule is not enforced anymore
Plank rules are enforced, but it the question is where the plank wear is measured. There were rumors about moveable skidblocks which tilt away from the ground to prevent wear. Guess where the FIA measures wear of the plank... :D

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/disa ... /10335974/