My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LegendaryM

My F1 car - LegendaryM

EDIT: I have uploaded the model so it can be viewed in a browser with solid edge viewer: http://www.filefactory.com/file/aghfbc3/n/DR09B_exe
For about 2 years now, on and off I have been designing my own f1 car. I have basically completed it although there are still a few more things I would like to do (rear wing supports, brawn-style front wing endplates and changes to the front brake ducts).
Anyway, here are some pictures:
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 07 Apr 2010, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added member name to title.
MRVC: Tolo Racing

cba_

Re: My F1 car

So is this legal?

jddh1

I like the TRIPLE deck diffuser on your design. Have you had a CFD run of your concept? I'm curious to see the results.

LegendaryM

yeah I think it is legal. I havent been able to mesh it because my computers not that powerful and the models quite complex (and im not very good at meshing)

coreybaxter

WOW =D> very cool...i love the diffuser. Its look so complex is there anyone who could understand it in real life..jk. great work.

alex1015

With budgets caps coming into play as F1Technical we should begin preparing our entry into the season, this looks like a fine start. I'm sure someone on here would be happy to mesh it if you're willing to share. What CAD program did you use to model?

We can buy Cosworth engines as well and we're nearly there!

PlatinumZealot

Wicked!

You sound like the right person to ask... Did you use lofts to make it? or did you use regular extruded/sweep etc and fillet shapes?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LegendaryM

I used lofts for some parts and just regular extrusions for others. Off the top of my head the wheelbase is 3135mm, and if you say a double-deck diffuser has one hole, and a triple-deck diffuser has two, this is a quintuple deck diffuser.
I used solid edge v18

Ciro Pabón

Wow. =D>
Ciro

Scania

so you can make CFD by yourself =D>

ernos5

very nice car, it looks like you put a lot of effort into it =D>

I believe that the design will have a lot of drag, will all those diffusers and aerodynamic pieces as such. :wink:

But that's just an educated guess :mrgreen:

PNSD

Wow! Very nice.

Got to say that rear end is pretty nice. Would be interesting to see CFD on it.

One thing though, what is the bit in front of the rear wheels? The bit on the floor?

Callum

Whats up with the weird roll hoop? and what are the three holes each side on the floor?

axle

It would be great to see this go through a CFD simulation, would be nice for you to see where your guesses as to what would work etc are right or wrong.

Such as your flow conditioners next to the airbox, diffuser, floor design in front of the rear wheels etc etc...

I'd love to have the skill to put my ideas on paper (and get me head around the regulations enough to know where and how I could try to exploit them).
- Axle

xpensive

How times changes, I remember at University almost 30 years ago, when I did something similar actually.

On the draftboard though, with mylar-film and ink. :oops:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"