2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

organic wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:40
Alonsismo wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:34
alpine needs to upgrade its front wing.
the need more traction on the front of the car to be able to have a better balance for high downforce corners
Yeah they need more front end, like most teams. But it needs to be brought in a way that's efficient, cheap and realistic. Front wing upgrades are expensive & in the new rule regs the FW is fairly prescribed so not many avenues to gain tons of laptime there I think. The area for development to alter the balance is undoubtedly the floor which Alpine has been developing.

Earlier in the year they asked Fry about that. His response was "Upgrading the wing costs more than the floor to upgrade and get us a 10th of a second. Upgrading the floor will get us half a second or more". I suspect the front wing's importance to the overall DF of the car has changed along with the regs. Since the floor is where you're creating most of the DF and the teams are very limited in what they can do with the front wing, Most teams are just running the front wing above the height of the front of the floor to keep it from stealing air and creating turbulence to the floor. In past years the aero all started with the front wing as it was a big part of the out-wash, that isn't the case any more.

One of the things that came up on Sky sports today was that RBR had noticed that Ferrari was going off the gas sooner in the front limited high speed curves and then getting on the gas early. They used the rear DF to power out of the corner quickly. Turning a front limited corner into a rear limited. No easy thing to do, might be why LeClerc screwed up on execution.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

yes, with the floor you can gain more downforce, but alpine this race had to reduce their rear wing downforce to get a correct balance.
i think that a new front wing could able alpine to use a higher downforce setup on the rear wing, and even gaining less downforce than upgrading the floor, it could give them more performance due to being able to have a better balance on different setups

diffuser

Alonsismo wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 12:09
yes, with the floor you can gain more downforce, but alpine this race had to reduce their rear wing downforce to get a correct balance.
i think that a new front wing could able alpine to use a higher downforce setup on the rear wing, and even gaining less downforce than upgrading the floor, it could give them more performance due to being able to have a better balance on different setups
You sure balance was the problem and not losing too much time down the straights? Couple of long straights in Riccard.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

diffuser wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 14:08
Alonsismo wrote:
You sure balance was the problem and not losing too much time down the straights? Couple of long straights in Riccard.
im not sure, but this GP alpine fixe de understeering with a low downforce rear wing.
i think that they could have been faster if they could use the normal rear wing and a bigger downforce front wing.

continuum16

Alonsismo wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 14:11
diffuser wrote:
Alonsismo wrote:
im not sure, but this GP alpine fixe de understeering with a low downforce rear wing.
i think that they could have been faster if they could use the normal rear wing and a bigger downforce front wing.
I haven’t done any in depth analysis but it seems like the team went for a fairly medium-df medium-drag rear wing and overall setup; because we’ve seen in Miami or Australia or especially Baku what happens when they run a low DF rear wing. I’m pretty sure their speed trap numbers were fairly average this weekend, compared to when they clearly take off a bunch of rear wing. But maybe they did run it differently.

Either way Alonso wasn’t finishing any better than P6 and Ocon was only 1 spot off from maximum which could’ve possibly been avoided if he didn’t hit Tsunoda on lap 1.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

continuum16 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 15:46
Alonsismo wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 14:11
diffuser wrote:

I haven’t done any in depth analysis but it seems like the team went for a fairly medium-df medium-drag rear wing and overall setup; because we’ve seen in Miami or Australia or especially Baku what happens when they run a low DF rear wing. I’m pretty sure their speed trap numbers were fairly average this weekend, compared to when they clearly take off a bunch of rear wing. But maybe they did run it differently.

Either way Alonso wasn’t finishing any better than P6 and Ocon was only 1 spot off from maximum which could’ve possibly been avoided if he didn’t hit Tsunoda on lap 1.
yes, alpine was fast this gp, but im saying this because i hope alpine can "catch" mercedes (at least be close).
i really like how this car works, is a very good base for a race winning car, but it still feels a little bit lazy on long medium speed corners.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Alonsismo wrote:
You have cost limits, it's far more beneficial to spend the money on the floor for more downforce and then reduce the rear wing angle to balance the car instead of wasting money on highly limited front wings.

Enstone
Enstone

diffuser wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 22:49
Alonsismo wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 20:53
now we have the 4th fastest car on racepace and the 3rd/4th fastest (almost tied with merc) on qualy pace.

Alpine can step up to the top for the next season.
not with a dominant car, but with a 4 teams battle for the championsip.

Alpine can create a 2012 lotus for the next year, and with this car, Fernando can win the championship.
And they're hiring 75 more people to bring the total employees to 950.
It's gonna be hard task to hire 75 valuable and strong people who will bring Alpine a fighting/innovative spirit... they actually have a lack in some area(s) to do the step from 4th in the constructor championship to 3rd or even 2nd !

They need to get those employees from Redbull, Ferrari or Mercs, not from Williams or Aston Martin :?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Whatever happened to that rumor of Renault trying to poach Newey :lol:

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It is news for me. really? I heard AM tried but not Renault. by the way Mercedes going to introduce new engine and power unit after summer break. When Alpine going to have updated engine and power unit.

danypons8

I think Alpine (Renault) can fight perfectly with Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull.
They have good builds, installations, and people.
But they only have 2 engines for collect datas, and this is not good, almost this first season.
They are gaining speed with the upgrades, but is not sufficient for fight with Mercedes.

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

I do wonder what is that major thing lacking in this car that stops them being a frontrunner? Or is it many factors combined? Lack of downforce, traction, pure engine power ?? The car seems to like high speed corners and straights.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 05:23
Whatever happened to that rumor of Renault trying to poach Newey :lol:
They interviewed him and decided he was too old and chose a much younger Alonso!
Last edited by diffuser on 26 Jul 2022, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Michelangelo wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 14:06
I do wonder what is that major thing lacking in this car that stops them being a frontrunner? Or is it many factors combined? Lack of downforce, traction, pure engine power ?? The car seems to like high speed corners and straights.
There was analysis of the PUs on youtube by this guy with scarbs. Basically they took F1 temp data cut away mechanical grip part at the start and everything after X speed to remove chassis drag from the equation. They summarised that the PUs were almost identical. With the Renault PU being last except in high heat like Miami where it was #1.

The Renault PU has enough power for them to win the championships. With development being shutdown on this PU, the number of teams using it makes no difference. There are rumours that Williams is ready to switch when the new PUs come out.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The issues are largely chassis and aero. Drivers have stated several times that the PU feels good.