Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MtthsMlw

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Great pics from @NicolasF1i

Blackout

So I guess the variable length trumpets are inside the blue colored box... but why would the plenum need such (complex) spaghetti and individual piping between the intercooler and the v6? why it is not an empty box like many other plenums? :P

aleks_ader

Ferrari, Merc and RB also got those spaghetti piping towards plenum. Merc fist started raising its plenum. But HONDA was first to start much more aggressive approach in that area. I guess its all about timing and pulse tuning.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Yes but the Ferrari and Honda designs are very different from this. Their air enters a quite simple chamber above the engine that contains horizontal trumpets first, then out of it come relatively simple pipes that descend to feed each cylinder.
Mercedes was similar atleast between 2014 and 2019, and Renault between 2018 and 2021.
So this 2022 Renault is a bit different.

Scarbs has a different interpretation

with a simple valve, directly at the interccoler outlet, that determines whether the cooled air goes through the long manifold or the short manifold :-k

aleks_ader

Isn't it desirable to have equal length to each cylinder?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

gruntguru

Yes. I think they are.
je suis charlie

Blackout

If I understood Scarbs interpretation well

saviour stivala

Prosit Blachout for the excellent simplified illustration showing the ‘new trend’ of variable length inlet that superseded the variable length inlet trumpets in formula 1. This new trend has been in use for at least the last 2 years. This new adopted trend of variable length inlet apart from optimizing the volume of inlet air according to the load and torque demand must for sure have other benefits from the old system, such as better conditioning of the air prepared for combustion.

johnny comelately

Blackout wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 15:58
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYmNFq5XoAE ... name=large
Do you think the valve settings are binary?

saviour stivala

johnny comelately wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 21:03
Blackout wrote:
If you mean the ‘directional valves (2)’, I believe that a double acting hydraulic actuator/s with position feedback (moog valve) controls both throttles (6) and the variable length inlet directional valves (2).

Blackout

johnny comelately wrote:
Blackout wrote:
I have 0 idea if the valves that are there are binary or if they can mix both configurations

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 15:32
johnny comelately wrote:
Blackout wrote:
I have 0 idea if the valves that are there are binary or if they can mix both configurations
Scarbs wrote "With valves in the intercooler outlet duct varying the flow". Maybe he wrote that without much thought... but I would have used "switching the flow" for binary and what he wrote for non binary.

Dernie Ecclestone

Seems to be simply equal length CF runners sprouting out of the metallic output pipe of the intercooler, although they are longer than what has been seen in the past. No valve hardware is visible on the metallic pipe ahead of the collector, so I doubt there is some sort of double plenum. I don't think there would be a benefit to switching between short and long singular charge pipes ahead of a set of short equal length runners.

What does stand out, as Blackout noted, is the metallic pedestal that the CF pipes connect to. This is unique as far as I have seen compared to all the other engines across the past eight seasons. This interface sets high above the cam covers, when typically it is set so low that they are hidden behind the cam covers. As mentioned this may be where a VIM is located; if so, they would have less travel than what we see on the Ferrari/Honda type VIM.

The other item that stands out to me is the intercooler having two outputs instead of one output leading into a wye. Maybe there are also two inputs and it's split internally. Otherwise it seems like an odd choice to divert flow within the intercooler rather than within a pipe.

sosic2121

johnny comelately wrote:
Blackout wrote:
If it is (and I think it is), IMO it's inferior design for engine performance :?
Maybe it is better for packaging??

saviour stivala

That the new variable length intake system being used have a performance advantage over what was used before I have no doubt as such system would have been easily proved on dyno.