Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Mercedes W13

Wing with endplates behaves more like a wing with elliptical distribution or a wing with infinite span. Has to do with spanwise lift (coefficient) distribution. For elliptical distribution, speed is not a factor.

Can we move to W13 topics? Downwash of the mid-wing doesn't change through the operational speed range, just like it doesn't change for any wing on an F1 car.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

etusch

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Very good Etusch, you deserve a bottle of Danziger Goldwater for that :wink:

Henri
Henri

The car is fast in the twisty bits but is getting destroyed by red bull and ferrari in straight line speed... they need for engine power and less drag

SiLo

Henri wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 10:12

The car is fast in the twisty bits but is getting destroyed by red bull and ferrari in straight line speed... they need for engine power and less drag
They need more efficient downforce first.
Felipe Baby!

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 06:49
Wing with endplates behaves more like a wing with elliptical distribution or a wing with infinite span. Has to do with spanwise lift (coefficient) distribution. For elliptical distribution, speed is not a factor.

https://images.slideplayer.com/26/85240 ... ide_20.jpg

Can we move to W13 topics? Downwash of the mid-wing doesn't change through the operational speed range, just like it doesn't change for any wing on an F1 car.
Misrepresentation of the math. But another subject. :)
You speak of spanwise lift distribution for an elliptical planform. Nothing related to velocity. That's related to the wing geometry, and why I have been a proponent, and called crazy by some members for my redbull car theories on such geometries.
But's let's leave the theory discussion for another thread.

The W13 crash structure wings do not have endplates, and they are not elliptical. So you are supporting my suspicions by your statement. :mrgreen:

The car suffers in the straights, but why can't the team pin this down?
From your data, how much more drag does the car have than the redbull?
For Sure!!

Stu

ringo wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 15:25
Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 06:49

https://images.slideplayer.com/26/85240 ... ide_20.jpg

Misrepresentation of the math. But another subject. :)
You speak of spanwise lift distribution for an elliptical planform. Nothing related to velocity. That's related to the wing geometry, and why I have been a proponent, and called crazy by some members for my redbull car theories on such geometries.
But's let's leave the theory discussion for another thread.

The W13 crash structure wings do not have endplates, and they are not elliptical. So you are supporting my suspicions by your statement. :mrgreen:

The car suffers in the straights, but why can't the team pin this down?
From your data, how much more drag does the car have than the redbull?
Due to the regulations the crash-structure wings should be considered as wing-ish (rather than wing), they are not allowed to have this as an enclosed fairing (it must not exist through the full 360 degrees around the y-axis), this makes it difficult to predict the true flow (as the centre volume will tend to become a vacuum as flow increases). It is also has a very short chord/span ratio, which has a tendency to higher drag.
It would be interesting to see the effect of the ‘wing’ on the rest of the side-pod structure; they have obviously made improvements with the down washing bodywork and suspension elements (which will have changed the flow across the front of the sidepod).
I have a feeling that good CFD plots of the W13 (as it has been raced) will be hard to come by.

This would be a real shame, as you learn more from understanding why something doesn’t work well (their was a huge amount of confidence pre-season from the technical team at Brackley!) than from something that does.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

I was lucky today, a Merc guy gave me LH's windscreen from the Austrian GP's W13.
He was impressed with my technical knowledge.
I'm so happy :) I've a piece of the W13 :)

Picture:
https://i.postimg.cc/t4xj3MTv/296324826 ... 5160-n.jpg

pursue_one's

cplchanb
cplchanb

Jozsusz wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:52
I was lucky today, a Merc guy gave me LH's windscreen from the Austrian GP's W13.

Picture:
Wow! Nice gift! How did you talk your way to it???

PlatinumZealot

The F1 engineers use correction factors.. A whole bunch of them to account for the speed difference from tunnel to track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

cplchanb wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 03:55
Jozsusz wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:52

Picture:
Wow! Nice gift! How did you talk your way to it???
The guy showed us Russell's steering wheel and we started to chat about the clutch, bite point, mark button, strat, hpp modes, chassis defaults, etc.

nico5

Henri wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 10:12

Yeah, same in Silverstone, but it's also dependant on how they set up the car compared to the others. In Barcelona Lewis was fastest in the twisty section throughout the race but then with the same spec of car they got destroyed in Monaco and Baku. Baku was like 0.1-0.2s deficit in each corner, quite ridiculous. In France Lewis was paying 16kph and 0.45s in T11-T12 only, which are very pricey corners true, but my god...

pursue_one's

Halo fairing

De Jokke

Man, does anything work on this merc, again one second down on a short track.
This car is a dud.
Merc should be trying out different sidepods and floor stuff, testing things out like hell. Why aren't they?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!