2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:07
New PU's in the car this weekend for both Max and Checo. No penalty thankfully.

Wonder why they bringing a fresh engine to the pool.
That is bad news. I assume it is with the old ERS system, so in Spa PU4 with penalty's!
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Wouter wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:32
chrisc90 wrote:

That is bad news. I assume it is with the old ERS system, so in Spa PU4 with penalty's!
Yeah, I could understand the PU as unable to change that, but the ERS system is a bit of a shocker, unless they are testing a new one and its 99.9% ready to go.

Cant you test them before the deadline and they become hologamated?

Neuron
Neuron

Wouter wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

With RBR's top speed and low drag, SPA and Monza are the most valuable tracks to get a penalty imo.

Alexf1
Alexf1

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:35
Wouter wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Yeah, I could understand the PU as unable to change that, but the ERS system is a bit of a shocker, unless they are testing a new one and its 99.9% ready to go.

Cant you test them before the deadline and they become hologamated?
Yes, homologation deadline is last possible date. For all we know it was ready and brought as spares for this race.

chrisc90

Neuron wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:40
Wouter wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

With RBR's top speed and low drag, SPA and Monza are the most valuable tracks to get a penalty imo.
It could have been penalty free though if they didnt swap ERS over this race. Now next race they will incur a penalty (or one after) when they bring their new ERS.

Does anyone know exactly what components make up the ERS?

Today we've took: PU, Turbo, MGU-H, MGU-K.

I seriously hope this is the new ERS system they are using. Which would gather good data for the team to work on over the break incase need any finer details before its sealed.

Alexf1
Alexf1

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:43
Neuron wrote:
Wouter wrote:

It could have been penalty free though if they didnt swap ERS over this race. Now next race they will incur a penalty (or one after) when they bring their new ERS.

I seriously hope this is the new ERS system they are using. Which would gather good data for the team to work on over the break incase need any finer details before its sealed.
ERS deadline of sep 1st is for ES, MGU-K and CE
https://racingnews365.com/how-f1-manufa ... ir-engines

So only MGU-K would need to be the new spec in this switch. Since Silverstone new spec is allowed under parc fermee

chrisc90

Alexf1 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:50
chrisc90 wrote:
Neuron wrote:

So only MGU-K would need to be the new spec in this switch. Since Silverstone new spec is allowed under parc fermee
Ah, they have ran newer spec components from other races?

Alexf1
Alexf1

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:56
Alexf1 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Don't know. Don't think so. You would want to make as much use of the available development time, but as soon as it's ready you would want to bring it along as spare.

Gillian
Gillian

Not sure why you guys are stressing about an engine penalty. If last year proved anything it is PU penalties are worth it if (1) you have a large gap to the middle pack, (2) lack pace compared to your direct competitor and/or (3) fresher (upgraded) PU means a substantial improvement in pace. Even with a grid penalty Verstappen is likely to reach a podium. Even without a grid penalty P3 could be best result with the current package.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Gillian wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 13:09
Not sure why you guys are stressing about an engine penalty. If last year proved anything it is PU penalties are worth it if (1) you have a large gap to the middle pack, (2) lack pace compared to your direct competitor and/or (3) fresher (upgraded) PU means a substantial improvement in pace. Even with a grid penalty Verstappen is likely to reach a podium. Even without a grid penalty P3 could be best result with the current package.
Maybe because of this:

chrisc90

I guess it does make good sense to use your given allocation, and take the extra penalty at spa where you can make the places up.

If they didn’t use their whole allowance, then they wouldn’t get the penalty at spa.

This could be clever by introducing the last engine/components in the pool before taking a m other full set of components at a track they can make good ground up on from the back.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Alexf1 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 13:03
chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:56
Alexf1 wrote:

Don't know. Don't think so. You would want to make as much use of the available development time, but as soon as it's ready you would want to bring it along as spare.
Both RB cars took new ICE – TURBO – K and H, and both cars took that new lot penalty free. Gasli starts from pit-plane. The hybrid ancillaries which are permitted to performance upgraded are ES – CE and K.

ME4ME

Regarding Verstappens car..
Plenty of people have already pointed out that he got lucky that the fault happened on a saturday. But that doesn't exclude it from happening again on sunday. Quite the opposite, its actually more likely. The cause of the fault might still exist.

If Red Bull Honda aren't entirely sure of what happened and why it happened, and the state of the current hardware, then surely they can't go into a race risking a DNF while fighting for both championships.

That would be like Ferrari being half-sure about Leclercs car on the sunday of the Monaco Grand Prix last year. We all know what happened.

Ensuring that they finish must take higher priority than PU strategy and the potential benefits of minor improvements.

However great a job Honda has done on the new ERS, power output isn't going to improve because its limited by the regulations. So that leaves energy recovery/deployment, mass and volume, CoG, cooling requirements and reliability that might have been improved. Surely after all these years, although beneficial, those final improvements surely must be minor.

chrisc90

RB strategists are just a league ahead of any other team on this grid.

ispano6

Amazing job by Max and the team! Such amazing car control to collect himself after the spin. Car was amazing, as was the PU.