2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 15:15
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 15:01
Amazing comments in this thread...

Alpine can't convince Piastri to sign a new contract.... Even so announce publicly they did :wtf: which is lying to everybody and extremely irrespectful with Piastri, so Piastri is forced to clarify that statement is false by any means... And people say Piastri is unprofessional

And some even said it's Alonso responsibility :shock: #-o

Alpine is proving some serious arrogance, lack of respect, and lack of professionalism with all parts, including us fans. Lying can't be the solution for anything
No.

The way I see it. Alpine think they already have a contract option with Piastri for 2023 and beyond that was signed several years ago. They have decided to exercise that option. Piastsri saying he hasn't signed anything new with Alpine is true but doesn't mean much if the option Alpine are exercising is valid.

I'd be very surprised that Alpine lawyers screwed up the contract and there is an out option. All we know is that everyone was saying that they needed to place him somewhere for next year to retain his rights. Placing him in Alpine falls into that. Like I said before, only the lawyers will figure it out.

At the end of the day all these issues come from a tight budget at Alpine. I'm sure they resisted the multi year deal to Alonso cause they don't have the 20 Million to throw way if Alonso's skills evaporate in 2 years time. You can blame Management if you want but they're just trying to prevent wasting money.
The rumor is that Ocon’s salary was going to be higher than what they proposed Alonso for his renewal, so 2 big salaries is probably a big burden for the Team.

In regards to Piastri and having an option, if what is said is true (that there was a deadline to place him somewhere else), if they did let it lapse then Piastri is in no obligation to stay with the Team… There are suggestions that they were going to place him at Williams, but with no contract / announcement it is just suggestions, Piastri could have easily stayed as reserve driver next year too if Alonso signed his renewal and Williams got a different driver to replace Latiffi (or Latiffi stayed)… If you are Piastri, do you stay with so much insecurity of your future? You already missed a season (2022) and there is potential to miss another one (2023)… I know I would take the offer from McLaren under those circumstances.

langedweil

I smell a new option for Audi to enter the sport.
HuggaWugga !

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 15:49
diffuser wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Alpine can't convince Piastri to sign a new contract.... Even so announce publicly they did :wtf: which is lying to everybody and extremely irrespectful with Piastri, so Piastri is forced to clarify that statement is false by any means... And people say Piastri is unprofessional

Alpine is proving some serious arrogance, lack of respect, and lack of professionalism with all parts, including us fans. Lying can't be the solution for anything
No.

The way I see it. Alpine think they already have a contract option with Piastri for 2023 and beyond that was signed several years ago. They have decided to exercise that option. Piastsri saying he hasn't signed anything new with Alpine is true but doesn't mean much if the option Alpine are exercising is valid.

I'd be very surprised that Alpine lawyers screwed up the contract and there is an out option. All we know is that everyone was saying that they needed to place him somewhere for next year to retain his rights. Placing him in Alpine falls into that. Like I said before, only the lawyers will figure it out.

At the end of the day all these issues come from a tight budget at Alpine. I'm sure they resisted the multi year deal to Alonso cause they don't have the 20 Million to throw way if Alonso's skills evaporate in 2 years time. You can blame Management if you want but they're just trying to prevent wasting money.
The rumor is that Ocon’s salary was going to be higher than what they proposed Alonso for his renewal, so 2 big salaries is probably a big burden for the Team.

In regards to Piastri and having an option, if what is said is true (that there was a deadline to place him somewhere else), if they did let it lapse then Piastri is in no obligation to stay with the Team… There are suggestions that they were going to place him at Williams, but with no contract / announcement it is just suggestions, Piastri could have easily stayed as reserve driver next year too if Alonso signed his renewal and Williams got a different driver to replace Latiffi (or Latiffi stayed)… If you are Piastri, do you stay with so much insecurity of your future? You already missed a season (2022) and there is potential to miss another one (2023)… I know I would take the offer from McLaren under those circumstances.

Wow, not sure how they ever could give that much money to Ocon.

There is a dead line but Everything I ever heard was for 2023. Like I said Doesn't matter what Piastri wants, it comes down to what he signed in his contract with Alpine. Maybe McLaren's Lawyers have found an out for him. I don't know but I haven't see 1 Red bull driver get out of a contract unless RedBull allowed them too. So I'm not sure why Alpine wouldn't have cut and pasted one of those.

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
If Alpine management don't want to waste money on Alonso, why didn't they confirm Piastri to drive for Alpine in 2023 back in May? :wtf:

The notion that Alpine planned to offer a direct debut in the main team all along, the same as McLaren are offering or indeed have signed with Piastri, does not add up given it was not announced in a timely manner.

Notwithstanding that Piastri's supposed deal with McLaren was likely finalised at 00:01 GMT on 1/7/22 when Piastri was a free agent to his management's knowledge, some 2 hours before Aston Martin's Alonso announcement and some 34 hours before Alpine's Piastri announcement -- the announcement that strangely did not include any comment from Piastri!

Neuron
Neuron

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:10

I'll reply your question with another question... Why do you describe Alonso move to another team as toxic?

Did you say the same with Lewis move from McLaren to Mercedes? Or when Vettel moved from RBR?

Drivers are drivers, nothing wrong with moving to different teams if they want, same as any other employee moving to a different company, contracts are agreements from both parts, once one of the parts is not happy with the agreement the contract is finished, as always, nothing wrong with that
But you can do it in two ways - as gentleman or as Alonso.
You can do it politely, with good mood etc.

Or just be as Alonso and let your team to know that you are leaving from Twitter...

Do you understand the difference?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:11
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

No.

There is a dead line but Everything I ever heard was for 2023. Like I said Doesn't matter what Piastri wants, it comes down to what he signed in his contract with Alpine. Maybe McLaren's Lawyers have found an out for him. I don't know but I haven't see 1 Red bull driver get out of a contract unless RedBull allowed them too. So I'm not sure why Alpine wouldn't have cut and pasted one of those.
Complete speculation on my behalf… But as said before, Alpine thought they hold all the cards… That Alonso had to race for them with whatever salary and length of contract they offered… That Piastri wasn’t going anywhere, even if they didn’t find him a seat for 2024 or that simply offering him to another Team was enough to fulfill the clause (which would probably not hold in court) or thinking that there was no place for him in the likes of McLaren (who still has to say anything and could easily not be involved in the whole saga)… For Alpine there was nothing to be concerned about… Until Vettel announced his retirement

After that… Everything started tumbling down and the dam was leaking and they are finding out that they may not have been in as much control as they thought they were.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Neuron wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:27
Andres125sx wrote:

I'll reply your question with another question... Why do you describe Alonso move to another team as toxic?

Did you say the same with Lewis move from McLaren to Mercedes? Or when Vettel moved from RBR?

Drivers are drivers, nothing wrong with moving to different teams if they want, same as any other employee moving to a different company, contracts are agreements from both parts, once one of the parts is not happy with the agreement the contract is finished, as always, nothing wrong with that
You can do it politely, with good mood etc.

Or just be as Alonso and let your team to know that you are leaving from Twitter...

Do you understand the difference?
Did Alpine deserved that treatment? Or they did treat Alonso in a way that warranted the way they found out… The fact that Alonso wouldn’t take a call from Otmar (and that Otmar made a fool of himself saying that it was because Alonso was in a boat in Greece, while in reality was strolling down the Oviedo streets) is very telling of a bad relationship between them.

Andres125sx

Neuron wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:27
Andres125sx wrote:

And you still wonder why you are a hater? :lol:

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I'm surprised no one has brought up the connection between Alonso and Webber yet. I doubt it played a major role in the shenanigans, but who knows.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

No.

But Piastri didn't say he hasn't signed anything new, he said that, and continue saying he will not drive for Alpine in 2023. There's a huge difference

Alpine said the opposite, without Piastri agreement.

What would you say if any company says publicly you'll work for them without your agreement?

Jolle
Jolle

Fulcrum wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:45
I'm surprised no one has brought up the connection between Alonso and Webber yet. I doubt it played a major role in the shenanigans, but who knows.
Yo, I did somewhere... and of course it's Briatore, who is/was their manager, old team boss/owner of that team, friends with Prost and Stroll. Then don't forget that Otmar left AM with BTW money and Prost was put aside very disrespectfully.
There are more than enough drama and vendetta to fill a season of DTS with.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Jolle wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 17:00
Fulcrum wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:45
Yo, I did somewhere... and of course it's Briatore, who is/was their manager, old team boss/owner of that team, friends with Prost and Stroll. Then don't forget that Otmar left AM with BTW money and Prost was put aside very disrespectfully.
There are more than enough drama and vendetta to fill a season of DTS with.
Whoops, I must have missed that. Seems like a pretty sordid situation for all involved.

max_speed
max_speed

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:18
max_speed wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:34
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:20

You reply yourself on the very same post

Few drivers have been in F1 for so long :wink:

Maybe you should ask yourself why all those teams signed him... Renault (twice), McLaren (twice despite some of you assumed that was impossible), Ferrari... Not small teams exactly... Why do you think those big teams signed him?
Because they hate him and want to give him shitty cars and make sure he never wins another championship and ridicule him in front of f1 fans for 20 years so that f1 can be entertaining.yes he has made f1 entertaining look at current saga with Alpine. 😊😊😊😊
Is this sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell… 😂
I hope it was taken as sarcasm by everyone including "ringo".

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:58
diffuser wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

No.

But Piastri didn't say he hasn't signed anything new, he said that, and continue saying he will not drive for Alpine in 2023. There's a huge difference

Alpine said the opposite, without Piastri agreement.

What would you say if any company says publicly you'll work for them without your agreement?
To me, its the bold(above) part that throws a spanner.

Its not right, I have not signed == I do not have everything I want in my contract and am still squeezing

I will not be driving for Alpine== There is no ongoing talks and will not be as I am committed somewhere else.

Surely with the 'grapevine' in F1 Alpine would know if he was on the verge of singing elsewhere, even if it was just his manager trying for a few more quid.

This is a definite separation from the team, not fishing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:11
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

No.

I think I'll try lay out a plausible scenario here. Piastri, as is widely being speculated, had a clause in his contract for Alpine to find him an F1 seat before 31st July. Alpine clearly thought they would have Alonso for one more year. They wanted to see how Piastri does with one year in Williams who have been rumored to be in talks for an engine deal as well. So a convinient option with flexibility in financial structuring there. Webber and Seidl have ties from Toyota days and Piastri camp probably preferred to go to Mclaren who also have Ricciardo under contract for 2023.

Piastri's tweet would suggest that he and McLaren are in firm agreement that he wants to go there and they will sort out the Ric situation on their end whichever way they decide. Buyout or something. Alpine probably confident of re-signing Alonso and unaware of the status of the deal with Mclaren, let Piastri's contract deadline lapse.

Now, the legal conundrum will probably be when Alpine claims that Piastri's exit clause isnt triggered because they offered him a Williams seat before the deadline, whereas his camp will contend that it was merely an exploratory discussion and nothing more.

I think the salary part is just smoke screen. They tried to strong arm Alonso on length of contract and fell asleep at the wheel with Piastri. Now they will try to make it a legally drawn out battle to keep Piastri and lots of accusatory statements to save face.