2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mantikos

Re: Mercedes W13

Mchamilton wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 21:48
dialtone wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 22:51
Mchamilton wrote: Merc were never in a low DF config this weekend, they had their OG barn door rear wing on and a bigger top flap on the front wing.
Everyone had a barn door wing. RUS was churning through tires.
There's no direct correlation between between downforce level and tyre wear is there so I don't see what your point is?
There absolutely is

PhillipM

Mchamilton wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 21:48

There's no direct correlation between between downforce level and tyre wear is there so I don't see what your point is?
There absolutely is.

PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Winning races in the near future.. Niiiiiceee
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

Yes low df will lead to relatively more graining.
But GR was not churning through tyres. He was wearing and not graining because of how much he had to push. I believe ferrari had more tyre wear and graining issues ironically.
Neither was Hamilton having much issue.
Not even the debrief mentioned a low df setup. What was said was that Lewis was hoping for rain which gives an idea of the direction they went.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 07:39
What was said was that Lewis was hoping for rain which gives an idea of the direction they went.
There's no way he went "wet set up" in any way. You don't set fastest lap in a dry race (even if there is some light drizzle at the end) on a wet set up.

What rain would do is effectively reduce any power deficit that Mercedes might be suffering. Also Hamilton has great self belief about his skill in the wet.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

The_Engineer

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 09:48
ringo wrote:
What was said was that Lewis was hoping for rain which gives an idea of the direction they went.
There's no way he went "wet set up" in any way. You don't set fastest lap in a dry race (even if there is some light drizzle at the end) on a wet set up.

What rain would do is effectively reduce any power deficit that Mercedes might be suffering. Also Hamilton has great self belief about his skill in the wet.

Lewis wanted rain at the end because he was on a relatively fresh set of softs vs Max on a set of worn Mediums. The soft tyre would give a lot more grip in damp conditions in the final laps of the race.

Just_a_fan

The_Engineer wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 09:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
ringo wrote:

Lewis wanted rain at the end because he was on a relatively fresh set of softs vs Max on a set of worn Mediums. The soft tyre would give a lot more grip in damp conditions in the final laps of the race.
Yes, indeed so. But I think he was hoping it would be wet for the entire race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sidiamal

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:20
The_Engineer wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

On the basis of?

EDIT: Every indication from the team is that they hoped for rain because it would allow them a free pit stop to stay ahead of Verstappen & co around lap 50 or so, or later so that the softs' advantage would be heightened, not because they had a wet setup.

ringo

I didnt say he was on a wet setup.
I implied that the car was setup for the tyres to last. Usually teams do this so they can wait out for rain without taking a pitstop.
I dont think they went low downforce and high deg.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:20
The_Engineer wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

The Mercedes was disastrous on the wet tires in FP3.

VacuousFlamboyant

Shovlin revealed he has big hopes for the return of the season. A new set of upgrades is due, as they are "trying to bring back some performance to Spa".

One aspect that I think is overlooked when discussing the car philosophy is rear tyre temperature. Everybody keeps talking about drag, but seeing how everything has unfold till Hungary, I'm almost certain one of the key areas hindering W13's true potential is tyre temperature. Tyre managment on its own is a big shunk of lap time. Despite the low temperatures, Hungary is a track that stresses the tyres the most. That combination might have helped Lewis keep a more aggressive line in the last stint.

Interviewed by Kovalainen, Hamilton has let slip that Mercedes turned engine modes :?: down to prevent porpoising on top of everything else: "We've had to depower it to stop it from bouncing, but we had really good reliability" [...] "And every week I'm hoping that they find something that bring us that little bit of downforce without bouncing".

With more power and downforce recovered, the car would be in a much better place regarding tyre temperature.

OO7
OO7

He wasn't talking about the PU being depowered, but the floor.

PhillipM

Yep, made the floor less peaky but more consistent.

Wouter

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/0 ... ever-quits
Lewis Hamilton: The F1 Superstar on Racism, His Future, and the Shocker That Cost Him a Championship
The maverick driver can handle anything. But spiders. And traffic.

By Chris Heath
August 8, 2022

When Lewis Hamilton became a Formula 1 driver, success came quickly, but an easy sense of belonging did not.

“I didn’t feel like I was welcome,” he tells me. “I didn’t feel like I was accepted. God knows how many of these drivers say: ‘This is not what a Formula 1 driver is. That’s not how you behave. This is not how you do it. Tattoos? No! A Formula 1 driver doesn’t have tattoos! A Formula 1 driver doesn’t have a personality—and piercings!’ ”
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 17:27

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/0 ... ever-quits
Lewis Hamilton: The F1 Superstar on Racism, His Future, and the Shocker That Cost Him a Championship
Amazing trolling from Lewis
I ask him whether this feels as though it is particularly directed toward him.

“I mean, yeah,” he replies. “Because I’m the only one that has jewelry on, really.”

Aware that the issue was coming to a head, Hamilton attended a press conference before the Miami Grand Prix in May wearing—in an act of playful mockery and protest—rings on every finger, multiple chains, and three watches. “I just put on as much as I could,” he says. He announced that, if need be, he would refuse to race rather than remove his race-day jewelry, and also upped the ante—and sent the internet bubbling—with this comment: “As I said, I can’t remove at least two of them. One, I can’t really explain where it is.”

This, Hamilton now insists, was flippant provocation. “I was just --- with it,” he says, laughing. “I don’t have any other piercings anywhere. But I love that there’s this thinking: ---, has he got his balls pierced?”