2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 12:13
mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:06
And maybe it really isn't Mclaren involved in this...
So is there any truth to the below rumours? :?: :wtf:

"Multiple sources have told ESPN that Piastri has signed an agreement with McLaren."
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3434 ... ar-piastri
Yes I think so as I explained in the text that came after the quote you posted, what I'm meaning to say is that at this point it is still rumour.

From my point of view I'd bite Piastri's hand off and put Dan into the recycle bin, but I don't want to get my hopes up until it is confirmed, but it certainly looks like there is something in the pipeline for Mclaren.

Heavy rumour doesn't make fact. Think Audi Mclaren.....
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 13:43

Yes I think so as I explained in the text that came after the quote you posted, what I'm meaning to say is that at this point it is still rumour.

From my point of view I'd bite Piastri's hand off and put Dan into the recycle bin, but I don't want to get my hopes up until it is confirmed, but it certainly looks like there is something in the pipeline for Mclaren.

I think this is much more concrete than Audi McLaren though.

Pretty much everything lines up as you'd expect.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

But while there are two leading possible outcomes — he moves into Daniel Ricciardo’s seat at McLaren or is forced to remain at Alpine — a third team has emerged as a smoky contender for his services.

According to the UK’s Times, Piastri’s manager, Mark Webber, has also sounded out the Red Bull hierarchy to try to place the Aussie junior at AlphaTauri.

Webber is well connected with Red Bull. Not only did the Queanbeyan native drive for the team during its championship-winning years of 2010–13, but he’s still a Red Bull athlete with a good relationship with energy drink mogul Dietrich Mateschitz.

He’s also a Porsche ambassador, and Porsche is intending to buy into Red Bull Racing and form a join power unit manufacturing business with the brand for 2026.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxspo ... e9ef642c67
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

JPower wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 15:51
mwillems wrote:

I think this is much more concrete than Audi McLaren though.

Pretty much everything lines up as you'd expect.
Like I said, I do believe we are in the mix. But I will also wait until I hear facts before I get excited, which is quite rational and normal, not sure why it warranted a deliberately shortened quote, WTF? emoji and a bold highlighted and sarcastic response from JordanMugen for not assuming facts where there are few yet.

For sure Alpine fans though it was almost certain Alonso would be with them next year, as did the Alpine Hierarchy, look how something so close to concrete can fall flat very quickly.

Now it turns out that RB are possibly involved too, is that clickbait from the Times (Thanks GroundEffect)? Who knows for sure, certainly not anyone replying here, even as much as they'd like to have CFD Eyes and Fact Eyes.

-Bandit

F1since1980
F1since1980

mwillems wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:06
And maybe it really isn't Mclaren involved in this...

"Multiple sources have told ESPN that Piastri has signed an agreement with McLaren."

If Alpine have the contractual right on this one (which I am willing to bet they do). Webber and Oscar and Company will get sued in court for breach of contract and acting in bad faith and they will seek some serious monetary compensation. F1 is still a business and not a charity! They have a face-saving obligation to do so for their employees. Alpine invested a lot of funds in this kid over the years and it is not going to let Mclaren get a free ride and laugh all the way to the bank on Alpine's expense. We are not talking about a driver jumping to another team after he just signed with one as we have seen in the past. Even if they don't prevail, I would believe Webber and Oscar will be spending quite a lot of that signing bonus on legal fees and this could drag on for years - making the lawyers all that much richer.
If Alpine does not have any contractual rights on Oscar at this point, then the CEO - Rossi needs to step down - he is over his head and lacks any commonsense business acumen (despite his Harvard MBA) to run an F1 team and Renault should sell to Audi. This to me is a textbook example on how to cut the head off your competition, not only from a monetary/results point of view, but from a motivational point of view as well, JUST when things are starting to turn around for them and the team is fighting for 4th. I expect them now to finish 5th this year and maybe lower if Alonso decides to work on his tan on a lounge chair by the track with 9 races to go (I would not be surprised). In the end, if Alpine are the loser, the employees at Alpine will have lost all credibility in management - who will want to work for them???
A master stroke orchestrated by Webber, Oscar, Zac, Stroll and Alonso - when you struggle to beat them on the track find another way.... F1 is cut throat, but Alpine really don't deserve it IMO. Enstone and Renault have a lot of history in the sport. What a tough year for French-Australian relationships (from a submarines to F1)

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

F1since1980 wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 20:02
mwillems wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

If Alpine have the contractual right on this one (which I am willing to bet they do). Webber and Oscar and Company will get sued in court for breach of contract and acting in bad faith and they will seek some serious monetary compensation.
This will no doubt go before the FIA's Contract Recognition board to sort out. They aim to sort out disputes quickly, rather than dragging things out. As for Contractual rights ? We simply don't know what's in the contract and what get out clauses Piastri might have. McLaren have nothing to lose here tbh. Either Alpine gets egg on it's face or Mark Webber does. Hopefully this is sorted out before the summer break is over.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

From Oscar's reponsse on twitter, I don't think Alpine are in a good place legally. If their option, as reported expired on the 31st of July, then there's really no issue for them to force. I see their tweet announcing Piastri as them being unsure if he had signed anything elsewhere after being unable to reach Mark Webber. Piastri wasn't even informed about this. They could also have done this to position themselves for some sort of compensation, if Piastri indeed has something signed already. Why even talk about Daniel, in reference to there being no issue bringing him back?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 01:59
From Oscar's reponsse on twitter, I don't think Alpine are in a good place legally. If their option, as reported expired on the 31st of July, then there's really no issue for them to force. I see their tweet announcing Piastri as them being unsure if he had signed anything elsewhere after being unable to reach Mark Webber. Piastri wasn't even informed about this. They could also have done this to position themselves for some sort of compensation, if Piastri indeed has something signed already. Why even talk about Daniel, in reference to there being no issue bringing him back?
You are spot on… If they had to give Piastri a Formula 1 seat for 2023 (in Alpine or elsewhere) by July 31st, their announcement had the intention of meeting the portion of the contract that required them to do so (they found him a seat)… But, unluckily for them it wasn’t in within the agreed timeline.

Piastri’s response is simply to ensure (for future legal proceedings) that he wasn’t accepting that seat.

runningmanz
runningmanz

:lol:

djos

Nice! 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 03:36
Nice! 🤣
Yeah gotta laugh. Didn't know Binotto was in with a shot too :lol:

djos

Indeed! I wonder when we’ll hear from Daniel on social media?
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah alot to go down it seems. This article from Fox Sports is interesting. It could all spectacularly backfire for Webber and McLaren if the FIA rule in Alpines favour. They must be sure of this deal. Where would that then leave Daniel if Oscar is forced to drive at Alpine and Dan knows he wasn't wanted at McLaren anymore. Maybe he will just jump on a deal back with Alpine instead before it gets to the courts. Crazy times. Can see this dragging out for a long while if it gets ugly.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... 6fca5c4f49
Last edited by runningmanz on 05 Aug 2022, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 02:26
Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 01:59
You are spot on… If they had to give Piastri a Formula 1 seat for 2023 (in Alpine or elsewhere) by July 31st, their announcement had the intention of meeting the portion of the contract that required them to do so (they found him a seat)… But, unluckily for them it wasn’t in within the agreed timeline.

Piastri’s response is simply to ensure (for future legal proceedings) that he wasn’t accepting that seat.
In the interviews that Otmar had given there was a little nugget of information which I think highlights the centre of the dispute.

He says that there was no requirement for the driver to accept the seat he was offered at williams, all the team had to do was offer the seat. I'm not sure if that was also saying that Piastri had to take the drive Alpine offered him or just that it was enough to satisfy that clause in the contract.

So I think it comes down in part to this specific question, Did Piastri need to accept the seat to activate the clause?
Last edited by mwillems on 05 Aug 2022, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

all we know is that a deal with Williams was on the cards - that's not the same as knowing a drive was offered.