2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

mzso wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 14:39
JPower wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 21:58
deadhead wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 21:19

Maybe he is trying to manage it internally without blowing too much smoke with the media? Or at least I hope that is the case otherwise you do have a very good point.
Destabilizing your team in the middle of the season is idiotic.

Nothing of note personnel wise will be changed until the offseason when the proper steps and evaluation can be taken.
For them it wouldn't make a difference. Instability is their default state.
JPower wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 22:53
Sure they do, especially if you're trying to replace someone like Rueda that has been there for as long as he has. Can't really think of a time where a director-level position was fired during the season by a top team.

It would take time to find a suitable replacement as well.
Firing the strategy department, and replacing them with a coin to flip, or a magic 8 ball would already bring an improvement. At least a coin is right half of the time.
So an interim solution is easy. Until they can find someone better than pure randomness.
Yawn. No fact, only hyperbole.

JPower

Schippke wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 14:33
JPower wrote:
Can't really think of a time where a director-level position was fired during the season by a top team.
2014 comes to mind (Domenicali -> Mattiacci -> Arrivabene)... fired mightn't be the right word though.

'Removed' maybe...
Yeah, good point. But that's exactly what they're trying to avoid.

Binotto has been nothing but straightforward in his preseason assessments. As disappointing as it is, everything we've seen thus far this year matches up with his goals for the season.

Looking back, I think he knows where the team weaknesses are especially vs Mercedes/RB. When and how to solve them is the hard part. His timeline is not the drivers' nor the fans timeline.

Big Tea

JPower wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 15:44
Schippke wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 14:33
JPower wrote:
Can't really think of a time where a director-level position was fired during the season by a top team.
2014 comes to mind (Domenicali -> Mattiacci -> Arrivabene)... fired mightn't be the right word though.

'Removed' maybe...
Yeah, good point. But that's exactly what they're trying to avoid.

Binotto has been nothing but straightforward in his preseason assessments. As disappointing as it is, everything we've seen thus far this year matches up with his goals for the season.

Looking back, I think he knows where the team weaknesses are especially vs Mercedes/RB. When and how to solve them is the hard part. His timeline is not the drivers' nor the fans timeline.
I also believe Binotto is doing a reasonable job, except for the cockups. Which I think rather than bring someone in instead of or above him, it should be two people below him (or more likely reallocated)

He should be left to do what he is doing but have a deputy for each of (pit) engineering and, not being able to pin down the correct title call him/her a Gaffer, who is over all other areas from strategy to driver management and over media too.

He would still do more or less what he does now, but by passing the tasks to his deputy where possible to ensure it is carried out and is responsible if it is not done correctly.

For example, improper or out dated data passed to the strat team, and making sure any correspondence from F1 FIA or track gets to the right place and gets acted on or he would know whos responsibility it was. They can then move to solutions from scapegoats
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JPower

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 18:20

I also believe Binotto is doing a reasonable job, except for the cockups. Which I think rather than bring someone in instead of or above him, it should be two people below him (or more likely reallocated)

He should be left to do what he is doing but have a deputy for each of (pit) engineering and, not being able to pin down the correct title call him/her a Gaffer, who is over all other areas from strategy to driver management and over media too.

He would still do more or less what he does now, but by passing the tasks to his deputy where possible to ensure it is carried out and is responsible if it is not done correctly.

For example, improper or out dated data passed to the strat team, and making sure any correspondence from F1 FIA or track gets to the right place and gets acted on or he would know whos responsibility it was. They can then move to solutions from scapegoats
He has all of that. That's Laurent Mekies job in a nutshell.

Big Tea

JPower wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 18:41
Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 18:20

He has all of that. That's Laurent Mekies job in a nutshell.
Well we have the problem then :mrgreen:

Is he responsible for both sides or just one? If it is just one aspect he has twice as much time to do it and only needs to fret over half as much

JPower

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 18:50

Is he responsible for both sides or just one? If it is just one aspect he has twice as much time to do it and only needs to fret over half as much
I don't know what you mean by both sides but he's the assistant TP and race director.

But...I don't think he's a weak link. He's pretty highly regarded in the paddock as far as I know.

I think the car, the drivers, overall team management(low personnel turnover), and morale are great. They just have one weak link to tackle and I think it will be solved in the offseason.

pipoloko

I will defer to the moderator if this video shall stay here or in Hungary's race
my reason is just to share what the guy has to say about Ferrari options and more important how analysis could and should be performed to avoid emotion-killing data
hope it helps

Big Tea

JPower wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 19:03
Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 18:50

I don't know what you mean by both sides but he's the assistant TP and race director.

But...I don't think he's a weak link. He's pretty highly regarded in the paddock as far as I know.

I think the car, the drivers, overall team management(low personnel turnover), and morale are great. They just have one weak link to tackle and I think it will be solved in the offseason.
What I mean is people who handle engineering are often not so good at handling people because things get phrased differently.
If one of the computer tecs asked something of him, or of he asked of them, would there be free speech in a language both were familiar with. I don't mean displays and graphs, but deeper like' where did you get the seed for Rnd.
There is no need at all for him to know that but the person wanting to actually put the data points into a from an engineer can read read would. One 'stream' among several in the garage (and back at base who would need contact often)

No matter how good a leader is, he/she can only know so much, and do so much in a short time, so the would be an important pivot of changing from theoretical to real world.
Not saying So-and-So is not capable of it, but it would take several seconds more than the intermediary.
Multiply this by how ever many disciplines and langue there are in the pit, can u see what I mean?

JPower

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 19:25

What I mean is people who handle engineering are often not so good at handling people because things get phrased differently.
If one of the computer tecs asked something of him, or of he asked of them, would there be free speech in a language both were familiar with. I don't mean displays and graphs, but deeper like' where did you get the seed for Rnd.
There is no need at all for him to know that but the person wanting to actually put the data points into a from an engineer can read read would. One 'stream' among several in the garage (and back at base who would need contact often)

No matter how good a leader is, he/she can only know so much, and do so much in a short time, so the would be an important pivot of changing from theoretical to real world.
Not saying So-and-So is not capable of it, but it would take several seconds more than the intermediary.
Multiply this by how ever many disciplines and langue there are in the pit, can u see what I mean?
No, not really.

Most everyone on the team whether pitwall, strategy, setup, etc. comes from an engineering background and speaks English over communication channels. F1 is fairly homogenous in that way. So I don't think disciplines and language are a problem.

Ferrari's issues lie elsewhere in my opinion.

pipoloko

in the Spanish and Italian versions of motorsport.com
Binotto said that some problems of the Ferrari car (en particular eng reliability) will be solved only in 2023
F1 | Binotto: "Alcuni problemi saranno risolti nel 2023"
Mattia Binotto, team principal della Ferrari, ha ammesso che alcuni problemi d'affidabilità verificatisi quest'anno saranno risolti per l'anno prossimo: serve tempo per fare determinate modifiche, ma nel 2022 si potranno gestire nei weekend di gara
those Italian speakers can translate more acurate than me the juicy part of the reportage

he is throwing the towell!!!! :(
I could not find the same version in english

JPower

pipoloko wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 03:20
in the Spanish and Italian versions of motorsport.com
Binotto said that some problems of the Ferrari car (en particular eng reliability) will be solved only in 2023
F1 | Binotto: "Alcuni problemi saranno risolti nel 2023"
Mattia Binotto, team principal della Ferrari, ha ammesso che alcuni problemi d'affidabilità verificatisi quest'anno saranno risolti per l'anno prossimo: serve tempo per fare determinate modifiche, ma nel 2022 si potranno gestire nei weekend di gara
those Italian speakers can translate more acurate than me the juicy part of the reportage

he is throwing the towell!!!! :(
I could not find the same version in english
Yes, we know the clutch and some elements of the PU will need revising in 2023. That has nothing to do with throwing in the towel. Stop overreacting. :roll:

pipoloko

today news
F1, Ferrari Power Unit: Charles Leclerc to take grid penalties at Spa-Francorchamps and Austin
Charles to take grid penalties at Spa and Austin
We are working on reliability and at the same time managing it, because it will be resolved definitively for next season. Some changes cannot be implemented in a few weeks. However, this does not mean that it will not be managed this season”. This is how team principal Mattia Binotto spoke about the reliability of the Ferrari power units during the final press conference held at the end of the Hungarian Grand Prix, last weekend in Budapest.

overreacting or being realistic?
I would say
championship is gone
lets see if P2 is still and option MB is only 30 points behind

it looks to me that for some people is more fun to discuss Binotto's skills and leadership than believe in a guy that candidly is telling to the f1 community the truth of where Ferrari 2022 stands
then as always "the time will speak"
some times people need to learn to "swallow bitter news" and start to think in the enxt plan
My Reading
Binotto es telling us to forget 2022

pipoloko

Every day since the Hungary race is passed new info is available

The question that was not clear is why LEC changed tires on lap 39

Well today is clear his 2nd set on MEDs degradation was .1 /per lap while SAI on the same MEDs was deg .035 or 1/3 of LECs

In lap 38 the pecking order was

LEC 0
RUS +5.3
SAI +6.7
VER +7
HAM +12

All of them are on MEDs and at least need 1 tires change
At that lap, the main rival was RUS or both MB

LEC was having more deg than SAI and his tires will not last until lap 55 or so and they need to be changed and they need to cover MB

What were the options for him?

I set of Hards
or
2 set of used softs not clear if both sets were ok
At that time was clear LEC can not win the race and SAI may get P4 (he is on the same strategy that RUS )
And even if they saw VER as a threat clearly MB was the main contender

Gamble is the only strategy available or P4/P5 for both
Why I say gamble because P4 was SAI's , gambling on Hards eventually they could get P2/P3 for him
Clearly, P1 was out of range

Some of you may say I am wrong
ok please respond with data on why this analysis is wrong

w/o data is bla bla

pipoloko

pipoloko wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 19:04
I will defer to the moderator if this video shall stay here or in Hungary's race
my reason is just to share what the guy has to say about Ferrari options and more important how analysis could and should be performed to avoid emotion-killing data
hope it helps
look at min 4 the lap times and you will see where LEC's problems started (lap 31) and you will see that SAI on older meds gets a more consistent result
hope this ends the discussion about the team performance of course can and shall be improved but the car and relaibility is still a problem we lost 2engines and Haas? and AR?
finger crossed MB doesn't gets P2 in championship