2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:23
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:13
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:00

Exactly! That’s what’s driving Alpine’s statements… It would be very interesting if Piastri had a contract that stated that he had to accept any contract on any team that was put in front of him.

And the news this morning (it is 6:57am for me) is that McLaren has already communicated to Daniel their intention to run Piastri, which tells that both Piastri and McLaren are comfortable with the driver’s position with Alpine.

And now catching up on all the posts and news since I went to bed, lol…
I can tell you are yet to catch up ;) lol

To be fair I did make the point about the Williams seat near the start of the Piasco, but it got swallowed in the subsequent general forum flapping.

As it turns out, Alpine thought it hinged on this, but in fact there was not a valid contract, it wasn't signed properly or something!
It cannot get more embarrassing for Alpine. I've never seen such incompetence in my life.
If this is what Alpine think is watertight I'm glad they don't sell umbrellas, they'd be made of fresh air and cheese.

Now we just need to win the Palou case!
I didn’t even noticed the amount of pages that I had to read when I came to the forum, lol.

I hope Daniel finds a seat in Alpine or another Team… He seems like a very nice guy, it just didn’t work out in McLaren
I hope so too and I also would like enough driver swaps to start understanding what traits are common to the formula and unique to the cars.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PlatinumZealot

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:56
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:52
. Lando is just too hard to beat.
C'mon, that's just silly talk - he proved it was the McLaren cars that were the problem last year by winning in Monza on merit. I agree, he should go back to Alpine, but only because they seem to know how to build cars that provide consistent feedback to the driver.
Don't want to burst your bubble. And I am a fan of Daniel's racecraft as much as anypne.... But in Monza the team had to order Lando not to attack. It is a mystery if Daniel was nursing the car or if Lando would have stolen the win if left to pounce. To me Lando had thr upper hand in that last stint.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:13

I can tell you are yet to catch up ;) lol

To be fair I did make the point about the Williams seat near the start of the Piasco, but it got swallowed in the subsequent general forum flapping.

As it turns out, Alpine thought it hinged on this, but in fact there was not a valid contract, it wasn't signed properly or something!
It cannot get more embarrassing for Alpine. I've never seen such incompetence in my life.
If this is what Alpine think is watertight I'm glad they don't sell umbrellas, they'd be made of fresh air and cheese.

Now we just need to win the Palou case!
I didn’t even noticed the amount of pages that I had to read when I came to the forum, lol.

I hope Daniel finds a seat in Alpine or another Team… He seems like a very nice guy, it just didn’t work out in McLaren
I hope so too and I also would like enough driver swaps to start understanding what traits are common to the formula and unique to the cars.
It will take a few seasons for that to happen, Alonso may be the first to talk about next year.

But in reality, these cars will probably go through several changes in handling while the Team’s develop them

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

billamend wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:01
Can't believe that after 2 years and two _very different_ cars, people are still coming up with excuses for Ricciardo. Insanity. And now McLaren are the bad guys because they want two drivers that can perform and bring points home.
It's mostly one person, and they come from Australia, so you can ignore them.

geogate
geogate

Fulcrum wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:56

yeah, but I've heard a rumor that Mclaren will have an Australian driver next year - keep it to yourself though

mwillems

geogate wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 17:06
Fulcrum wrote:

yeah, but I've heard a rumor that Mclaren will have an Australian driver next year - keep it to yourself though
Wait, what??!!

:D

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:51
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:34
SmallSoldier wrote:

It will take a few seasons for that to happen, Alonso may be the first to talk about next year.

But in reality, these cars will probably go through several changes in handling while the Team’s develop them
This is true in terms of the formula so perhaps less can be gleaned there, but I think that if DR goes to Alpine then we may start to get tentative comparisons between Mclaren and Alpine, and Alpine and AM via Alonso.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

geogate wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 17:06
Fulcrum wrote:

I'm referring to the forum poster constantly defending Ricciardo...

CjC
CjC

damo46 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:11
What a shock it would be if Hamilton retires and Lando takes his place
I think Lewis is motivated for an 8th title but if it doesnt look like he can win the title in 12 months time then this could be the case.
Mclaren aren’t too interested in finding a Ricciardo replacement, they need a back up for Lando if he jumps ship
Just a fan's point of view

runningmanz
runningmanz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:43
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:56
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:52
. Lando is just too hard to beat.
C'mon, that's just silly talk - he proved it was the McLaren cars that were the problem last year by winning in Monza on merit. I agree, he should go back to Alpine, but only because they seem to know how to build cars that provide consistent feedback to the driver.
Don't want to burst your bubble. And I am a fan of Daniel's racecraft as much as anypne.... But in Monza the team had to order Lando not to attack. It is a mystery if Daniel was nursing the car or if Lando would have stolen the win if left to pounce. To me Lando had thr upper hand in that last stint.
Dan has underperformed alot but sorry Monza was not one of them. It's annoying how some people try to that away from him. He had the upper hand on Lando in the race. Dan and Max pulled out a gap of around 10 secs on Lando by lap 23. Lando only caught back up after the safety car came out due to the crash between Lewis and Max. After this when Dan was asked to speed up he pulled a gap again on Lando and also set fastest lap of the race on the last lap proving he had pace in hand over Lando.

billamend
billamend

runningmanz wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 17:33
He had the upper hand on Lando in the race.
No he did not, what race did you see? Lando was better qualified, he just got stuck in the start of the sprint race behind Hamilton.

McL-H
McL-H

billamend wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 17:47
runningmanz wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 17:33
He had the upper hand on Lando in the race.
No he did not, what race did you see? Lando was better qualified, he just got stuck in the start of the sprint race behind Hamilton.
So you’ve seen qualifying…

mwillems

I remember Dan getting the jump on Verstappen at Monza and also holding him off whilst Ver was briefly faster. I then remember Dan managing the race very well.

He definitely had a great race, but it was a 1-2 and Lando was right behind him so I don't think necessarily that it was just Dans amazing driving. The car obviously worked there, but his talent and experience got the win over the line and took the opportunities that were needed to do that, he deserves the credit but he didn't dominate Lando that weekend and he didn't outperform the car.

I'm not even sure why doing well at Monza counts for much to be honest. It's one race and I'd rather him be consistently 5th than being largely nowhere.

runningmanz
runningmanz

I'm sorry but what part of pulling a 10 second gap on Lando in the first part and the safety car allowing him to catch up that gap are we missing here. Honestly it's a joke that some ppl are still trying to say Lando was better that race. It's clear in the live timing and replay and the way at the end Dan again pulled a gap and set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap. Yes Dan has been disappointing at McLaren but at least admit that race he did a better job and stop being ignorant of the facts.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Even if Daniel leaves, something tells me the Daniel vs Lando arguments will continue.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.