2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

there isnt a "normal" - they all have their own eccentricities, as born out by just about every driver having to have a period of adaption when moving between teams

mwillems

And to add, no driver has driven more than one car in these regs, so there isn't a "Normal" / Baseline available.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

JPower
JPower

Do people think the Ferrari is “normal”?

Go watch an onboard in the F1-75. We’ve seen both drivers lose the car in innocuous situations.

Its a difficult car to drive. All of the 2022 cars are. Big, heavy, unforgiving suspension, weak front end is across the board.
Last edited by JPower on 05 Aug 2022, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10349014/

Apparently the contract with the clauses in wasn't properly signed and so what was in it was irrelevant!

It also notes that Piastri is reserve driver next year but will upgrade IF an agreement is reached to move Daniel on.

I'm sure he will want to go, but it is important to note that he has choices.

mwillems

JPower wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:36
Do people think the Ferrari is “normal”?

Go watch an onboard in the F1-75. We’ve seen both drivers lose the car in innocuous situations.

Its a difficult car to drive. All of the 2022 cars are. Big, heavy, unforgiving suspension, weak front end is across the board.
And susceptible to loss of downforce mid corner too. In fact I recall many suggesting that the underfloor would not be tempremental in corners.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 07:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 02:26
Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 01:59
From Oscar's reponsse on twitter, I don't think Alpine are in a good place legally. If their option, as reported expired on the 31st of July, then there's really no issue for them to force. I see their tweet announcing Piastri as them being unsure if he had signed anything elsewhere after being unable to reach Mark Webber. Piastri wasn't even informed about this. They could also have done this to position themselves for some sort of compensation, if Piastri indeed has something signed already. Why even talk about Daniel, in reference to there being no issue bringing him back?
You are spot on… If they had to give Piastri a Formula 1 seat for 2023 (in Alpine or elsewhere) by July 31st, their announcement had the intention of meeting the portion of the contract that required them to do so (they found him a seat)… But, unluckily for them it wasn’t in within the agreed timeline.

Piastri’s response is simply to ensure (for future legal proceedings) that he wasn’t accepting that seat.
In the interviews that Otmar had given there was a little nugget of information which I think highlights the centre of the dispute.

He says that there was no requirement for the driver to accept the seat he was offered at williams, all the team had to do was offer the seat. I'm not sure if that was also saying that Piastri had to take the drive Alpine offered him or just that it was enough to satisfy that clause in the contract.

So I think it comes down in part to this specific question, Did Piastri need to accept the seat to activate the clause?
Exactly! That’s what’s driving Alpine’s statements… It would be very interesting if Piastri had a contract that stated that he had to accept any contract on any team that was put in front of him.

And the news this morning (it is 6:57am for me) is that McLaren has already communicated to Daniel their intention to run Piastri, which tells that both Piastri and McLaren are comfortable with the driver’s position with Alpine.

And now catching up on all the posts and news since I went to bed, lol…
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 05 Aug 2022, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

McL-H
McL-H

Macklaren wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 14:01
Daniel should move into McLaren's 3rd Indycar entry. He can compete for wins every weekend and the championship, he gets to drive an "old skool" car, he loves the USA and the USA loves him. Win win all around. Beats fighting for Q3 every weekend with Alpine
He could very well be fighting for podiums with Alpine next year while Piastri is struggling to get into Q3 with the McLaren. Who knows :roll:

ME4ME

What I'm suprised about the most is what warrents the confidence of Piastri in Mclaren? Yes Alpine and Renault have been poor in making year-to-year progress and are a bit of a joke sometimes when it comes to management.

But lets be honest about Mclaren. Two main issues:
- They have a bad record when it comes to junior drivers. They messed up with Perez, Magnussen, Vandoorne. Admittedly they have had a change in management since then, and Norris has since succeeded.
- They haven't created a top car in ages. They blamed Honda for many years. Then got found it when they got a Renault and then Mercedes engine. One particular year it was a disaster, car didn't work. Something to do with the flow around the front tyres. That year was a write-off. Since then, still no great car. Arguably still one of the most hit/miss cars on the grid. Still a costumer engine, unlike Alpine.

Carlos and Norris made the team look good for a while. For made it would've made much more sense for Piastri to drive for Alpha Tauri next year and get into the Red Bull when Perez leaves. At least thats a race and championship winning team, and AT is a lower pressure environment.

_cerber1

ME4ME wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:29
What I'm suprised about the most is what warrents the confidence of Piastri in Mclaren? Yes Alpine and Renault have been poor in making year-to-year progress and are a bit of a joke sometimes when it comes to management.

- They have a bad record when it comes to junior drivers. They messed up with Perez, Magnussen, Vandoorne. Admittedly they have had a change in management since then, and Norris has since succeeded.
- They haven't created a top car in ages. They blamed Honda for many years. Then got found it when they got a Renault and then Mercedes engine. One particular year it was a disaster, car didn't work. Something to do with the flow around the front tyres. That year was a write-off. Since then, still no great car. Arguably still one of the most hit/miss cars on the grid. Still a costumer engine, unlike Alpine.

Carlos and Norris made the team look good for a while. For made it would've made much more sense for Piastri to drive for Alpha Tauri next year and get into the Red Bull when Perez leaves. At least thats a race and championship winning team, and AT is a lower pressure environment.
And yet, McLaren has been a team that has become the best of the rest for several years now. Oscar sees this very well, he also knows that the management is taking every step to improve its infrastructure.

billamend
billamend

Can't believe that after 2 years and two _very different_ cars, people are still coming up with excuses for Ricciardo. Insanity. And now McLaren are the bad guys because they want two drivers that can perform and bring points home.
Last edited by billamend on 05 Aug 2022, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ME4ME wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:29

There are 2 questions there, why is he joining McLaren instead of Alpine and why is he joining McLaren instead of AT with a potential Red Bull seat in the cards…

I’ll try to answer the second one first with a question (I know, not very polite to do it that way), but was he offered a seat at Alpine, was that even in the cards? Forget about going to Red Bull afterwards, it is all contingent on a potential AT interest for him that may not have been there… Red Bull / Marko are known for sticking to their young driver program and with the exception of Perez, they have operated that way for a long time.

In regards to picking Alpine versus McLaren, maybe the most important part in this is that up to Thursday of last week, he didn’t had a seat in F1 for 2023… Vettel was racing for AM, Alonso was staying at Alpine with a 1+1 and for all we know, he may have been offered to Williams in a loan, but Williams didn’t offered a contract (or it wasn’t attractive for him)… If the timeline of events reported is on the ball park, he had a contract signed with McLaren before there was a seat available for him at Alpine… Based on that alone, it wasn’t much of a picking the better team situation, it was a situation of having a seat in 2023.

Why McLaren if they haven’t build a winning car in the last decade?

- I believe it’s unfair to not acknowledge the handicap that the Honda engine was for years, a lot of fans extrapolate the performance of the MCL33 to those of the McLaren - Honda cars in terms of chassis and that would be inaccurate since there wasn’t a lot of carryover between the cars in 2015-16 and 2018… Unless one could put another engine in one of those cars that carried Honda and raced them back to back, we can only especulate.

- The hybrid era is also one in which the teams have been able to apply learnings year over year, with regulation changes and tweaks, but with knowledge base that you could carryover… We are experiencing this year how detrimental for the MCL36 development was to miss laps in testing because of the brakes, how they’ve used practice sessions to recover the loss time and how development has been stalled because of it… Go back to the Honda years and imagine how much development time was lost because of not been able to run testing and practice sessions because engines were blowing up left and right, how much did the gap to the rest increased every time that happened? We can’t underestimate that

- There is an expectation for McLaren to fight at the front, been best of the rest like in 2020 and 2021 (because, even when finishing P4 behind Ferrari, they were still best of the rest considering the “Top 3”)… Are we going to ignore the fact that during the whole hybrid era the Top 3 teams have operated with budgets that are more than twice what McLaren was spending per season? Between the different build capabilities in infrastructure and potentially twice the amount of engineers, designers, etc (for example, Mercedes bringing 2 different cars to a single winter testing, while other teams struggle to bring one)… Are we surprised that they were behind them all these years?… Unless McLaren would have started spending 1 billion per season, they weren’t winning a Championship in those years because it wasn’t just a matter of been in equal footing, it was a matter of catching up too.

Yes, we have a budget cap now, but the effects will take a few seasons to be realized… There is still a gap in technology and knowledge between the top teams and the rest that won’t be closed in a season or two.

geogate
geogate

its fair to say that mclaren overrated their chassis, but their criticism of Honda was entirely justified - they were an absolute shambles in that last winter test, and had been full of empty promises that got found out when mclaren reps did a technical audit.
Alpine are starting to look ok, but that has been only in the last few races. Personally i put that down to Alonso being Alonso. He can find the fastest way to drive anything - exactly what Ricciardo dosnt seem to be able to do

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:00
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 02:26

You are spot on… If they had to give Piastri a Formula 1 seat for 2023 (in Alpine or elsewhere) by July 31st, their announcement had the intention of meeting the portion of the contract that required them to do so (they found him a seat)… But, unluckily for them it wasn’t in within the agreed timeline.

Piastri’s response is simply to ensure (for future legal proceedings) that he wasn’t accepting that seat.
In the interviews that Otmar had given there was a little nugget of information which I think highlights the centre of the dispute.

He says that there was no requirement for the driver to accept the seat he was offered at williams, all the team had to do was offer the seat. I'm not sure if that was also saying that Piastri had to take the drive Alpine offered him or just that it was enough to satisfy that clause in the contract.

So I think it comes down in part to this specific question, Did Piastri need to accept the seat to activate the clause?
Exactly! That’s what’s driving Alpine’s statements… It would be very interesting if Piastri had a contract that stated that he had to accept any contract on any team that was put in front of him.

And the news this morning (it is 6:57am for me) is that McLaren has already communicated to Daniel their intention to run Piastri, which tells that both Piastri and McLaren are comfortable with the driver’s position with Alpine.

I can tell you are yet to catch up ;) lol

To be fair I did make the point about the Williams seat near the start of the Piasco, but it got swallowed in the subsequent general forum flapping.

As it turns out, Alpine thought it hinged on this, but in fact there was not a valid contract, it wasn't signed properly or something!
It cannot get more embarrassing for Alpine. I've never seen such incompetence in my life.
If this is what Alpine think is watertight I'm glad they don't sell umbrellas, they'd be made of fresh air and cheese.

Now we just need to win the Palou case!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 16:13
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:00
mwillems wrote:

I can tell you are yet to catch up ;) lol

To be fair I did make the point about the Williams seat near the start of the Piasco, but it got swallowed in the subsequent general forum flapping.

As it turns out, Alpine thought it hinged on this, but in fact there was not a valid contract, it wasn't signed properly or something!
It cannot get more embarrassing for Alpine. I've never seen such incompetence in my life.
If this is what Alpine think is watertight I'm glad they don't sell umbrellas, they'd be made of fresh air and cheese.

Now we just need to win the Palou case!
I didn’t even noticed the amount of pages that I had to read when I came to the forum, lol.

I hope Daniel finds a seat in Alpine or another Team… He seems like a very nice guy, it just didn’t work out in McLaren

Wil992
Wil992

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:42
Ben1980 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:31
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 13:01

It did, Mclaren got the car driving to his liking and he won the race, not thru luck either!
We've been told the car last year was hard to drive, unique and quirky. Sane as this year?

Now the car was good in Monza no doubt. But there was some luck with the top 2 crashing into each other.
Straight from Lando:
Norris admits that the car has characteristics that make it difficult to drive and require a special technique.

"I can understand on some points," Norris said when asked if he could relate to Ricciardo's struggles. "Because I do feel like it's a difficult car to drive, our car.

"I think like our characteristics we've also had over the past few years, and even Carlos [Sainz] said it, they're quite specific and unique.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/norri ... 34648/amp/

Btw, Daniel was already leading the race when Hamilton and Max collided.
It’s a real stretch to say lando is saying the 2022 car is fundamentally different to all the other 22 cars based on what Is said there. There’s no clear indication of exactly which car he’s referring to at what time, he mentions Carlos, so obviously at that point he’s referring to pre ‘22, but then he says this years car is different.
Different to what? Different to last year’s I’d assume, especially as he also says he had to adapt his style this year, reinforcing that point?
There’s nothing in it that conclusively makes the points you’re inferring from it.
For clarity, there’s nothing there that conclusively points to you being wrong, but that’s kind of my point, the language is vague and open to interpretation.