2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I’m not getting the impression McLaren fans are ecstatic about Piastri joining on all platforms.. seems fairly muted surprisingly

Big Tea

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:47
I’m not getting the impression McLaren fans are ecstatic about Piastri joining on all platforms.. seems fairly muted surprisingly
I think some may be waiting to see if we will see him in the seat first
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Yeah probably. I just don't agree with the idea that Dan did a masterclass at Monza, he was on form and doing what we expect with a fast car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

RedNEO

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:49
RedNEO wrote:
Maybe but it’s interesting.. I think the hold up is just getting Daniels seat announced, the seat is Piastri’s already imo

mwillems

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:54
Big Tea wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Maybe but it’s interesting.. I think the hold up is just getting Daniels seat announced, the seat is Piastri’s already imo
I posted earlier that the seat for Piastri next year depends on Dan accepting the move.

I'm sure he'll get it, but I'm waiting.

I'm very excited about Piastri and can't wait to see him in the car.

RedNEO

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:58
RedNEO wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I posted earlier that the seat for Piastri next year depends on Dan accepting the move.

If by accept you mean nod and say “ok” then yeah he has..
McLaren has told Daniel Ricciardo it intends to replace him with Formula 2 champion Oscar Piastri next season, a source close to the Australian driver has confirmed to ESPN.

ESPN understands Ricciardo was informed of the decision by team boss Andreas Seidl after the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday evening and is now in discussions with the team over a financial settlement to leave his contract a year earlier than its 2023 expiration date.
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34 ... ren-source

mwillems

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:12
mwillems wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

McLaren has told Daniel Ricciardo it intends to replace him with Formula 2 champion Oscar Piastri next season, a source close to the Australian driver has confirmed to ESPN.

ESPN understands Ricciardo was informed of the decision by team boss Andreas Seidl after the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday evening and is now in discussions with the team over a financial settlement to leave his contract a year earlier than its 2023 expiration date.
News outlets don't always know the facts, I am waiting for the team and Daniel to announce it.

I believe it will happen, but my source of truth is not the press.

RedNEO

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:14
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:12
mwillems wrote:

News outlets don't always know the facts, I am waiting for the team and Daniel to announce it.

I believe it will happen, but my source of truth is not the press.
Daniels circle is close to ESPN from what I’ve heard but no problem man :)

RedNEO

Multiple sources have told ESPN McLaren and Piastri have signed a deal for next year and now only Alpine's appeal to the FIA contract recognition board could stop him driving there.
Interesting tidbit from the article.. This could be what’s holding things up, alpine really wants to take a fourth loss?

JPower

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:36
Even if Daniel leaves, something tells me the Daniel vs Lando arguments will continue.
People have been arguing about Monza since that race and I still have no idea why.

In the grand scheme of 35 races, it doesn’t mean that much.

Big Tea

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:20
Multiple sources have told ESPN McLaren and Piastri have signed a deal for next year and now only Alpine's appeal to the FIA contract recognition board could stop him driving there.
Interesting tidbit from the article.. This could be what’s holding things up, alpine really wants to take a fourth loss?
If Dan says ' I'm staying' then by the same token, that of the contract being recognised, they can not put anyone else in the car unless agreed by the board.

Yes, there could be all sorts of crooks and nannys in it saying he is not actually driving at X,X or X, but it would not be worth the hassle to Mclaren if he was not in agreement.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RedNEO

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:23
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:20
If Dan says ' I'm staying' then by the same token, that of the contract being recognised, they can not put anyone else in the car unless agreed by the board.

Yes, there could be all sorts of crooks and nannys in it saying he is not actually driving at X,X or X, but it would not be worth the hassle to Mclaren if he was not in agreement.
I hope he does have that much power over his seat.. but then I’d ask the question why fold instead of racing on with McLaren

RedNEO

The only people who know how good Oscar Piastri is in comparison to todays drivers are Alpine and they wanted to place him in a Williams for another year.. so I’m still skeptical whether this move by McLaren was wisdom but it does weaken there direct rival so maybe they would rather have him anyway even if he doesn’t turn out to be the next Max Verstappen

mwillems

It's different as they are replacing their best performer and one of the best on the grid.

Replacing Dani is not the same situation.

RedNEO

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:46
It's different as they are replacing their best performer and one of the best on the grid.

Replacing Dani is not the same situation.
They treated there best performer like stale bread that was about to be thrown away.. can’t blame Alonso for jumping ship.. the management is all over the place with there confusing messaging. It’s not like they were about to challenge for a championship next year so I don’t see what exactly alpine were trying to do here.