2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I'm not sure how excited I am about Piastri, not massively. Thought the Ricciardo move was was great though, and look how underwhelming that was in the end.

Motörhead

I don’t buy into this different handling car business.
It’s a totally different concept. All drivers are having problems with their car in 2022.
The fact is, Danny should have got on top of this years car by now. He’s come through all the formulas so there’s no excuse. He’s a professional racing driver. In the top 15 in the world perhaps.
Lando has had him for toast consistently in their term together.
Not the case with Carlos.
Danny lucked in with Monza. Admittedly, he had to perform at the right time, and kudos to him, he did.
But…..
He’s consistently well behind Lando in most, if not all occasions bar a few. Comparatively he’s second rate and his results reflect that. Which is a shame but one cannot ignore the facts.
Why would the press be reporting on it every race if this was not the case?
I wish him well for the future. But McLaren are going to bet on a guy that has a similar record to Lewis in his junior years. And who could blame them?
It’s win-win for McLaren and a dose of realism for Alpine.
As a McLaren fan, I’m tired of fighting with one arm tied behind my back. Bring it on!

Big Tea

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:36
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:23
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:20

Interesting tidbit from the article.. This could be what’s holding things up, alpine really wants to take a fourth loss?
If Dan says ' I'm staying' then by the same token, that of the contract being recognised, they can not put anyone else in the car unless agreed by the board.

Yes, there could be all sorts of crooks and nannys in it saying he is not actually driving at X,X or X, but it would not be worth the hassle to Mclaren if he was not in agreement.
I hope he does have that much power over his seat.. but then I’d ask the question why fold instead of racing on with McLaren
I think he is not comfortable there, or at least with the car. I think he will go, but just pointing out that the contract recognition works both ways (as long as its in order)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

billamend

Motörhead wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:11
I don’t buy into this different handling car business.
It’s a totally different concept. All drivers are having problems with their car in 2022.
Its an excuse. And its tiresome. And embarrassing, because he doesn't even understand why he is slower.

mwillems

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:56
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:46
It's different as they are replacing their best performer and one of the best on the grid.

Replacing Dani is not the same situation.
They treated there best performer like stale bread that was about to be thrown away.. can’t blame Alonso for jumping ship.. the management is all over the place with there confusing messaging. It’s not like they were about to challenge for a championship next year so I don’t see what exactly alpine were trying to do here.

Yeah I agree. I don't mean to disrespect Ocon but he should have been replaced by Piastri, but patriotism got in the way of rational judgement.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:17
RedNEO wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:23

If Dan says ' I'm staying' then by the same token, that of the contract being recognised, they can not put anyone else in the car unless agreed by the board.

Yes, there could be all sorts of crooks and nannys in it saying he is not actually driving at X,X or X, but it would not be worth the hassle to Mclaren if he was not in agreement.
I hope he does have that much power over his seat.. but then I’d ask the question why fold instead of racing on with McLaren
I think he is not comfortable there, or at least with the car. I think he will go, but just pointing out that the contract recognition works both ways (as long as its in order)

Here's a question, does having a contract guarantee a seat with the CRB, or would you still need a clause to ensure that?

I expect the latter and I wonder if that is a standard part of most contracts.

Not suggesting he won't gp, I think he'd be happy with a move, I'm just curious.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:57
Big Tea wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Here's a question, does having a contract guarantee a seat with the CRB, or would you still need a clause to ensure that?

If he is guaranteed a seat the he can be as belligerent as he wants.
It just means the contract between the team and the driver is recognised to prevent dual contracts. I don't think the content of the contract matters and is for another body to decide. Not sure though, possibly the same 'board' but a different part of it

This is from F1

Contract Recognition Board (CRB)

(partly reproduced from F1 journalist Joe Saward blog article "Reality in Brackley")

F1 has long had a system of protecting contracted parties with its Contract Recognition Board (CRB). The CRB is designed to protect both the teams and the drivers.
Teams accept that they will respect the decisions of this body when they sign their commercial deals with the Formula One group, when they enter the World Championship and in the driver contracts. Drivers agree to accept the CRB decisions when they sign their team contracts. This also means that all parties agree to expressly submit themselves to the exclusive jurisdiction of the CRB and not go to any other legal bodies, such as the High Court.
this means that a driver can get out of a contract that has been lodged with the CRB only if there are specific clauses in the contract to allow him to do so; or if the team and the driver can reach a suitable arrangement that means that the contract is declared null and void by both parties.
So, even if, for example, a driver decides that he wants to stop driving for a certain team, he can do that, but he cannot then go off and drive for someone else, until the original contract is finished. Thats mean that negotiations for the release of a driver is therefore long proces and usually involves rather considerable amounts of money changing hands.

Edit deleted a wiki entry

billamend

McL-H

That sums it all up doesn’t it. But let’s not forget Lando is on-par with the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen. Changing the 2nd driver might not lead to different results. I mean, we’ve seen the same last year between Verstappen/Perez and to a lesser degree Hamilton/Bottas. Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:00
mwillems wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

It just means the contract between the team and the driver is recognised to prevent dual contracts. I don't think the content of the contract matters and is for another body to decide. Not sure though, possibly the same 'board' but a different part of it

This is from F1

(partly reproduced from F1 journalist Joe Saward blog article "Reality in Brackley")

F1 has long had a system of protecting contracted parties with its Contract Recognition Board (CRB). The CRB is designed to protect both the teams and the drivers.
Teams accept that they will respect the decisions of this body when they sign their commercial deals with the Formula One group, when they enter the World Championship and in the driver contracts. Drivers agree to accept the CRB decisions when they sign their team contracts. This also means that all parties agree to expressly submit themselves to the exclusive jurisdiction of the CRB and not go to any other legal bodies, such as the High Court.
this means that a driver can get out of a contract that has been lodged with the CRB only if there are specific clauses in the contract to allow him to do so; or if the team and the driver can reach a suitable arrangement that means that the contract is declared null and void by both parties.
So, even if, for example, a driver decides that he wants to stop driving for a certain team, he can do that, but he cannot then go off and drive for someone else, until the original contract is finished. Thats mean that negotiations for the release of a driver is therefore long proces and usually involves rather considerable amounts of money changing hands.

Thanks for that. Hopefully it will be resolved before the end of August, I doubt anyone wants this to drag on.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:46
Big Tea wrote:
mwillems wrote:

This is from F1

Thanks for that. Hopefully it will be resolved before the end of August, I doubt anyone wants this to drag on.
Its publicity, and 'they say' there is no bad publicity :mrgreen:

Motörhead

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:46
Big Tea wrote:
mwillems wrote:

This is from F1

Get out of here! You guys are loving this…..
🤣

geogate

McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:43
Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.
If Piastri is on a par with Ricciardo's delta to Norris in his rookie F1 season, no one is going to be critical. All people will want to see from him is upward progression, not stagnation

chrisc90

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:14
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 20:12
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:58

I posted earlier that the seat for Piastri next year depends on Dan accepting the move.

I'm sure he'll get it, but I'm waiting.

I'm very excited about Piastri and can't wait to see him in the car.
If by accept you mean nod and say “ok” then yeah he has..
McLaren has told Daniel Ricciardo it intends to replace him with Formula 2 champion Oscar Piastri next season, a source close to the Australian driver has confirmed to ESPN.

ESPN understands Ricciardo was informed of the decision by team boss Andreas Seidl after the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday evening and is now in discussions with the team over a financial settlement to leave his contract a year earlier than its 2023 expiration date.
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34 ... ren-source
News outlets don't always know the facts, I am waiting for the team and Daniel to announce it.

I believe it will happen, but my source of truth is not the press.
You cant even rely on a team to make a driver announcement these days! :lol: :lol:

Sofa King

McLaren is a stepping stone for Norris to Merc whenever Lewis decides to leave
McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:43
That sums it all up doesn’t it. But let’s not forget Lando is on-par with the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen. Changing the 2nd driver might not lead to different results. I mean, we’ve seen the same last year between Verstappen/Perez and to a lesser degree Hamilton/Bottas. Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.