Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3

Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

McLaren F1 Team logo

I'm bit confused that Formula 1 fans thought McLaren team whether is a full-factory automaker team or an independent/privateer automaker team due to McLaren F1 team utilizes other automotive engine manufacturer in Formula 1.

Your thoughts?

Just_a_fan

Re: Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

It's a customer team because it buys the PU from another F1 team.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Re: Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

AFAIK, Ron still is in charge of the automaking McLaren so to speak. And he first lost his shares in the team, and then was kicked out of the board.

So now not only the F1 team is owned by others, it is also run by others. So it's a privateer outfit that hasn't got anything to do with making road going autos.

Someone who's more knowledgeable can shed more light maybe.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan

Shrieker wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:55
AFAIK, Ron still is in charge of the automaking McLaren so to speak. And he first lost his shares in the team, and then was kicked out of the board.

So now not only the F1 team is owned by others, it is also run by others. So it's a privateer outfit that hasn't got anything to do with making road going autos.

Ron has no links at all with McLaren these days. He lost both the team and the automotive group about 5(?) years ago.

But yes, the F1 team isn't part of the road car set up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

McL-H

It is a privateer as they are not building their own engines, nor have they got work status from an engine supplier. Funny enough, we have a soda can fabricant being a factory team now, building its own engines. While a car manufacturer is still buying other’s engines for financial reasons. It amazes me where Red Bull is getting all the money from. I rarely see anyone drink their stuff. Yet, they are represented in every sport out there and mostly on a very high level too.

wesley123

McL-H wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:00
It amazes me where Red Bull is getting all the money from. I rarely see anyone drink their stuff.
Dude, they sold 9,8 billion cans last year alone, and they had over €5 Billion of revenue in 2018. Their cans are literally everywhere.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

the EDGE

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 19:56
Shrieker wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:55

Ron has no links at all with McLaren these days. He lost both the team and the automotive group about 5(?) years ago.

But yes, the F1 team isn't part of the road car set up.
???

McLaren F1 & McLaren automotive are as connected as Ferrari F1 & their road cars

They are both owned by the same group & operate out of the same facility at Woking, where both race & road cars are manufactured

Ferrari, of course, also build its own engines where as McLarens road car engines are built by Ricardo to McLarens requirements. The new V6 Hybrid was actually designed by McLaren employees

McLaren however are not considered a manufacture, as this denotes a team that builds its own F1 PU, which of course they do not. Being a manufacturer has nothing to do with whether the competitor builds road cars or not

McL-H

wesley123 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:33
McL-H wrote:
It amazes me where Red Bull is getting all the money from. I rarely see anyone drink their stuff.
Dude, they sold 9,8 billion cans last year alone, and they had over €5 Billion of revenue in 2018. Their cans are literally everywhere.
Really? I never see them. I see Coke and Fanta everywhere. Red Bull I see only on billboards. Until 10 years ago I worked at a very busy supermarket. We sold 1 tray a day. While for Coke we sold much much more. I have actually been suspecting them of money laundering. But if your numbers are right, I stand corrected.

PlatinumZealot

I don't think building your own engines has anything to do with being an automaker. Aston Martin rarely makes it's own street car engines these days. I think once you have a road going production car line you are an automaker, because you have access to those funds and your marketing campaign is tied together. Win on Sunday sell cars on Monday. That's just my opinion of course.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mzivtins

the EDGE wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:37
Ferrari, of course, also build its own engines where as McLarens road car engines are built by Ricardo to McLarens requirements. The new V6 Hybrid was actually designed by McLaren employees
Just on that one, as the Engine designs are owned by McLaren and changes were designed by McLaren and Ricardo engineering, it is actually 100% a McLaren engine.

It is more like "A McLaren engine built by Ricardo"

For the MP4-12c GT3 and the 650s GT3 the gearboxes were also built by Ricardo engineering and were a crazy 80kg lighter than the road cars.

When the 720s entered production, huge corners were cut in terms of quality and cost.

For the McLaren road cars brand this meant a drop in value of all of their cars once 720s appeared on the market with a host of pathetic issues born from lack of care and negligence on McLarens part.

This also translated into the 720s GT3 where they opted for the cheaper route of using the xtrac supplied sequential, the same as pretty much all other outfits... At least this wasn't a bad thing as xtrac are amazing.

It is a shame that McLaren are leaving their V8 behind (I honestly think the 3.8l TT was better than the 4.0l TT) and going the v6 hybrid route.

NL_Fer

McL-H wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 09:23
wesley123 wrote:
McL-H wrote:
Really? I never see them. I see Coke and Fanta everywhere. Red Bull I see only on billboards. Until 10 years ago I worked at a very busy supermarket. We sold 1 tray a day. While for Coke we sold much much more. I have actually been suspecting them of money laundering. But if your numbers are right, I stand corrected.
Western Europe the sell at every gas station, people drink them daily and at 1,50€ a can very profitable.

Jolle

mzivtins wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 12:09
the EDGE wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:37
Just on that one, as the Engine designs are owned by McLaren and changes were designed by McLaren and Ricardo engineering, it is actually 100% a McLaren engine.

It is more like "A McLaren engine built by Ricardo"

For the MP4-12c GT3 and the 650s GT3 the gearboxes were also built by Ricardo engineering and were a crazy 80kg lighter than the road cars.

When the 720s entered production, huge corners were cut in terms of quality and cost.

For the McLaren road cars brand this meant a drop in value of all of their cars once 720s appeared on the market with a host of pathetic issues born from lack of care and negligence on McLarens part.

This also translated into the 720s GT3 where they opted for the cheaper route of using the xtrac supplied sequential, the same as pretty much all other outfits... At least this wasn't a bad thing as xtrac are amazing.

It is a shame that McLaren are leaving their V8 behind (I honestly think the 3.8l TT was better than the 4.0l TT) and going the v6 hybrid route.
moah... they own the IP of that engine now, but it's from origin a Nissan racing engine from the eighties for endurance racing that founds it's way (I think) though TWR, at McLaren at some point.

JoeE

NL_Fer wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 08:35
McL-H wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 09:23
wesley123 wrote:

Western Europe the sell at every gas station, people drink them daily and at 1,50€ a can very profitable.
Can confirm this, in Ireland vodka and red bull is one of the go to night out drinks

Hoffman900

wesley123 wrote:
McL-H wrote:
Know people who have worked for corporate RedBull. Not only are energy drinks super profitable and they were first in on the market, but RB is as much a marketing company like Nike is, and they have a lot of worth tied up in that as well.

tpe
tpe

Hoffman900 wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 16:10
Know people who have worked for corporate RedBull. Not only are energy drinks super profitable and they were first in on the market, but RB is as much a marketing company like Nike is, and they have a lot of worth tied up in that as well.
Can you please explain the bold part?
Thank you.