Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

McLaren F1 Team logo

I'm bit confused that Formula 1 fans thought McLaren team whether is a full-factory automaker team or an independent/privateer automaker team due to McLaren F1 team utilizes other automotive engine manufacturer in Formula 1.

Your thoughts?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

It's a customer team because it buys the PU from another F1 team.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Shrieker

Re: Confusion: Is McLaren Formula 1 Team the independent/privateer automaker team or full-factory automaker team?

AFAIK, Ron still is in charge of the automaking McLaren so to speak. And he first lost his shares in the team, and then was kicked out of the board.

So now not only the F1 team is owned by others, it is also run by others. So it's a privateer outfit that hasn't got anything to do with making road going autos.

Someone who's more knowledgeable can shed more light maybe.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Shrieker wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:55 pm
AFAIK, Ron still is in charge of the automaking McLaren so to speak. And he first lost his shares in the team, and then was kicked out of the board.

So now not only the F1 team is owned by others, it is also run by others. So it's a privateer outfit that hasn't got anything to do with making road going autos.

Ron has no links at all with McLaren these days. He lost both the team and the automotive group about 5(?) years ago.

But yes, the F1 team isn't part of the road car set up.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

McL-H
McL-H

It is a privateer as they are not building their own engines, nor have they got work status from an engine supplier. Funny enough, we have a soda can fabricant being a factory team now, building its own engines. While a car manufacturer is still buying other’s engines for financial reasons. It amazes me where Red Bull is getting all the money from. I rarely see anyone drink their stuff. Yet, they are represented in every sport out there and mostly on a very high level too.

wesley123
wesley123

McL-H wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:00 pm
It amazes me where Red Bull is getting all the money from. I rarely see anyone drink their stuff.
Dude, they sold 9,8 billion cans last year alone, and they had over €5 Billion of revenue in 2018. Their cans are literally everywhere.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

the EDGE
the EDGE

Just_a_fan wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:56 pm
Shrieker wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:55 pm

Ron has no links at all with McLaren these days. He lost both the team and the automotive group about 5(?) years ago.

But yes, the F1 team isn't part of the road car set up.
???

McLaren F1 & McLaren automotive are as connected as Ferrari F1 & their road cars

They are both owned by the same group & operate out of the same facility at Woking, where both race & road cars are manufactured

Ferrari, of course, also build its own engines where as McLarens road car engines are built by Ricardo to McLarens requirements. The new V6 Hybrid was actually designed by McLaren employees

McLaren however are not considered a manufacture, as this denotes a team that builds its own F1 PU, which of course they do not. Being a manufacturer has nothing to do with whether the competitor builds road cars or not

McL-H
McL-H

wesley123 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:33 pm
McL-H wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:00 pm
It amazes me where Red Bull is getting all the money from. I rarely see anyone drink their stuff.
Dude, they sold 9,8 billion cans last year alone, and they had over €5 Billion of revenue in 2018. Their cans are literally everywhere.
Really? I never see them. I see Coke and Fanta everywhere. Red Bull I see only on billboards. Until 10 years ago I worked at a very busy supermarket. We sold 1 tray a day. While for Coke we sold much much more. I have actually been suspecting them of money laundering. But if your numbers are right, I stand corrected.

PlatinumZealot

I don't think building your own engines has anything to do with being an automaker. Aston Martin rarely makes it's own street car engines these days. I think once you have a road going production car line you are an automaker, because you have access to those funds and your marketing campaign is tied together. Win on Sunday sell cars on Monday. That's just my opinion of course.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||