2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

you are cherry picking quotes. Lando goes on to say how he is relatively comfortable with an unstable car and ricciardo isnt. Exactly the same with Max at red bull. Why do they continue with that - both mclaren and red bull? because it is the way they can give a driver capable of handling it the fastest car they can.

ringo

I think Daniel was very good in his redbull. And respextable but not spectacular in the renault.
In the Mclaren Lando is too much for him.
Ricciardo is talented but i feel he fails to keep up with the times like Alonso amd Lewis did.
I dont think Ricciardo is as hard working as those 2 either. If he put in as much work i think he would be able to beat Lando.
But alas, he hasnt. He has lost so much time in F1 since leaving redbull. He has gotren no closer to a championship. He lefr Renault thinking Mclaren was going to challenge for titles.. now he he is going back where he started after getting beat for 2 years.
Maybe he will join Vettel in retirement.
I dont see him getting into a top team any time soon. The only way he gets a challenger is if a midfield team that he drives for finds a silver bullet. Or overtime they improve to challenge at the front.
But as far as i see his career was ended by Lando.
For Sure!!

JPower

McL-H wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:01
JPower wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 23:58
McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 22:43

That sums it all up doesn’t it. But let’s not forget Lando is on-par with the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen. Changing the 2nd driver might not lead to different results. I mean, we’ve seen the same last year between Verstappen/Perez and to a lesser degree Hamilton/Bottas. Perez and Bottas are not bad drivers. It’s just that their teammates came from a different planet. It could be very well that this time next year, Norris has ended Piastri’s career.
You never saw that from Bottas. If there's one thing he does well, its qualifying.
No, not qualifying. But his performance overall. He got destroyed on race day.
The original post was about qualifying. What does race day matter?

djos

geogate wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 02:51
you are cherry picking quotes. Lando goes on to say how he is relatively comfortable with an unstable car and ricciardo isnt. Exactly the same with Max at red bull. Why do they continue with that - both mclaren and red bull? because it is the way they can give a driver capable of handling it the fastest car they can.
I’m not, I’m merely pointing out that even Lando says the car is not intuitive to drive.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Twitter is going nuts ATM, this is my favourite tweet so far:

"In downforce we trust"

djos

Looks like Mclaren are working with Daniel to find him another F1 Seat:
Having secured Piastri’s services, McLaren is now working on financial terms to buy out the remainder of Ricciardo’s contract for next season, but also wants to try and make sure Ricciardo lands at another team, with the ideal scenario a seat swap with his fellow Australian at Alpine.
https://apple.news/AkTjgGxedSJqf9AWT4uXzSQ
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

It is very possible that Piastri signed a test driver contract for 2023 with guarantee of McLaren race seat in 2024, but due the Vettel black hole things got shaken up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 04:04
It is very possible that Piastri signed a test driver contract for 2023 with guarantee of McLaren race seat in 2024, but due the Vettel black hole things got shaken up.
Based on the info I’ve seen in a couple of articles, I believe McLaren signed Oscar to a 2023 reserve driver contract, with the option to take Daniel’s seat if they could convince him to move on.
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Its the boring option but it might very well end up being that. Daniels stays at McLaren but has to go at end of 2023 and he signs a precontract to another team for 2024 to keep his career alive
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 05:05
Its the boring option but it might very well end up being that. Daniels stays at McLaren but has to go at end of 2023 and he signs a precontract to another team for 2024 to keep his career alive
It’s possible, but going to Alpine for next year seems like his best option ATM.
"In downforce we trust"

Ben1980

If Ricciardo stays another season, he is surely just nailing his career. There doesn't seem to be much chance that he will suddenly become great in the car. The cars aren't changing. Another season like this and the last will kill his career.

If he has a chance to sign elsewhere he needs to take it, he can say year and a half things just didn't work out, but 3 years of poor performance. It starts to look terminal.

Ben1980

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:27

Though in the last 4 years he is also behind Leclerc and perez and level with Ocon Sainz and Gasly. .

But past performance doesn't guarantee future performance

McL-H

JPower wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:13
McL-H wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 00:01
JPower wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 23:58

You never saw that from Bottas. If there's one thing he does well, its qualifying.
No, not qualifying. But his performance overall. He got destroyed on race day.
The original post was about qualifying. What does race day matter?
It was about difference between teammates, as well as it was about qualifying. Everything is about race day :roll:

mwillems

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 05:05
There is always the Kimi Raikanen option, pay him to have a long holiday. It depends on what is in Dan's contract. He may well hold all the cards.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Edax

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:27

Turning that around: reportedly he get’s paid more than 3 of the people above him.

I think Ricciardo’s main problem is that he considers himself a championship candidate and Mclaren believed him and gave him a mega contract.

Sorry for being blunt but by now it is abundantly clear that that wont happen unless:

1) He has the fastest car.
2) His teammate is not Norris, Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc, Sainz or Russell.
3) It does not rain for a year.

Problem with Ricciardo is not that he is not a good driver (he obviously is), but that at Mclaren he tips the value for money scale to the wrong side.