2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
langedweil

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

ringo wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 04:42
But Ocon is a race winner..
Also he is loyal.
Loyalty without any options isn't really loyalty, is it ? Seems more like stay quite, do as told, and renew as long as possible ..
HuggaWugga !

AR3-GP

F1since1980 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:10
diffuser wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:10
djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:18
Ricciardo would be the best candidate of the bunch, especially as Alpine clearly wanted a multiple race winning team leader in the other seat.
Ricciardo has an option with McLaren next year. If he picks up the option, McLaren will have to pay him 15 Million regardless if they have him drive or not.

So if I was Alpine I'd tell Ricciardo to pick the option. Then you can negotiate to take Ricciardo of McLaren's for $1.

This is a joke. Someone needs to get fired for this screw up if it's true. I'd presume it would be some Lawyer advising Alpine.
Fault lies with Laurent Rossi- IMO he is over his head. He needed to take business negotiation 101 when he was getting his Harvard MBA, might of missed that one or maybe it was an elective... Otmar just follows his orders. This has cost the team millions and management has a credibility issue with its employees. Well done Rossi.
Yep, they've pretty much shattered the morale in the team into a thousand pieces.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 05:22
F1since1980 wrote:
diffuser wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:10

Ricciardo has an option with McLaren next year. If he picks up the option, McLaren will have to pay him 15 Million regardless if they have him drive or not.

So if I was Alpine I'd tell Ricciardo to pick the option. Then you can negotiate to take Ricciardo of McLaren's for $1.

This is a joke. Someone needs to get fired for this screw up if it's true. I'd presume it would be some Lawyer advising Alpine.
Fault lies with Laurent Rossi- IMO he is over his head. He needed to take business negotiation 101 when he was getting his Harvard MBA, might of missed that one or maybe it was an elective... Otmar just follows his orders. This has cost the team millions and management has a credibility issue with its employees. Well done Rossi.
Yep, they've pretty much shattered the morale in the team into a thousand pieces.
Hiring a big, very constructive personality like Daniel would definitely help rebuild morale. You only need to look at the impact he's had at McLaren, they love him, but clearly their car with it's inconsistent handling traits does not suit him at all. Hopefully the 23' Alpine suits him like the 2020 car did.
"In downforce we trust"

1m0bius1

There is no real alternative to ricciardo.

Mick? Newbie and seemingly average at best
Latifi? Worst driver by far on grid

Ricciardo is actually the best option by far. He knows the team, the facilities basically everything. If he signs now, they know what preferences he likes with the car so they can stsrt immediate work with the 23 car.

Alpine will likely provision several self protection mechanisms in the contract since he left last time. But they will not get a better team leader than Dan.

Mclaren are, hate to say it but morons. It's clear they chose landoa preferences and the old car philosophy into the new regulations. I'm sure Dan will revive his career at alpine

Big Tea

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 06:28
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 05:22
F1since1980 wrote:

Hiring a big, very constructive personality like Daniel would definitely help rebuild morale. You only need to look at the impact he's had at McLaren, they love him, but clearly their car with it's inconsistent handling traits does not suit him at all. Hopefully the 23' Alpine suits him like the 2020 car did.
That depends. If he does not like things he could easily become the leader of a clique of the disgruntled.
I do not mean he would lead it, but that he would become the focus of it, and management would have no option other than to discredit him or lose him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

1m0bius1 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 09:39

Giovanazzi or Hulkenberg could be other possibilities.

djos

JordanMugen wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 12:28
1m0bius1 wrote:

Racing Jesus was extremely underwhelming and Hulk, while a nice bloke, is only a medium level talent.

Ricciardo is the only real option to replace Alonso.
"In downforce we trust"

Redragon

langedweil wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 03:15
ringo wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 04:42
But Ocon is a race winner..
Also he is loyal.
Loyalty without any options isn't really loyalty, is it ? Seems more like stay quite, do as told, and renew as long as possible ..
So true

RS200E

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 12:32
JordanMugen wrote:
1m0bius1 wrote:

Racing Jesus was extremely underwhelming and Hulk, while a nice bloke, is only a medium level talent.

Ricciardo is a medium talent now. All he has is that cringe smile which is even fading now. Much better off at the true midfield forever team Alpine.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

djos

RS200E wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:01
djos wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Ricciardo is a medium talent now. All he has is that cringe smile which is even fading now. Much better off at the true midfield forever team Alpine.
No, he’s just a driver who needs a car he can trust.
"In downforce we trust"

Mansell89

Amazes me how fast people throw drives away on here like garbage into a dustbin.

Dan Ricciardo has basically had a season and a half nightmare at McLaren, but everything prior to that was an upward curve and a very good level of driving.

Did superbly at Red Bull once promoted, compare favourably against Vettel, wasnt miles away from Verstappen, and then established himself as clear best at Renault.

Personally think McLaren- a team I love- have made their usual error of having a love-in with their stable protege and have left Ricc feeling a bit of a second string and therefore only made performances worse.

I’d be supremely confident of him driving the wheels of the Alpine if he goes back- my bigger concern is just what must be going on there for Alonso and Piastri to have turned them down.

The irony of ever they suddenly produced a rocket….they couldn’t, could they?

RS200E

djos wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:06
RS200E wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:01
djos wrote:

No, he’s just a driver who needs a car he can trust.
Nonsense he's had nearly 2 seasons to get it to his liking. I don't think you are comprehending the massive amount of time he has had and the the kind of changes that go on. This isn't just a few test sessions. Would maybe be a bit better for Ricciardo if there was a midfield driver in the other car, but Norris is showing the potential of the car. Any other top driver would do the same job or better Norris is doing at the moment so that leaves Riccardo as old news.

RS200E

Mansell89 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:10
Amazes me how fast people throw drives away on here like garbage into a dustbin.

Dan Ricciardo has basically had a season and a half nightmare at McLaren, but everything prior to that was an upward curve and a very good level of driving.

Did superbly at Red Bull once promoted, compare favourably against Vettel, wasnt miles away from Verstappen, and then established himself as clear best at Renault.

Personally think McLaren- a team I love- have made their usual error of having a love-in with their stable protege and have left Ricc feeling a bit of a second string and therefore only made performances worse.

I’d be supremely confident of him driving the wheels of the Alpine if he goes back- my bigger concern is just what must be going on there for Alonso and Piastri to have turned them down.

The irony of ever they suddenly produced a rocket….they couldn’t, could they?
See my post above. Ricciardo has reached his true level. He's against someone now who is close in talent to the top drivers. Not against a developing young Max or a fading Vettel. Again you are someone who doesn't seem to realise the scale of nearly 2 seasons in F1. You ae correct that he might shine in the Alpine. Only because he will be against Ocon.

Bisonas

If Alpine had a 31/7 deadline to sign Piastri, (as it is speculated) and managed to come into August 1st without having secured the signature of at least one of the 2 candidates for the seat, Alonso or Piastri, IMO we are talking about some serious incompetence management wise. It's seems to me really unbelievable.

If thats the case, Alpine may let it pass for now, because if they start taking heads now it would look even worse, but if the stories are true and there was a deadline that they missed, i will be very very surprised if both Otmar and Rossi are in the team next year. I would except one of them to take the fall, during the winter.

I am just waiting, quite speechless tbh, to learn exactly what happened and how things where played out.

Redragon

Bisonas wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 14:00
If Alpine had a 31/7 deadline to sign Piastri, (as it is speculated) and managed to come into August 1st without having secured the signature of at least one of the 2 candidates for the seat, Alonso or Piastri, IMO we are talking about some serious incompetence management wise. It's seems to me really unbelievable.

If thats the case, Alpine may let it pass for now, because if they start taking heads now it would look even worse, but if the stories are true and there was a deadline that they missed, i will be very very surprised if both Otmar and Rossi are in the team next year. I would except one of them to take the fall, during the winter.

I am just waiting, quite speechless tbh, to learn exactly what happened and how things where played out.
I think Otmar wasn't reacting fast enough, he knew Alonso wanted multiyear contract and they stick to one year with option of one more but Alosno knew of Piastri situation so when Vettel announced retirement open up the negotiations of the offer that Stroll senior offer him on April. Otmar should have suspected that should have been some negotiations going on when he recognise saw Alonso team talking with AM on the padock during the hungarian GP on this interview, so he should have reacted and put final offer to see where Alonso was at and decide if sign Piastri or no. But he just thought all is good probably was thinking on his holidays already https://www.planetf1.com/news/otmar-sza ... onso-move/