2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
selvam_e2002

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

1m0bius1 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 09:39
There is no real alternative to ricciardo.

Mick? Newbie and seemingly average at best
Latifi? Worst driver by far on grid

Ricciardo is actually the best option by far. He knows the team, the facilities basically everything. If he signs now, they know what preferences he likes with the car so they can stsrt immediate work with the 23 car.

Alpine will likely provision several self protection mechanisms in the contract since he left last time. But they will not get a better team leader than Dan.

Mclaren are, hate to say it but morons. It's clear they chose landoa preferences and the old car philosophy into the new regulations. I'm sure Dan will revive his career at alpine
Yes. It is true. They are not willing to make changes as Ric like. They chosen Noris over Ric. I even worried about Oscar, he may get destroyed by Noris like Vandroone. Let see

selvam_e2002

Ottmar is a team destroyer. He will do the best to destroy Alpine and Renault will pull over from F1 and only supply engine to Andriti.

RS200E

selvam_e2002 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 14:59
1m0bius1 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 09:39
There is no real alternative to ricciardo.

Mick? Newbie and seemingly average at best
Latifi? Worst driver by far on grid

Ricciardo is actually the best option by far. He knows the team, the facilities basically everything. If he signs now, they know what preferences he likes with the car so they can stsrt immediate work with the 23 car.

Alpine will likely provision several self protection mechanisms in the contract since he left last time. But they will not get a better team leader than Dan.

Mclaren are, hate to say it but morons. It's clear they chose landoa preferences and the old car philosophy into the new regulations. I'm sure Dan will revive his career at alpine
Yes. It is true. They are not willing to make changes as Ric like. They chosen Noris over Ric. I even worried about Oscar, he may get destroyed by Noris like Vandroone. Let see
McLaren haven't chosen anyone. Ricciardo has had his chance and blew it. Norris is simply faster. It happens, get used to it.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

F1since1980

Nice take by Peter Windsor on the Oscar and Alpine. If anyone is interested. I enjoyed his opinion on it.

PlatinumZealot

selvam_e2002 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 15:03
Ottmar is a team destroyer. He will do the best to destroy Alpine and Renault will pull over from F1 and only supply engine to Andriti.
Huh? You have to explain that one! He worked wonders at Force India/Racing Point.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

F1since1980 wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 19:53

Nice take by Peter Windsor on the Oscar and Alpine. If anyone is interested. I enjoyed his opinion on it.
I agree. No Loyalty by Oscar after all that Alpine has done for him. It's a slap in the face if you ask me.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Redragon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:26
F1since1980 wrote:

I agree. No Loyalty by Oscar after all that Alpine has done for him. It's a slap in the face if you ask me.
But he signed an agreement and pre contract, he is loyal to his signing. Yes Alpine bet on him and pay for his early years but they didn't commit fully to sing him. If Vettel didn't retire we will be happy that he was running for Mclaren until he has a seat in Alpine. Is not Piastri fault Alpine wasn't reacting fast.

F1since1980

Agree, but it sounds like they had a seat lined up for him at Williams next year. Maybe that was not signed in time or he never wanted that to begin with. But I would think what was good for George Russell (didn't have much choice), should also be good for Oscar no harm in that seat - Russell also is a first time F2 champ and look who he beat to get it- he is also a great talent.
Error was Alpine giving him the opportunity to be a reserve driver to Mclaren in case they needed him, and he probably worked in their sim as well - what the hell were they thinking???. He got a bit spoiled maybe and Zak is no fool. Either way, huge mess up on Alpines part (or maybe time will tell). Why have a driver academy when you don't have a way to promote your drivers? No B team, too cheap to buy one - either spend or go home I guess... shame

saviour stivala

‘’Ottmar is a team destroyer”. Incredible what can creep-up into a man’s mind. More so if he happen to follow F1.

Big Tea

I would have thought he had asked what was happening at Alpine before signing else where unless it was signed some time ago.

If I was alpine I would also appreciate him dropping me a text saying 'look, I am signed elsewhere next year and not driving for you, so please withdraw that release' rather than do it in the very embarrassing way he did.

However I am the first to admit I really do not know what was going on within the team (does anyone? ) and there may well be friction, which could have added to Alonso leaving too.

It does seem to be that he is very early in his career to be alienating a team to who de owes much, even if he has no intention of going there, as there are only 10 teams in total and dumping one of the mid field shortens his options for years to come.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

F1doc

F1since1980 wrote:

The whole picture will come out soon, but I think Peter Windsor has got this wrong. I unsubscribed to his channel and written pieces a long while ago as I find them biased.

I think senior management at Alpine have a lot to do with the decision that Alonso, Webber, Briatore and Piastri came to. I am sure there was a coordinated effort in leaving the Alpine fold. How Alonso posted his thumbs up moments after Piastri's now infamous tweet suggests they all knew each others plans in part, or in full.

F1since1980

Good point. Yes, Peter Windsor can be a bit biased. It seems everyone has a bias these days and makes a youtube channel...
Maybe you are right - something not good behind closed doors. Don't know why it should be as this has been a better year for them, and they are carrying good momentum. Either way it will be very interesting in the days leading up to first practice at Spa.

LHamilton

F1doc wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 22:33
F1since1980 wrote:

The whole picture will come out soon, but I think Peter Windsor has got this wrong. I unsubscribed to his channel and written pieces a long while ago as I find them biased.

I think senior management at Alpine have a lot to do with the decision that Alonso, Webber, Briatore and Piastri came to. I am sure there was a coordinated effort in leaving the Alpine fold. How Alonso posted his thumbs up moments after Piastri's now infamous tweet suggests they all knew each others plans in part, or in full.
If it turns out that it was a 'coordinated effort', what does that do to Alonso coming back after the summer break? I'm sure he would do a good job and get on with most of the team. But what about Otmar or any other that MIGHT'VE been offended by the 'coordinated effort'? Could trust issues develop to the degree that Alpine might look towards replacing Alonso already mid part of the season? It would hurt their chances against McLaren in constructors.

But if the upper hierarchy feel like Alonso won't do his part to 100 percent, who knows. And with Alonso, you never know. He does have the professionality in him, but he also knows how to play the game.

The more likely chance is that they complete the season together and swallow any pride/overcome any potential challenges.

JPower

If you're Alpine, who do you offer the 2 year contract to: Gasly or Ricciardo?

Let's say Gasly wants $5-7million and Ricciardo is asking $10-12million.

Otmar would have to convince Ocon of the former, and Luca de Meo of the latter.

Mogster

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:26
F1since1980 wrote:

That’s pretty much the way I see it. Alpine have paid for Piastri’s FIA F3 and F2 seasons, have given him extensive testing in 3 year old cars. They’ve invested plenty of time and money in his career. So why shouldn’t they have a say in his near future, why not drive for Williams in 2023? It seems petulant and could backfire massively if Piastri doesn’t at least come close to matching Norris next year.

Of corse there may be more to this saga that’s yet to be revealed…