2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:24
djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:21
Ben1980 wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:16

Do t think your claim says what you think it does
Logic isn’t something you are familiar with it would seem.

Maybe I'm confused, but you seem to be basing Lando saying the cars are completely different and need a different driving style with saying the car is the same as before?
FFS, did you read what Lando said?
like holding the brake in some sorts of corners that you don't feel like you want to hold the brake in, and then doing the opposite in other corners.

"It's not like an obvious thing on how to drive the car in every corner."
It’s clear, the car handling is not consistent from corner type to corner type and doesn’t respond that way a driver would expect a normal race car to behave!

I’m not defending Daniel, I’m just pointing out that even Lando agreed the Mclaren behaviours are not inline with normal expectations.
Last edited by djos on 08 Aug 2022, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:35
I'd dare say, as mentioned, evert car is unique.
This is a BS line, Daniel has driven the worst car on the grid (HRT) through to a mid pack car (TR & Renault) to a top 2 car (RBR) and adapted just fine (including a big regulation change to the wide track cars while at RBR).

Yes all the cars are unique, but Daniel has adapted to the other 4 cars just fine. That says more about the Mclaren than Daniel IMHO.
"In downforce we trust"

Slahinki
Slahinki

djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 09:43
Slahinki wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 00:08
Oleo wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 22:11

Ricciardo had like 3 poor qualy's which caused bad raceresults in races where Norris finished 6th or 7th, his racepace seems mostly fine, when he is ahead of Norris McLaren were not in the points (except Baku), when Norris is ahead they were, add a few technical issues and the small firstcorner mistake in Imola (Norris podium) and the conclusion is his performance is actually pretty decent.
It's not a decent performance by any metric. At all. Neither by qualifying pace, race pace or points. The head to head is attrocious. Decent performance, lmao.
Whatever! The mob here that write Daniel off because he made the mistake of joining a team who’s car has “unique” handling characteristics that don’t inspire confidence really pi$$ me off!

Put Hamilton in the current Mclaren and you’d see him bitch and moan like he was earlier this year - compare that to Daniel who has been all class, never said a bad word about the team or car and always done his best to improve himself.

The haters here need to pull their heads in!
Can't say I really see that many people, if any at all, hating on Daniel in this thread. But you do you. The fact remains that Daniel is being dominated to the level of what Alonso did to Vandoorne, and in some metrics he's arguably doing worse than Vandoorne did. It doesn't matter if the car is --- or not, he's expected to be somewhat close to his team mate but he's miles off and has been for most of these two seasons. It cannot be that hard to accept that when you fail to deliver to the degree that has happened with Daniel at McLaren, you don't get to continue.

Ben1980
Ben1980

djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:43
Ben1980 wrote:
This is a BS line, Daniel has driven the worst car on the grid (HRT) through to a mid pack car (TR & Renault) to a top 2 car (RBR) and adapted just fine (including a big regulation change to the wide track cars while at RBR).

Yes all the cars are unique, but Daniel has adapted to the other 4 cars just fine. That says more about the Mclaren than Daniel IMHO.
It says he can't adapt to the mclaren. No more no less.

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:56
djos wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

It says he can't adapt to the mclaren. No more no less.
Agreed. Tell that to those saying otherwise.
"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM
PhillipM

He's not adapted to two different Mclarens under different rulesets and he needed a fair bit of changing around with the Renault before he could make it work for him

djos

PhillipM wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 14:26
He's not adapted to two different Mclarens under different rulesets and he needed a fair bit of changing around with the Renault before he could make it work for him
Even Lando has said there is carry over.

Regarding Renault, sure he didn’t set the world on fire in year 1, however he still out scored his team mate quite easily despite having been at the team since the year before.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:19
mwillems wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:10
djos wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 13:01

The onus is on you to back up up your claim, I’ve already provided evidence from Lando to confirm my claim.
Evidence?

Lando adapted and Dan didn't. Case closed.
He has driven cars in other classes so its not like he’s never driven another race car.

My point is simply that the car is unique. We all know he has been able to adapt, that is not in dispute.
But nobody else in here is saying he can't drive another car well or that they don't want him to, so why you keep responding to everyone as if that IS what they are saying is anyones guess. You seem to have taken this so personally as a Mclaren and Dan R fan that you can't process it, but this is not the forums fault.

Nobody is saying he won't drive well anywhere else or hopes that he doesn't come good. The only sane and rational point mentioned is that it may be the formula itself which gives the car some of the traits Dan doesn't like, in which case he may struggle elsewhere.

We get you have an opinion and it is strong and rooting for Dan, but please can we end this "Dan will surely rise again!" narrative, everyone knows he can come good elsewhere, no idea why you specifically need every member of the forum to confirm it for you nor why you think they should, nor why you think they should not have the opinion that he has failed at Mclaren and been outshone, because it is perfectly valid. If you want your opinion accepted, accept others too.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

One of the reports on Piastri signing for McLaren stated it was a one year deal, I think it was ESPN, but not sure. If true, that would be a bit odd.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 16:13
One of the reports on Piastri signing for McLaren stated it was a one year deal, I think it was ESPN, but not sure. If true, that would be a bit odd.
Not really. He is completely unproven in F1 and to be tied in for another year would be stupid.
I am not saying bomb him out after one year if he does not live up to expectations, but if he had a two year contract and Zak said 'look, we want you to develop in a Williams for a year' we all know the expected reply.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 16:30
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 16:13
Not really. He is completely unproven in F1 and to be tied in for another year would be stupid.
I am not saying bomb him out after one year if he does not live up to expectations, but if he had a two year contract and Zak said 'look, we want you to develop in a Williams for a year' we all know the expected reply.
Oh, yeah for sure! But I would at least expect an option for 2024, in McLaren’s favour?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

It is a bit odd because it was also reported that he is our reserve driver for next year unless a seat comes free, which they expect to for obvious reasons.

But if he was potentially going to be a reserve driver for a year then that would mean we could then lose him before he had a chance to drive our car.

Interestingly, having read through various articles to see if it is a one year deal or if they only talk about the first year because of the Ricciardo implications, I noticed a few times that Daniel does reportedly have in his contract a seat guarantee and that he can do whatever he likes.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 17:30
It is a bit odd because it was also reported that he is our reserve driver for next year unless a seat comes free, which they expect to for obvious reasons.

But if he was potentially going to be a reserve driver for a year then that would mean we could then lose him before he had a chance to drive our car.

Interestingly, having read through various articles to see if it is a one year deal or if they only talk about the first year because of the Ricciardo implications, I noticed a few times that Daniel does reportedly have in his contract a seat guarantee and that he can do whatever he likes.
There are a lot of assumptions turned into facts by journalists that use each other as their “sources”… I would be careful taking as accurate anything reported at this point unless is coming directly from either the Team or the Driver (and even then, one still has to be careful… I’m looking at you Alpine and your Piastri statement).

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 17:40
mwillems wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 17:30

There are a lot of assumptions turned into facts by journalists that use each other as their “sources”… I would be careful taking as accurate anything reported at this point unless is coming directly from either the Team or the Driver (and even then, one still has to be careful… I’m looking at you Alpine and your Piastri statement).
This is true! Hence the word "reportedly", I don't take any of this for granted :lol:

reportedly
/rɪˈpɔːtɪdli/
adverb
according to what some say (used to express the speaker's belief that the information given is not necessarily true).

politburo
politburo

djos wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

You keep talking about the past and not now, HRT, TR and RedBull are nearly half a decade ago now. How is it McLaren's fault he has not adapted to two different iterations of their F1 cars when his teammate has adapted and maximised the most out of both?
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"