2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mzso

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

aleks_ader wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 22:30
I never saw in drizzle condition hard compund would make any sense... Thats basics of racing... i mean i cannnot believe beacuse its dumm.
Also, since one half of their drivers even struggled with mediums, it was kind of obvious what is going to happen. No wonder Russel laughed, when Hamilton was surprised that Leclerc was on hards.

CRazyLemon

diffuser wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 17:57
CRazyLemon wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 14:25
This makes no sense. Taking the grid penalty to bring PU 4 into the pool makes no sense if you're going to bring PU 5 into the pool because PU 4 can no longer be used. I concede some penalties are coming, even starting from the back, but not in Spa.
You can use any PU in the pool you want.
I don't think you can past the original 3 allotment for the season. It prevents teams starting at the back one race and stacking pu's as McLaren did one season. PU 5 comes in PU 4 is out of the pool and can only be used for FP sessions.

JPower

I could easily see Leclerc taking the penalty at Spa with Sainz taking his at Monza. You would want to avoid taking penalties at Zandvoort or Singapore at all cost.

mendis

CRazyLemon wrote:
11 Aug 2022, 04:43
diffuser wrote:
CRazyLemon wrote:
This makes no sense. Taking the grid penalty to bring PU 4 into the pool makes no sense if you're going to bring PU 5 into the pool because PU 4 can no longer be used. I concede some penalties are coming, even starting from the back, but not in Spa.
I don't think you can past the original 3 allotment for the season. It prevents teams starting at the back one race and stacking pu's as McLaren did one season. PU 5 comes in PU 4 is out of the pool and can only be used for FP sessions.
That's incorrect. Whatever is in the pool can be used. What happened in 2015 with McLaren was that, multiple PUs got added in the same weekend with just one penalty. That's why rule was changed to allow only the last component (of same type) added in that weekend can go in the pool. If 3 ICEs are added in a weekend, only the last added will be allowed and the other two are out. Same applies to MGUH, MGUK and CE. Teams can take penalties each weekend and add one new set in the pool every week and use that across the season. The pool has no limit.

diffuser

CRazyLemon wrote:
11 Aug 2022, 04:43
diffuser wrote:
CRazyLemon wrote:
You're not allowed to bring on 2 PUs at a time, what McLaren did. In fact they even allow openning up the PU for certain repair, for example the 2nd race where Alonso's PU dropped the water pump. Previously they were not allowed to open the PU up to fix that. They had a working PU without a functioning water pump so it was dead. Now can fix that water pump and use the PU.

CRazyLemon

Do we think Ferrari will protest the ride height rules for 2023?

TimW

CRazyLemon wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 09:58
There are no ride height rules, only the floor edge is raised. Furthermore a compromise has been reached, it will be raised 15mm instead of the 25mm in the original proposal. So unlikely that Ferrari will protest.

ringo

Binnoto says the team's aim was to be competitive not the fight for the chanpionship.
So does this mea. redbull gets a free and easy. championship?
Basically no one is fighting them to win the title.

And what will Ferrari do going forward, continue to focus on themselves and improve internally, or try to take at least 1 crown.

Over the season i would say the weaknesses is they just arent as battle hardened as Redbull. And this will come with time. Binnotto is right about that. I think too much was expected of them to be the best strategically as they were out of practice; they stakes were not high enough.
It is hard to see this team winning at the end of the season. The gap is too great.
For Sure!!

Andres125sx

ringo wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 19:30
Binnoto says the team's aim was to be competitive not the fight for the chanpionship.
So does this mea. redbull gets a free and easy. championship?
Basically no one is fighting them to win the title.

And what will Ferrari do going forward, continue to focus on themselves and improve internally, or try to take at least 1 crown.

Over the season i would say the weaknesses is they just arent as battle hardened as Redbull. And this will come with time. Binnotto is right about that. I think too much was expected of them to be the best strategically as they were out of practice; they stakes were not high enough.
It is hard to see this team winning at the end of the season. The gap is too great.

We fans have very short memories, we must remind from time to time past season Ferrari was so far from the title fight some of us were very hesitant to believe they would have a chance in 2022... but they did a great job and are title contenders this season... or have been for many GPs

They still have many aspects to improve, like strategy or pitstops (at least for Carlos), but the step forward Ferrari proved this season have been huge, and we must try to keep perspective and be patient, they´re on the right way :)

basti313

TimW wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 10:29
CRazyLemon wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 09:58
There are no ride height rules, only the floor edge is raised. Furthermore a compromise has been reached, it will be raised 15mm instead of the 25mm in the original proposal. So unlikely that Ferrari will protest.
Yes. Plus the changes on the front wing. They also clearly reduced the outwash on the front wing, something that can not be called under the point of safety. So my interpretation is that they simply leveled it: Take the change in the floor and get the front wing rules changed as compensation.
ringo wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 19:30
The classical Ringo nonsense? Getting strategy right in the midfield is even harder than at the front and competing in F1 should always be "high stakes".
Also "the gap is too great"??? To what? Ferrari had the best pace in multiple races now. Half of the coming races are classical 1-stoppers. Not much to screw up for Ferrari...
Don`t russel the hamster!

ringo

If you look back on past seasons, they have been messing up pitstops quite often and running strategies that destroyed the #2 drivers race. They were never the best with strategy. They were the best team when it comes to rear gunning on the track and even now they cant even do that because Carlos refuses to sacrfice himself. They have a lot of imrpoving to do.
When i say gap, i refer to points gap, not the speed of the car. This car is like a 2013 mercedes, fast in qualy, but doesnt seem to great or predictable in race conditions when it comes to race pace. It's not slow, but too many times are threatened by George or Lewis.
I do hope magically they end up with at least 1 title this year, but it will take a huge operational transformation.
Redbull are the best team in F1 now. Carlos will need to Kamikaze Max for at least 4 races for Charles to have a chance. And that aint happening. lol
For Sure!!

JPower

basti313 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:29

The classical Ringo nonsense? Getting strategy right in the midfield is even harder than at the front and competing in F1 should always be "high stakes".
Given the difference in Ferrari's strategy calls in 2021 vs 2022, I don't think I agree. The mechanics may be the same, but the pressure of making the right decision while fighting for the lead is very different.

basti313

JPower wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 15:46
basti313 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 14:29

Given the difference in Ferrari's strategy calls in 2021 vs 2022, I don't think I agree. The mechanics may be the same, but the pressure of making the right decision while fighting for the lead is very different.
I can not see this. They screwed any possible win (Stone) or podium (Turk) last year whenever they could. There is nothing that may support they are doing worse because they are under pressure this year. Of course there were many examples last year where they were on lost position like Sai vs. Ric last year in the US GP or Sai vs. Ham in Hun. No strategy would have changed this outcome. But the rest...no glimpse of good. They simply have a problem with a bad strategy team and bad calls from the pit wall since years.

JPower

basti313 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 16:51
I can not see this. They screwed any possible win (Stone) or podium (Turk) last year whenever they could. There is nothing that may support they are doing worse because they are under pressure this year. Of course there were many examples last year where they were on lost position like Sai vs. Ric last year in the US GP or Sai vs. Ham in Hun. No strategy would have changed this outcome. But the rest...no glimpse of good. They simply have a problem with a bad strategy team and bad calls from the pit wall since years.
I don't see any evidence to say they were as bad in 2021. To say they screwed a win or podium everytime is laughable at best. Leclerc was not winning Silverstone.

The majority of the races, the right calls were made. That's what you would expect. At the very least, I don't think they were any worse than McLaren or Mercedes.

This year, I think they have been more indecisive. The stakes are higher, and they are going up against a Red Bull team that is confident they will make the correct call in any given situation because they have institutional knowledge of how to execute well in those situations. Red Bull can dictate the race right now and not vice versa. They made a well functioning Mercedes look dumb at times last year, so it stands to say they would do the same to Ferrari.

basti313

JPower wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 17:13
basti313 wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 16:51
I don't see any evidence to say they were as bad in 2021. To say they screwed a win or podium everytime is laughable at best. Leclerc was not winning Silverstone.

The majority of the races, the right calls were made. That's what you would expect. At the very least, I don't think they were any worse than McLaren or Mercedes.
As said, most races they were in the nowhere. But there are multiple example of bad or at least "giving up" calls:
- In Stone you can argue, but they pitted Lec without any reason. With the pace he was good to go further 5 laps easily, every lap would have made it much harder to be passed by Ham in the end.
- In Turkey they threw away the podium with simply stupid calls. Anything to argue against this?
- In Zandvoort they completely screwed the tactics. Did not undercut with Lec, then pitted Sai out of the way without any reason of Gasly.
- In US you can argue that they gave up against struggling Perez. Just go long like Ham did and attack in the end...
- And the best: In Qatar they pitted both cars much too late and were stuck behind earlier pitting Ocon and Stroll till the end.

Maybe you saw a good call? Something where they gained a position last year due to strategy?