2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

JPower wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 03:41
runningmanz wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 03:34

Interesting to see Pato though come out with these comments about Zak. Not happy.

"O’Ward revealed it was this that makes the whole contract drama between Piastri and Daniel Ricciardo “laughable”. The McLaren IndyCar driver reacted to the drama on social media as it unfolded, uploading an emoji of a popcorn box, suggesting he was watching with interest.

Speaking to ESPN, O’Ward said: “It's not good for me to have that illusion. It's a dream that's very far away, because although I'm racing at a very high level, it's still not enough to convince them.

“There are many things that come into play that are beyond me. I found it laughable. I saw it and I laughed. The same prize has been put in front of many other drivers by Brown.

“In the end, there is only one seat and not five.""

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... i-contract
Try to find those comments on ESPN. The only site that has those quotes is GPBlog.com.
Its on this espn site and even in the video you can hear him mention 'ilusión" in the interview.

https://espndeportes.espn.com/deporte-m ... en-asiento

translated

https://espndeportes-espn-com.translate ... r_pto=wapp

billamend

djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 02:42
billamend wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 02:35
djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 02:16
Some drivers drive by feel, others drive by the data, Max is another driver that operates by feel, it’s why he’s so good in the wet. No 2 drivers have the same approach, that’s just life.
Yet, Ricciardo called Max nerd by wanting to understand everything about the car?
Quote? Daniels and Max used to make jokes about each other all the time, what was the context of this comment?
Ricciardo has been impressed by Verstappen's approach for an 18-year-old following his arrival at the team in May after being promoted from Toro Rosso in favour of Daniil Kvyat.

"It's not nice getting beaten by someone young," Ricciardo told Autosport.

"I definitely see it now, he is young, but in racing terms he is very experienced.

"Racing has been his whole life, from what I understand, and although he may still have a lot to learn, for his age, he has plenty of racing experience.

"Even the way when he's in engineering briefings and talking about some details on the car, I don't even know what they are.

"He's a bit of a racing nerd, I guess!"
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... 4/5038344/

I would be embarrassed of saying this, and getting beaten by a teenager. And then, a few years later, same thing happening.

djos

billamend wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 03:56
djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 02:42
billamend wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 02:35

Yet, Ricciardo called Max nerd by wanting to understand everything about the car?
Quote? Daniels and Max used to make jokes about each other all the time, what was the context of this comment?
Ricciardo has been impressed by Verstappen's approach for an 18-year-old following his arrival at the team in May after being promoted from Toro Rosso in favour of Daniil Kvyat.

"It's not nice getting beaten by someone young," Ricciardo told Autosport.

"I definitely see it now, he is young, but in racing terms he is very experienced.

"Racing has been his whole life, from what I understand, and although he may still have a lot to learn, for his age, he has plenty of racing experience.

"Even the way when he's in engineering briefings and talking about some details on the car, I don't even know what they are.

"He's a bit of a racing nerd, I guess!"
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... 4/5038344/

I would be embarrassed of saying this, and getting beaten by a teenager. And then, a few years later, same thing happening.
He was clearly praising him and saying that Max has pushed him to be a better driver.

And yet at that stage he had beaten Max 7-1 in qualifying and they were within 5 points of each other. And by the end of the year Daniel still came out on top points wise by 52 points! The following year he beat him by 38 points.

I don’t think this article is making the point you’d like it to!
"In downforce we trust"

JPower

runningmanz wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 03:50

Its on this espn site and even in the video you can hear him mention 'ilusión" in the interview.

translated

I didn't see those quotes in the article you posted. Maybe I missed something. Didn't sound like he was mad about anything.

runningmanz

JPower wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:27
runningmanz wrote:

translated

I didn't see those quotes in the article you posted. Maybe I missed something. Didn't sound like he was mad about anything.
Hard to say if he was mad not knowing Mexican language but it certainly comes off as being disappointed at the carrot of F1 being dangled and it seemingly being an illusion. He can't be happy with McLaren that Piastri has swooped in after clearly stating previously F1 was his dream and he was watching Dan's seat closely and hoping to get it if the opportunity arose.
Last edited by runningmanz on 13 Aug 2022, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect

djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 01:54
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 16:34
I think the perception of the McLaren car's behaviour is being exaggerated or misrepresented by a lot of people. At the end of the day, it's about extracting performance, which on driver is doing better than the other. We don't hear folks labelling the Red Bull difficult to drive, even though Gasly flopped in it, went back to STR and got a podium. Albon got smashed by Max, took a year out and looks the bees knees in a less capable car. Lando complains but gets performance, Carlos complained, got performance. Daniel gets performance every now and then, but the inconsistency is the issue. The points difference is an issue, the gap to Lando is an issue. You'd expect a driver of his experience to adapt and get something consistent out of the car, even if he's not as quick as Lando.
3 drivers, Carlos, Lando and Daniel have all described the McLaren cars as being “unusual” to drive to put it kindly.

The Mclaren is unpredictable and inconsistent in its feedback, I don’t think those are desirable traits when you are trying to drive on the edge of adhesion!
Agreed, the McLaren is difficult to drive, the issue is 2 out of those 3 drivers still managed to get consistent performance from the car. Lando, even as a rookie was never a million miles away from Carlos. Daniel, I'd expect by now to understand the traits of the McLaren and be more consistent. How bad can the McLaren possibly be? We've seen Daniel go fast in the McLaren, but he's just not consistent enough. I don't think the traits of the car change every other GP.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect

runningmanz wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:43
JPower wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

translated

Hard to say if he was mad not knowing Mexican language but it certainly comes off as being disappointed at the carrot of F1 being dangled and it seemingly being an illusion. He can't be happy with McLaren that Piastri has swooped in after clearly stating previously F1 was his dream and he was watching Dan's seat closely and hoping to get it if the opportunity arose.
Does he have enough points on his license now for F1?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:44
djos wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 16:34
I think the perception of the McLaren car's behaviour is being exaggerated or misrepresented by a lot of people. At the end of the day, it's about extracting performance, which on driver is doing better than the other. We don't hear folks labelling the Red Bull difficult to drive, even though Gasly flopped in it, went back to STR and got a podium. Albon got smashed by Max, took a year out and looks the bees knees in a less capable car. Lando complains but gets performance, Carlos complained, got performance. Daniel gets performance every now and then, but the inconsistency is the issue. The points difference is an issue, the gap to Lando is an issue. You'd expect a driver of his experience to adapt and get something consistent out of the car, even if he's not as quick as Lando.
3 drivers, Carlos, Lando and Daniel have all described the McLaren cars as being “unusual” to drive to put it kindly.

The Mclaren is unpredictable and inconsistent in its feedback, I don’t think those are desirable traits when you are trying to drive on the edge of adhesion!
Agreed, the McLaren is difficult to drive, the issue is 2 out of those 3 drivers still managed to get consistent performance from the car. Lando, even as a rookie was never a million miles away from Carlos. Daniel, I'd expect by now to understand the traits of the McLaren and be more consistent. How bad can the McLaren possibly be? We've seen Daniel go fast in the McLaren, but he's just not consistent enough. I don't think the traits of the car change every other GP.
Daniels comments suggest that even corner to corner, and lap to lap the car responds differently.

Honestly it’s impressive that Lando has been able to get what he does from the car.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:45
runningmanz wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:43
JPower wrote:

Does he have enough points on his license now for F1?
Not sure according to this it was 41 earlier but don't know currently. Also there is some FIA special dispensation available but would need to check into the details.

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1FeederSeries ... _estimate/

Ben1980

I like Pato, from watching the indy racing. But he doesn't have a super licence yet does he?

So while he may have an f1 seat as an incentive, he's nowhere near getting one. Sane with Herta, I think.

But Palou does...

Ben1980

djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:47
Ground Effect wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 04:44
djos wrote:

Daniels comments suggest that even corner to corner, and lap to lap the car responds differently.

Honestly it’s impressive that Lando has been able to get what he does from the car.
The car is 4th/5th best depending on track. At some tracks over a lap it's a bit quicker then the 3rd best car. Lando is getting out of the car what he should be getting.

Main reason for that is because the car is not a bad car.

Just because you think it has fundamental issues doesn't mean that's the case.

The results and performances tell you where tge car is at. If it had fundamental issues it wouldn't be popped in top 6 of qualifying recently.

Open your eyes and change your tune, because this tune stinks.

djos

So 3 F1 drivers say the Mclaren cars have undesirable traits and you tell me my tune stinks, sorry mate but that is a massive logic fail right there! 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

Ben1980

djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 09:04
So 3 F1 drivers say the Mclaren cars have undesirable traits and you tell me my tune stinks, sorry mate but that is a massive logic fail right there! 🤦‍♂️
In fact your tune isn't in tune.

Your argument makes little sense. Cars can be difficult to drive, Lewis Hamilton has said it about Merc, Max Verstappen has said it more then once on the team radio this year. Seb has said the AM was a handful, over recent years the ferrari was called difficult to drive and this year sainz has said the same. Albon said the Williams is harder to drive.

F1 cars are hard to drive. But, all your claims are pointless, because the car is good enough for 5th and 4th in recent qualifying.

The car is fine.

MrGapes

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2022/

don't know if this was posted, but nice read.

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 09:25
djos wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 09:04
In fact your tune isn't in tune.

Your argument makes little sense. Cars can be difficult to drive, Lewis Hamilton has said it about Merc, Max Verstappen has said it more then once on the team radio this year. Seb has said the AM was a handful, over recent years the ferrari was called difficult to drive and this year sainz has said the same. Albon said the Williams is harder to drive.

F1 cars are hard to drive. But, all your claims are pointless, because the car is good enough for 5th and 4th in recent qualifying.

The car is fine.
I’ll take the word of actual F1 drivers over an armchair expert, thanks!

A lot of effort goes into making F1 cars more driveable because that makes them faster, if you don’t get this, then I’m not sure why You are here on a technical F1 forum!
"In downforce we trust"