Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
wogx

Re: Formula E

Official livery of Envision Racing

Okay, that's a motorboat with wheels, not an aircraft carrier :lol:
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Zynerji

I love parts of this car, and abhor other parts.

I could imagine that front wing made like the F1 rear wing with the continuous surface treatment, but from the cockpit rearward, I can't find anything else worth keeping! 🤣🤣

Edit: maybe the high and tight sidepod openings....

Maybe ditch the battery, and run a propane turbo-jet with MGUH driving the electric motors. Save weight, add sound, and slim the car!

wogx

Smaller, lighter, faster vehicles - a good direction not only for FE =D>
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Sevach

Looks worst than the current car in my opinion, but i can't argue with more power less weight.
Also the fact that they got smaller should good for the types of tracks F-E tends to run.

Jolle

Looks like a big diffuser but (again) no real over the car downforce. As long as they stick to rock hard tires, Mario rules and tracks that are more suitable for kart races, it’s all a marketing gimmick for me.

Scorpaguy

The Gen3 car will be lighter...maximum power output of 350kW, capable of a top speed of over 320kph (200mph).

It will feature two powertrains – one at the front and rear – which will more than double the regenerative potential of the car compared to the current model.
This is slowly getting closer to the concept they should have started with. Lose the F1 wannabe style so they are not so fragile....maybe a cross between TA and WRC. Add torque vectoring. Then let them beat, bang, and recharge around the city street confines they inhabit.

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:22
MattWellsyWells wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:05
So is the front powertrain only used for regen and not drive?
Yes, no idea why.
Seems rather silly.
Wouldn't some mechanical linkage to the back make sense, since they don't drive the front?
jjn9128 wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 21:38
Also (embarrassingly) lighter than the 2022 F1 car.
Yeah, F1 is getting rather silly with proportions and mass....

Sevach

mzso wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 22:41
jjn9128 wrote:
MattWellsyWells wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:05
So is the front powertrain only used for regen and not drive?
Yes, no idea why.
Seems rather silly.
Wouldn't some mechanical linkage to the back make sense, since they don't drive the front?
Apparently by having front regen (but no power) they can lose some of the battery.
If they had the front powering the wheels they would probably need even more battery and the car would be heavier.
The way they are doing it they can brag about "more power +better autonomy -weight".

The front motors only need to feed the battery in the end.

mzso

Sevach wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 23:00
mzso wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 22:41
jjn9128 wrote:

Yes, no idea why.
Seems rather silly.
Apparently by having front regen (but no power) they can lose some of the battery.
If they had the front powering the wheels they would probably need even more battery and the car would be heavier.
The way they are doing it they can brag about "more power +better autonomy -weight".

The front motors only need to feed the battery in the end.
They wouldn't need more batteries, since they have a powet cap, 4WD would allow to use it better even. So probably slightly even less battery/weight.

Scorpaguy

Since the very beginning, people have questioned AA why no AWD. AA always seemed a bit perturbed by the inquiry and always stated FE was about innovation and AWD is "passe". Still, I think the current formula needs AWD, AWS, torque vectoring, and a body style that supports a bit of wheel-to-wheel, bumping and banging for the tight courses they operate upon.

Wouter

SEOUL, KOREA

🍾 🥳 STOFFEL VANDOORNE THE 2021-22 FORMULA E

WORLD CHAMPION! 🍾 🥳

🍾 🥳 🍾 🥳🍾 🥳 🍾 🥳🍾 🥳 🍾 🥳

Image... Image
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

You forgot to congratulate Mercedes - he was driving for them and they won the constructor title. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 13:59

You forgot to congratulate Mercedes - he was driving for them and they won the constructor title. =D>
Instead of criticizing me, you could have congratulated Mercedes yourself with some nice pictures and text.

I'm waiting, can't wait to see what you'll post. Thanks in advance. 👍
The Power of Dreams!

coaster

Can we please have a cfd guru take a screenshot of a simulation on the wedge style of aero upper body?
Looks ripe for a serious redesign.

jjn9128

coaster wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 13:21
Can we please have a cfd guru take a screenshot of a simulation on the wedge style of aero upper body?
Looks ripe for a serious redesign.
I wouldn't like to subject my PC to that :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica