McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL36

Soymotor:
As we can see from the images, McLaren has greatly increased the size of the front brake cooling inlets , given the high temperatures of this track and the few straights in Budapest. We can compare their size with the version implemented in Paul Ricard, where we see how an asymmetrical solution was chosen for this piece, with the right part larger than the left, with almost no cooling input, except for what is referred to to the vertical vane that careens the wheel in the middle. Obviously, in France such a radical solution was chosen given the different number of left and right corners on the track.

Not so sure about this though...

SmallSoldier

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 12:43
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FY1SGm1XkAQ ... ame=medium

What has changed in the front to warrant the aero strakes ?
They modified the exit of the front brake ducts which interacts directly with the floor entrance and the frontal area of the sidepods… Maybe trying to make the initial solution for this year work as intended (after the issues in Bahrain, they probably scrapped some “ingenious” management of the flow to ensure brake cooling and potentially they are trying it again (this is me just speculating though).

SmallSoldier

I love the car shots on a wet track… This one showing the vortex generated by the most outward floor fence / strake.

GrizzleBoy

It's great how the sideways wake is almost completely eradicated in these new regs.

It's also interesting to me how the wake from the venturi tunnel exits go almost straight upwards whener we get to see them during wet running.

AR3-GP

GrizzleBoy wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 18:18
It's great how the sideways wake is almost completely eradicated in these new regs.

It's also interesting to me how the wake from the venturi tunnel exits go almost straight upwards whener we get to see them during wet running.

That's by design

Maax70

One small difference since last week ? no more steel bracing at the tip pf the floor

Maax70

Another one: since start of the season the inlet floor vanes stick out more now.
Who knows, upgrades introduced in France may include something more we cannot see from the top.

mclaren111

Maax70 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 00:03
Another one: since start of the season the inlet floor vanes stick out more now.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/522 ... a3cd_m.jpg
Who knows, upgrades introduced in France may include something more we cannot see from the top.

This was part of the Barcelona upgrade... Page 109 of this thread...

SmallSoldier

The cars running on the wet always create very interesting pictures that help us understand or visualize a bit what the aero of the car is doing (of course within limits and considering the nature of water vs air)… Looking at the pictures of the MCL36 running on the wet, I noticed something that caught my attention.

Let’s look at the vortex created by the floor in front of the rear tires… The original sidepod design of the MCL36 seems to have that vortex spilling on to the top of the exposed portion of the floor:

When looking at the latest version of the sidepods, the vortex seems to appear to interact with it and push it outwards, even looking like if it go upwards also:

Initially I thought that it could just be the lighting that made it look that way, but @Blackout help me find the following pictures, from a different angle that may corroborate that initial hypothesis:

Latest Sidepod Version:

Something interesting is going on, not sure yet exactly what… Hopefully someone has any good ideas?

_cerber1

It is possible that they create a vortex in front of the rear wheel to reduce its windage, which should have a positive effect on drag.

SmallSoldier

MCL36 front wing attachment points in the nosecone (from Spa):

Via: Albert Fabrega

SmallSoldier

All components introduced by McLaren before the SPA:

organic

A/Bing standard vs spooned RW in Fp1

Macklaren

Even spoon wing looks MUCH bigger than others, esp. Alpine. Counting on rain?

SmallSoldier

Interesting new rear wing for McLaren, the shape of the the DRS flap is unique… Hopefully it performs as expected!