All kinds of news about F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: All kinds of news about F1.

Yesssss, every weekend some kind of sprint races! :roll:
F1 needs less practice, more points-paying sessions at race weekends – Domenicali

2022 F1 season Posted on 24th August 2022, 22:00 | Written by Keith Collantine and Claire Cottingham

Formula 1 could reduce the number of practice sessions it holds during a race weekend from three to one if the CEO Stefano Domenicali’s new proposal wins backing.

Domenicali told media including RaceFans he plans a “very aggressive” push to cut the amount of practice which takes place during grand prix weekends and hold more sessions which award points or other prizes.

“I think to see from a fan perspective that every day there is something to fight for on the track is very important,” he said.

“I mean, free practice is very interesting for the engineers or for the drivers. But at the end of the day, in sport, you need to fight for something.

“There are already limitations on the calendar to have free practice out[side] of the racing weekend.

So I will be very aggressive to have ONE free practice in the morning on Friday and then every time we go on the track, something to be awarded. #-o :evil:

“Because in that respect, there is some action going on, people are always connected to understand what is happening. So this will be my input for the discussion on the future. Every time we will be on the track – with the respect of the race on Sunday, that has to be always the most important part of it – there should be something to fight for in terms of points, in terms of awards. That’s my opinion.”
https://www.racefans.net/2022/08/24/dom ... f1-events/
The Power of Dreams!

Spacepace

Wouter wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 14:40
F1 needs less practice, more points-paying sessions at race weekends – Domenicali

2022 F1 season Posted on 24th August 2022, 22:00 | Written by Keith Collantine and Claire Cottingham

Formula 1 could reduce the number of practice sessions it holds during a race weekend from three to one if the CEO Stefano Domenicali’s new proposal wins backing.

Domenicali told media including RaceFans he plans a “very aggressive” push to cut the amount of practice which takes place during grand prix weekends and hold more sessions which award points or other prizes.

“I think to see from a fan perspective that every day there is something to fight for on the track is very important,” he said.

“I mean, free practice is very interesting for the engineers or for the drivers. But at the end of the day, in sport, you need to fight for something.

“There are already limitations on the calendar to have free practice out[side] of the racing weekend.

So I will be very aggressive to have ONE free practice in the morning on Friday and then every time we go on the track, something to be awarded. #-o :evil:

“Because in that respect, there is some action going on, people are always connected to understand what is happening. So this will be my input for the discussion on the future. Every time we will be on the track – with the respect of the race on Sunday, that has to be always the most important part of it – there should be something to fight for in terms of points, in terms of awards. That’s my opinion.”
I'll just wipe my hands of the sport at that point. I'm sick of FOM catering this sport to casuals

Big Tea

I hope we remember this next time we call for change at the top. I thought it was going to be a good move.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 14:40

If they want to have things happening on track, add more support races. Or have the F1 cars race for points from a reverse grid based on the driver standings. Then pole on Sunday is decided by proper qualifying on Sunday morning.

The sprint format is a con-job. If they want to be innovative and "exciting", mix it all up. Currently the sprint race is just a mini-GP and thus pointless.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gshevlin

In the Chase Carey era, public negotiation was frowned upon, which was an interesting cultural change, since in the Bernie days everybody, including Bernie himself, used to engage in public posturing as part of negotiations.
Now we have Stefano Domenicali as CEO of Liberty, it seems that public negotiation is back with a vengeance. In the last 3 weeks we have had to listen to Toto Wolff and Fred Vasseur both giving a public "No" to Andretti's F1 entry, followed by Christian Horner actually proposing a return to customer cars with Andretti being a B team that cannot gain manufacturer points. (I don't know how he managed to propose that with a straight face).
Now we have Domenicali himself making it clear that he wants new auto manufacturers, and Andretti's bid is DOA unless they buy an existing team.
All of this is dangerous nonsense. The tail is wagging the Liberty dog, and Domenicali already looks like a tool of the engine manufacturers.

chrisc90

Wouter

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 08:01
The Power of Dreams!

aran.vtec

Wouter

Brawn: F1 should be "cautious" on changing sprint format

Formula 1's managing director Ross Brawn says the sport should be "cautious" about changing the sprint format that he believes has proved to be a success.

"We're looking at if there's any evolutions in the format to be considered for next year. But we've got a fantastic foundation already. :roll:

"So we'd be very cautious about changing things. And certainly, I don't think we should move to a dramatically different format.
But as I say, the existing format works very well. So we should be cautious not to move."

Brawn is set to retire at the end of the season and maintain an advisory role with the F1 organisation. He hopes to remain involved in planning the sprints.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/braw ... /10399202/
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

That means a gap of 4 weeks, just at the beginning of the saison.

The Power of Dreams!

InsaneX_Badger

If I could do whatever I wanted I would move AUS into China's slot and then put Qatar after Saudi. Then I would see if we could put Sepang back on the calendar in place of the old Qatar slot. But wouldn't happen obvs for a million reasons but it's nice to dream 😂

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 13:12
If I could do whatever I wanted I would move AUS into China's slot and then put Qatar after Saudi. Then I would see if we could put Sepang back on the calendar in place of the old Qatar slot. But wouldn't happen obvs for a million reasons but it's nice to dream 😂
Sepang would slot into the vacated China slot perfectly. The teams and kit more or less have to go right past Sepang on the way to Azerbaijan. As soon as I saw China was cancelled I hoped Sepang would be brought back. Unfortunately I don't think it will, probably just have 1 less race in 2023.

tpe
tpe

The current schedule is the definition of torture and waste of resources and money...

Wouter

Portugal and Turkey in talks with F1 to replace China

According to Ni Amorim, the president of FPAK, there are several candidates to fill the empty spot [China]. "Portugal is not the only country interested, because Turkey is also in the running," Amorim said. For Turkey, Istanbul Park is most likely in the picture to organize a race.

It is still far from certain that F1 will travel to Portimao in 2023 for the Portuguese GP. That largely depends on financial support that the government has to provide. FPAK and the government are already discussing this, says Amorim, but a decision has not yet been taken. "It depends on whether money comes from Portugal to organize the GP. The fee is high, but the returns justify the investment," says Amorim, who also indicates that there has not yet been any discussion about what should be transferred to F1 to organize the race. "I don't know how much money they are asking because this stage of the talks has not yet been reached."

https://nl.motorsport.com/f1/news/portu ... /10407806/
The Power of Dreams!

johnny comelately