2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 12:01
I'd hardly call it greedy, Porsche is an iconic brand, they were going to put a lot of money into this venture so why wouldn't they want to be a "full" partner.

I can also see it from Red Bulls prospective though though, I think it's a real pity this has fallen through, F1 needs brands like this in the sport
I’m of the same opinion!

F1 right now needs new engine manufacturers since Honda decided to pull out right when it started looking interesting! And probably 2 VW group manufacturers like Audi and Porsche, who both have huge racing heritage, deciding to come in is a monumental chance for F1 to grow ever bigger!

Yet there are people saying “we need Red Bull (or even Andretti) more than either Porsche or Audi”!! Can’t really understand their point of view! Red Bull as a team in Milton Keynes will always exist even if Porsche decided one day to pull out! Same thing happened with Sauber and BMW and even with Honda and BAR!

Apparently Red Bull’s problem was who's going to make the decisions! Maybe Porsche should have backed down a bit on this but still…you’ve got Porsche knocking on your door to partner…it’s a huge manufacturer and huge chance…just go ahead! I find Horner and Marko’s comments to today's announcement quite a bit arrogant as always!

Wanna see their faces when this decision backfires on them and the 2026 engine ends up slow!what happens if Mateschitz’s successor decides not to pour so much money into the racing division of Red Bull? Also, Horner, Marko and even Newey won’t be there forever! Porsche would have future-proofed the team for the medium term at least I think…

Anyway, such a pity this partnership fell through! Would have made F1 2026 so much more exciting…

P.S. (off topic) Any ideas who Porsche can partner with now? Williams maybe? And I can’t understand why they’re saying they haven’t got an engine division to build an engine from scratch? Where were they developing the Lemans engines all those years??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Sofa King
Sofa King

Checo can eat all the pasta he wants this weekend with the floor RB have given him

Curbstone
Curbstone

Imo "Just go ahead" shows a lack of a clear long term vision and strategy. It shows you are willing to take a risk and see were it ends up. This is something you do when you either have no choice, or when the exact outcome doesn't really matter.
I am glad Red Bull decided against a 50/50 partnership with Porsche. It means Red Bull want to keep their identity, and stability.

How can you say a partnership would have made 2026 more exciting, just because of the name Porsche.? There is no way telling how their performance wil be. It could end up like the new Renault.

Quantum

AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 15:11
P.S. (off topic) Any ideas who Porsche can partner with now? Williams maybe? And I can’t understand why they’re saying they haven’t got an engine division to build an engine from scratch? Where were they developing the Lemans engines all those years??
An outright purchase of Alpha Tauri?
"Interplay of triads"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sofa King wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 15:27
Checo can eat all the pasta he wants this weekend with the floor RB have given him
What are you referring to? For what it's worth, he did not have DRS in FP1.

Gillian
Gillian

Quantum wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 16:17
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Or Alpha Tauri Porsche? RB could then see what Porsche comes up with and if it's any good. Use any information for their own engine or even partner up later when Porsche has proven itself. There's precedence sort of... Would be win-win for RB.

AMG.Tzan

Gillian wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 16:22
Quantum wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Or Alpha Tauri Porsche? RB could then see what Porsche comes up with and if it's any good. Use any information for their own engine or even partner up later when Porsche has proven itself. There's precedence sort of... Would be win-win for RB.
Thought of it, but what about the engine facilities? Where are Porsche going to make their engines since rumors say they don’t have facilities to build and f1 engine! Although I don’t believe such thing…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Gillian
Gillian

AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 16:38
Gillian wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 16:22
Quantum wrote:

Thought of it, but what about the engine facilities? Where are Porsche going to make their engines since rumors say they don’t have facilities to build and f1 engine! Although I don’t believe such thing…
Yeah not sure what to think about that either...

Sofa King
Sofa King

My understanding is that Checo is using a newer floor compared to Max (from Spa), which is performing worse compared to the older floor. This explains some of the recent performance gap and won’t be rectified until Singapore due to cost cap/production issues.
AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 16:20
Sofa King wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 15:27
What are you referring to? For what it's worth, he did not have DRS in FP1.

Curbstone
Curbstone

The 'new' floor has been used since silverstone, Max didn't like it and it lacked performance. The floor is now used by Checco to see if they can get the floor to work, and because they don't have another old spec floor and building a new 'old' spec floor doesn't fit within the budget cap. The new floor is slighly slower ( 1 tenth or so).
This was all confirmed by Red Bull.

HPD

Marko also confirmed that Red Bull is in conversation with Honda, who has hinted that it could return to F1 in 2026 after exiting at the end of last year.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/09/ ... che-talks/

vorticism

Well probably not the worst place for them to be in. Their recent success combined with two major automakers vying for a tie-in.

Was it simply that Honda made a better offer?

Some here say that Porsche would have/could have provided engines and other parts, others say that Porsche was interested only in a marketing/branding buy in. Where is the truth in all this?
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 20:56
Well probably not the worst place for them to be in. Their recent success combined with two major automakers vying for a tie-in.

Some here say that Porsche would have/could have provided engines and other parts, others say that Porsche was interested only in a marketing/branding buy in. Where is the truth in all this?
Porsche wanted to buy 50% of the team. RB is not for sale.

vorticism

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 21:17
vorticism wrote:

Thanks. So then, what might this tell us about Honda? They do or do not want to buy a portion of the team. Or want to be an engine supplier.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 21:20
AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 21:17
vorticism wrote:

Thanks. So then, what might this tell us about Honda? They do or do not want to buy a portion of the team. Or want to be an engine supplier.
Honda have said many things at various times

1) We are not interested in 2026 F1: https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/115934/h ... rning.html
2) We will only come back on the condition that we are more than an engine supplier.

along with the following deal breaker: RBPT has it's own engineers and technology. Horner has said the train has left the station. RB are no doubt thankful for Honda but it's just business. It was business when Honda decided to pull the plug, and it's just business if RB don't open the door to being open to Honda's whims and fancies about F1 participation in the long run.