2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I think this was probably the best result we could have gotten today. They took a chance with that first box under the VSC, and honestly I don't think it would have made a difference either way. Max just had better pace and slightly better tyre deg. If they kept Charles out, max would have passed him shortly, pulled just out of DRS and then just copy Leclerc's strategy for the rest of the race. Charles pits, Max pits the lap after. It was a no win situation, but at least they took a chance and didn't mess it up.

Max and RB have been near flawless all season. Their car, their strategy, their setups, their races. As much as I would have loved to have seen a more competitive race/season, I am not sure Leclerc would have won this year. But I am thankful we have built a fast car, we have great drivers, We've found our pace again, and hopefully we can keep getting better. Let's get a few more wins this season, and bring it better next year!

Xyz22
Xyz22

codetower wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 18:29
I think this was probably the best result we could have gotten today. They took a chance with that first box under the VSC, and honestly I don't think it would have made a difference either way. Max just had better pace and slightly better tyre deg. If they kept Charles out, max would have passed him shortly, pulled just out of DRS and then just copy Leclerc's strategy for the rest of the race. Charles pits, Max pits the lap after. It was a no win situation, but at least they took a chance and didn't mess it up.

Max and RB have been near flawless all season. Their car, their strategy, their setups, their races. As much as I would have loved to have seen a more competitive race/season, I am not sure Leclerc would have won this year. But I am thankful we have built a fast car, we have great drivers, We've found our pace again, and hopefully we can keep getting better. Let's get a few more wins this season, and bring it better next year!
Pace was not very good.

Scorpaguy

Bino had a great strategy to finish second, seems they have no fight left in them IMHO.

codetower

Xyz22 wrote:
codetower wrote:

Pace was not very good.
Pace was good. Just not as good as Max's. Towards the end of the race, with an extra stop, Leclerc was almost 16 seconds clear of Russel. Sainz with basically the same strategy (M-S one stop in) was almost 26 seconds clear of Hamilton. Pace was not bad at all at a track where on paper at least they are not supposed to be very good.

JPower
JPower

Scorpaguy wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 18:33
Bino had a great strategy to finish second, seems they have no fight left in them IMHO.
There was no strategy to finish first. They did what needed to be done.

Xyz22
Xyz22

codetower wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 18:48
Xyz22 wrote:
codetower wrote:

Pace was not very good.
Pace was good. Just not as good as Max's. Towards the end of the race, with an extra stop, Leclerc was almost 16 seconds clear of Russel. Sainz with basically the same strategy (M-S one stop in) was almost 26 seconds clear of Hamilton. Pace was not bad at all at a track where on paper at least they are not supposed to be very good.
Not being able to compete for the win = not good

This season will end with less wins than 2017 and 2018. The same issues again and again.

A disaster.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

so basically FIA come up with rule to help RB to win till 2026 next rule change and Max will be 5 time WDC winner. They said they want other team to challenge and gap should be minimized but still one team is dominating. It is not good for sport.

Vanja #66

These are the best results when FIA did another mid season rule change on Merc request to hurt Ferrari in 4 years. Without it, Ferrari could have taken 2-3 more wins after summer break. Right now, doesn't look like RB will lose any of the following races. It's a joke, to have the rules changes to your favour when you already bagged both titles
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 19:23
These are the best results when FIA did another mid season rule change on Merc request to hurt Ferrari in 4 years. Without it, Ferrari could have taken 2-3 more wins after summer break. Right now, doesn't look like RB will lose any of the following races. It's a joke, to have the rules changes to your favour when you already bagged both titles
I disagree with that assessment. Until Ferrari come out and say they were hurt from it, then we cannot conclude. As someone mentioned, the pace they had was still supreme.
The RB18 was the best race car from the start of the season. It was clear to me watching how it moves on track. They in fact were the ones making errors with setup and maybe some reliability issues. But suspect they have simply setup the car in the sweet spot along with the refinement upgrades to the body and floor.

But as you say rule changes, it started long before this season. It has been a perfect storm to suit Newey and Redbull. Starting with the floor cut out from 2021.
For Sure!!

Xyz22
Xyz22

ringo wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 19:33
Vanja #66 wrote:
I disagree with that assessment. Until Ferrari come out and say they were hurt from it, then we cannot conclude. As someone mentioned, the pace they had was still supreme.
The RB18 was the best race car from the start of the season. It was clear to me watching how it moves on track. They in fact were the ones making errors with setup and maybe some reliability issues. But suspect they have simply setup the car in the sweet spot along with the refinement upgrades to the body and floor.

But as you say rule changes, it started long before this season. It has been a perfect storm to suit Newey and Redbull. Starting with the floor cut out from 2021.
They will never say they were impacted by the TD.

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
I wonder, if the FIA has been convinced or programmed into believing things like Max being the golden boy who should be the chosen one of the next years, bringing most money and marketing advantages.

I’m starting to ask myself such things when thinking of the farce in the last race last season and also when looking at how the season unfolds.

In the F1-75 thread you said that the TD and upcoming rule changes hit/will hit Ferrari’s concept hard whereas it will basically not affect RBR at all.
Ferrari’s concept is a great execution of the ground-effect rules whereas RBR’s concept is not really following the spirit of ground-effect rules, but the diffuser instead.

Bringing rule changes in the middle of the season, but also for the following season and penalizing extremely clever solutions by outstanding engineers is just a scandal in my eyes.

f1316
f1316

Xyz22 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:50
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:41
Schippke wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:31
A solid result, given the starting positions; With that pace of the Red Bull, there wasn't much else they could do. Hope they can do something special in Singapore, but I'm just hoping for at least a couple of Wins between now and the end of the season from Ferrari.
Yes. i just want 2-3 good wins for Charles and then buil d something for next year. N yes fire that strategy team ffs.
This car won't win any race in normal conditions.
I think the difference in Singapore could be that quali is more important - we’ve seen before at that track that if you’re leading you can run super slow to look after tyres - so that could play to Ferrari’s strengths.

The bottom line though is that they need to focus 100% on 2023 and if they get a win or two, great, but the season’s long since over from a competitive standpoint (and losing 2nd to Mercedes is arguably a good thing).

It was said in commentary but I am reminded of the Schumacher era by Max and Red Bull - this season for Ferrari seems a bit like McLaren’s 2001 campaign. Both Ferrari drivers are often faster than the 2nd RB car - so it’s not as if the car itself is a rocket ship anyway can win in - but the package is perfect for Max and so they can make anything work:

Xyz22
Xyz22

f1316 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:05
Xyz22 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:50
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:41

Yes. i just want 2-3 good wins for Charles and then buil d something for next year. N yes fire that strategy team ffs.
This car won't win any race in normal conditions.
I think the difference in Singapore could be that quali is more important - we’ve seen before at that track that if you’re leading you can run super slow to look after tyres - so that could play to Ferrari’s strengths.

The bottom line though is that they need to focus 100% on 2023 and if they get a win or two, great, but the season’s long since over from a competitive standpoint (and losing 2nd to Mercedes is arguably a good thing).

It was said in commentary but I am reminded of the Schumacher era by Max and Red Bull - this season for Ferrari seems a bit like McLaren’s 2001 campaign. Both Ferrari drivers are often faster than the 2nd RB car - so it’s not as if the car itself is a rocket ship anyway can win in - but the package is perfect for Max and so they can make anything work:
Perez has been awful in the last 5-6 races. The RB is absolutely dominant at the moment.

The difference between the RB18 and F1 75 is similar to the difference between the W11 and RB16 in 2020 mid season (in race trim)

tpe
tpe

I will wait until someone posts the actual lap times. I keep forgetting to bookmark the site that has them.
Anyway, it didn't look terrible on the TV. But obviously the tire degradation was still there and was not solved.

Xyz22
Xyz22

tpe wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:15
I will wait until someone posts the actual lap times. I keep forgetting to bookmark the site that has them.
Anyway, it didn't look terrible on the TV. But obviously the tire degradation was still there and was not solved.
Ferrari was awful with mediums tyres. I can tell you already that Sainz was losing around 1s per lap in free air in the first stint compared to Max.

Embarrassing difference.