2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

tpe wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:15
I will wait until someone posts the actual lap times. I keep forgetting to bookmark the site that has them.
Anyway, it didn't look terrible on the TV. But obviously the tire degradation was still there and was not solved.
https://www.f1-tempo.com/

https://fiaresultsandstatistics.motorsp ... grand-prix

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2022/gp/s9047/results

Couple there for you.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The tire degradation on the Ferrari wasn't bad. Sainz and Leclerc's laptime's were quite consistent through the stint and neither driver reported balance issues, wear, or graining during the stint. the issue is they were simply slower.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:25
The tire degradation on the Ferrari wasn't bad. Sainz and Leclerc's laptime's were quite consistent through the stint and neither driver reported balance issues, wear, or graining during the stint. the issue is they were simply slower.
Tyres looked good. I think the key thing/"mistake" was pitting a little too early for the mediums with charles, which effectively forced their strategy with the 2 stopper. You can see on the lap times of charles vs Max, that after Max pitted for his fresh medium, Charles tyres looked to drop off a little bit with Max around 1/2 second to 3/4 faster than Charles. So Ferrari pulled Charles in to change to softs, where charles was then roughly 1/4 second faster than Max, but by that point, and the extra pitstop, meant Charles was always stuck behind as he never had enough pace to pull off a 2 stopper vs a 1 stop.

codetower

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:30
AR3-GP wrote:
Tyres looked good. I think the key thing/"mistake" was pitting a little too early for the mediums with charles, which effectively forced their strategy with the 2 stopper. You can see on the lap times of charles vs Max, that after Max pitted for his fresh medium, Charles tyres looked to drop off a little bit with Max around 1/2 second to 3/4 faster than Charles. So Ferrari pulled Charles in to change to softs, where charles was then roughly 1/4 second faster than Max, but by that point, and the extra pitstop, meant Charles was always stuck behind as he never had enough pace to pull off a 2 stopper vs a 1 stop.

https://i.ibb.co/4Nxp4k1/tyres.jpg
I don’t think Ferrari anticipated the virtual safety car and so quickly. That kind of threw the whole risk into the wind. The VSC ended as Charles was coming out of the pit. I think they anticipated a few laps under the yellow. If this would have been the case, they might have been able to go the rest of the race on mediums

JPower
JPower

tpe wrote:
I will wait until someone posts the actual lap times. I keep forgetting to bookmark the site that has them.
Anyway, it didn't look terrible on the TV. But obviously the tire degradation was still there and was not solved.
Tire deg was better than expected to me for both cars.

We'll see if that holds.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

codetower wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:56
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I don’t think Ferrari anticipated the virtual safety car and so quickly. That kind of threw the whole risk into the wind. The VSC ended as Charles was coming out of the pit. I think they anticipated a few laps under the yellow. If this would have been the case, they might have been able to go the rest of the race on mediums
Vettel parked in front of a break in the barrier. There's no way it was going to be a multi-lap affair.

tpe
tpe

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:21
tpe wrote:
https://www.f1-tempo.com/

https://fiaresultsandstatistics.motorsp ... grand-prix

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2022/gp/s9047/results

Couple there for you.
Thanks!

tpe
tpe

I stand corrected.
Also, its clear that MV and CL had similar pace.
The extra pit stop was the decisive factor. But I also know that if they hadn't take it everyone would cry foul.

Scorpaguy

JPower wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 18:51
Scorpaguy wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 18:33
Bino had a great strategy to finish second, seems they have no fight left in them IMHO.
There was no strategy to finish first. They did what needed to be done.
I certainly agree with your first sentence...and feel it seems to sum up Bino's reign as TP. While cracking quali has been achieved (with spades), race pace seems elusive to them. Or it is entirely possible that the Max/Newey combo is just too strong. Still, I think the Tifosi of world would better served with a bit of emotion ala Arri rather than the current capitulation to second mentality. HOWEVER, much better this year than last.

Vanja #66

LM10 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:00
In the F1-75 thread you said that the TD and upcoming rule changes hit/will hit Ferrari’s concept hard whereas it will basically not affect RBR at all.
Ferrari’s concept is a great execution of the ground-effect rules whereas RBR’s concept is not really following the spirit of ground-effect rules, but the diffuser instead.

Bringing rule changes in the middle of the season, but also for the following season and penalizing extremely clever solutions by outstanding engineers is just a scandal in my eyes.
Welcome to F1... It's been like that since 1950.

PS Regarding RB design, it's not breaking any actual spirit of regulation (as I said "in a way, it's against"), but it's definitely working in a different way

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 21:35
Vettel parked in front of a break in the barrier. There's no way it was going to be a multi-lap affair.
Clearly, as all recent FIA in-race decisions make perfect sense :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

tpe wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 21:49
I stand corrected.
The extra pit stop was the decisive factor. But I also know that if they hadn't take it everyone would cry foul.
I think in the first stint you could see Max was closing in - slowly, steadily but definitely. It was down to about 1.5 secs at the VSC. I think they thought - and was probably likely - that Max was managing his tyres better and would be in DRS range shortly. Do they pass up a quick pitstop, knowing that if they didn’t RB might take it and still have the pace to make a either a 2 stop or a long stint on the hards work?

The thing that I think is a shame though is that they basically just gave up track position and didn’t even make Max have to overtake. The Ferrari was very fast in a straight line - might he have been able to do a 2019? Probably not, but we’ll never know. It might have at least have made it harder for Max.

Juzh

chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

At least some of verstappen's late pace "drop off" was due to traffic. Up to lap 47 he had to lap like 10 cars, leclerc only a few at that point and he was yet to catch drs train all fighting for position. There were 9 backmarker cars between VER and LEC before SC. Basically Lec had a net zero gain on soft, same pace.

chrisc90

Juzh wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 22:34
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

At least some of verstappen's late pace "drop off" was due to traffic. Up to lap 47 he had to lap like 10 cars, leclerc only a few at that point and he was yet to catch drs train all fighting for position. There was 9 backmarker cars between VER and LEC before SC. Basically Lec had a net zero gain on soft, same pace.
That comment was in relation to Charles drop off on the medium from lap 29 to the lap that was 1:30.

ringo

tpe wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 21:49
I stand corrected.
We will not know the true piture. It was evident Max was managing the gap to Russel. Even at the front when he had that 17s gap to leclerc he was lifting early into turn 1.

As for the ground effect of Ferrari vs Redbull. I dont think Ferrari's grasp is the same as RB.
The Ferrari is still bouncing like crazy, whereas the redbull is quite consistent.
It's almost as if Redbull know the exact sweet spot and and the aero platform is held in this zone above the ground.
Ferrari's saving grace is its sidepod design and ERS. Redbull has a more complete grasp of the regulations.
For Sure!!

Timtim99
Timtim99

codetower wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:56
chrisc90 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

They did, when everyone can see that Vettel packed closed to a place the car can be rolled in quickly, Ferrari have gone backward in development and the team are also very passive with their decision making.