Will we see DeVries @ Williams in Singapore?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Will we see DeVries @ Williams in Singapore?

With the slight complication with Albon's surgery, do we think we will see the point scorer Nyck back so Alex gets an extra week of rest? ๐Ÿค”

TimW

Re: Will we see DeVries @ Williams in Singapore?

That would be risky for De Vries. Better for him to leave it at this until he has a contract sorted for a seat for next year. Singapore will not be a good track for Williams I'd guess. So if he drives there and has a lacklustre weekend, that will not do his case any good.

Sevach

TimW wrote: โ†‘
15 Sep 2022, 00:47
That would be risky for De Vries. Better for him to leave it at this until he has a contract sorted for a seat for next year. Singapore will not be a good track for Williams I'd guess. So if he drives there and has a lacklustre weekend, that will not do his case any good.
He can't just say "nah i'm good" in case Albon isn't fit to race.

People on the paddock understand that the Williams won't be good there so basically he needs to target Latifi, which i think he can pull off.

Just_a_fan

That might be the case in the eyes of the public, but the teams are much more aware of a driver's abilities and certainly wouldn't take a single performance (good or bad) from a parachuted-in driver when making decisions. Yes, he did his chances no harm at Monza, but likewise no one is going to rush to sign him up just on that one performance. And a mediocre performance in Singapore wouldn't be a disaster either - the teams know he is not race fit, know he's new to the car and team, know that Singapore is a tricky track to get right, etc. What is more important is how the driver interacts with the team and his engineers, etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1

If Nyck was knackered after a 'simple' track and shortest race time in Monza - -then he will be trashed after 2hrs in Singapore - a good challenge for him if he took it and I would expect him to beat Nick Latifi (who is obviously a talented guy, and seems to be a really nice lad, but who is out of his depth here at this level)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

DChemTech

Sevach wrote: โ†‘
15 Sep 2022, 03:45
He can't just say "nah i'm good" in case Albon isn't fit to race.

People on the paddock understand that the Williams won't be good there so basically he needs to target Latifi, which i think he can pull off.
Indeed, the answer to the question whether we will see Nyck again is really only depending on the question whether Alex is fit to race.
If Alex isn't fit, I would not see a reason for Williams to pick up someone else as a reserve driver (well, unless they signed another driver to replace Latifi and want to give that person experience), and I would not see any reason for Nyck to decline when asked; chances to drive in F1 are limited - take what you get if you don't have a seat fixed yet.

chrisc90

I think we will .

The fia might step in to make sure heโ€™s fit to race. They might also have something to say about nyck needing lots of help to get out the car at the end of monza. He certainly wouldnโ€™t have passed the 7 second rule in that state

Big Tea

Good or bad it will still be a track he 'has driven' to add to his CV, and who knows, possibly another point.
Equally as important is that he will be at the driver brief and also available for the media.
Getting himself seen a good thing for himself and his sponsor as he would probably have a (replica) race suit on during interviews.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SirBastianVettel

chrisc90 wrote: โ†‘
15 Sep 2022, 10:58
The fia might step in to make sure heโ€™s fit to race. They might also have something to say about nyck needing lots of help to get out the car at the end of monza. He certainly wouldnโ€™t have passed the 7 second rule in that state
I think in case of an emergency (so lot's of adrenaline) he would have been able to extract himself from the car within 7 seconds.

Big Tea

SirBastianVettel wrote: โ†‘
15 Sep 2022, 13:19
chrisc90 wrote: โ†‘
15 Sep 2022, 10:58
I think in case of an emergency (so lot's of adrenaline) he would have been able to extract himself from the car within 7 seconds.
It is probably the same as a case of an injured driver, they have to be able to get out in time, not they have to do it on each occasion where they are not in dire danger. He probably would have if he had to, just considered it not essential at that moment.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Devries will be bappy to know he has a drive next year. It's good to have another Mercedes driver in the fold. Latiffi is a renegegade. He drives for himself and we saw the culmination of his selfish ways in Abu Dhabi 2021. Please get rid of him Jost.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

McMika98

DeVries better not get on the Williams in Singapore, it could backfire massively. I can see him crashing few times and getting outperformed by Latifi.

PlatinumZealot

McMika98 wrote: โ†‘
17 Sep 2022, 18:31
DeVries better not get on the Williams in Singapore, it could backfire massively. I can see him crashing few times and getting outperformed by Latifi.
If Albon is not better by then....
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote: โ†‘
16 Sep 2022, 18:44
Devries will be bappy to know he has a drive next year. It's good to have another Mercedes driver in the fold. Latiffi is a renegegade. He drives for himself and we saw the culmination of his selfish ways in Abu Dhabi 2021. Please get rid of him Jost.
How was AD 2021 the culmination of his selfish ways? Surely just an unfortunate crash, unless you believe he did it on purpose to change the race?