[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Koldskaal

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 12:39
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... enders.gif

Homepage updates are coming...
HRT 2.0 great name :lol:
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 19:41
Ft5fTL wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 17:32
RicME85 wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 15:13
Take a look at the McLaren underside photos that have been posted, some interesting things going on there.

Really struggling to find time to produce a car at the moment. The closeness of races hasnt helped either. Doesnt help that I am wanting to move away from Sketchup but am struggling to get to grips with proper CAD modelling. I find Sketchup so intuitive. Latest software I have downloaded to try is CorelCAD
How about Fusion 360? It's free and easy to learn.
I have tried it. I think my problem is my brain just cannot adjust to the different type of modelling :D
I have a number of 3D printers and have used Fusion 360 a few times to create some very basic fixings to print. I read that disabling the part history is a good way for long time Sketchup users to switch to Fusion 360 but I still couldnt get there. I know what I want to do and how I would do it in Sketchup but translating that to Fusion or whatever other software causes such brainfarts.

Earlier I was messing around trying to make a basic F1 tub in Fusion but couldn't figure it out. I made one shape for the A-A bulkhead (as in the old F1 regs) and went to extrude it to B-B but once I had I couldnt work out how to adjust the dimensions of the surface that makes up B-B. I then tried a different approach, more akin to doing it in Sketchup where I started with A-A then drew a line from there to where B-B would be and tried to draw the shape for B-B but it was in completely the wrong place on the plane and I couldnt figure out how to move it.
Probably all just stupidly simple things to sort but between my brain (which is filled with loads of opiates on a daily basis) and not knowing the Sketchup to Fusion 360 name/tool differences just got me frustrated :lol:
Yeah I had this exact issue. Brain was so much in sketchup mode that I couldn't make complex shapes in proper cad software. The thing which helped me is blender. Allowed me to keep a lot of sketchup in my brain but sped up the process by miles and allows to create lower polly meshes and subdivide later for more detail. Will still be a learning curve and will still take you time to adjust but I find a lot of the sketchup stuff is transferable once you get the hang of it.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

During KVRC times, I also used Blender. I think it is a great software to create funny curved shapes. And with some knowledge of how to use Python, you can parametrize your geometries and have optimization software take care of finding the best shape. Now that is for advanced users. But while Blender for sure is no CAD software, I think it is just great for aerodynamics people that have to create many funny shapes.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 12:39
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... enders.gif

Homepage updates are coming...
I dont see my car here. Should i be worried?
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

JJR
JJR

My car is also missing.

LVDH

OK, sorry, that is pretty strange. But I have personally seen both cars, prepared them for CFD and rendered them. No idea how they got lost during the gif generation. :oops:

BlueCheetah66

How much difference does using the MVRC_Long settings make to the CFD results compared to the MVRC_Fast?

yinlad

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 18:17
How much difference does using the MVRC_Long settings make to the CFD results compared to the MVRC_Fast?
I think it's been said to be in the region of 20% more downforce, particularly around the floor. I'm sure someone will correct me. It's in this thread somewhere
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
The difference is big from "fast" to standard, very small from standard to "long"

spacehead3

I noticed that Andre snuck some CFD images into the website when we weren't looking: https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2022/
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 20:52
I noticed that Andre snuck some CFD images into the website when we weren't looking: https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2022/
Thank you! Very very interesting to see how variable is the flow. I could look at these images for hours trying to imagine the reason of such different pressure fields.

The vortices clearly reveal 2022 or 2021 approach for the wing design, cool.

Two cars have a completely wrong ground clearance :o

PS: there are some asymmetric areas. Does it mean that a full car has been simulated?
Last edited by CAEdevice on 15 Sep 2022, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

G-raph

That's very useful, thank you for posting these!

I think the pictures for JJR and Variante are from their first "rogue" CFD runs with the crazy numbers, wrong ground clearance and asymmetric results (as Matteo mentioned). It would be good to get these updated to the proper results, so we can compare everyone properly.

variante

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
For my car, the one i raced last time:
FAST: CD=1.378 CL=2.725 CoP=1.759 Cooling=1.245*2
MEDIUM: CD=1.388 CL=3.394 CoP=1.834 Cooling=1.273*2
LONG (official): CD=1.335 CL=3.277 CoP=1.751 Cooling=1.195*2

LVDH

G-raph wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 21:45
I think the pictures for JJR and Variante are from their first "rogue" CFD runs with the crazy numbers, wrong ground clearance and asymmetric results (as Matteo mentioned). It would be good to get these updated to the proper results, so we can compare everyone properly.
They are and I just fixed this, but you guys were faster than me....
Did JJR and Variante receive the correct reports?

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
This really depends on your car. What others suggest might, be true for their car but might as well be very wrong for your car. You have to check for yourself. The computing requirements in MVRC are pretty low, but I do understand that some people run on laptops and might not be able to really run "full" MVRC simulations.

CAEdevice

I copy the link again for simplicity: https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... mvrc-2022/

What do you think about? I appeal to professional aerodynamics. I consider Cp_Tot a bit like a measure of the amount of energy present in the fluid: is it better to have still energized air to come out of the diffuser or not?