2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stu

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 02:57
Merecedes should turn up the engines for the last races. I still believe in that win!
I would be amazed if they don’t exhaust their pool.
I would also not be surprised by a win for either (or both) LH or GR.
Mexico, maybe, or Brazil.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

georgekyr

A win is the only milestone left achievable for this season. I do not know if it makes any sense to push for second place in the constructors given the extra time they will get for developing W14 by finishing third.
Based on the reliability of the engines and clues here and there that they have not been pushed to the max, I guess they can have Lewis with a 2021 Brazilian-like tuned engine for the couple of races that fit the car. It would be a shame if Lewis loses the record of a win in all competing seasons...

chrisc90

Lewis doesn’t have any engines left to run them as disposable does he? They lost the fresh Spa engine in the accident.

Guess extra penalties would need to be took if they went down that route.

PlatinumZealot

There should be tracks they are weak at where it's no harm to take a penalty.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 13:20
There should be tracks they are weak at where it's no harm to take a penalty.
I guess it also depends how much their engines degrade this year. Last year they dropped off quite a bit.

I also presume that power output/ecu mapping isn’t locked too?

organic

I think Brazil and Mexico will suit the W13 nicely. Think there's a good chance for a result there, as long as they aren't too cooling limited at these higher altitudes. Temperatures on the sunday might dictate how well it goes

Cs98

georgekyr wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 09:32
A win is the only milestone left achievable for this season. I do not know if it makes any sense to push for second place in the constructors given the extra time they will get for developing W14 by finishing third.
Based on the reliability of the engines and clues here and there that they have not been pushed to the max, I guess they can have Lewis with a 2021 Brazilian-like tuned engine for the couple of races that fit the car. It would be a shame if Lewis loses the record of a win in all competing seasons...
Idk. Two Merc engines blew up at Monza, which put a dent in that reliability record. They might have scope to push a bit more, though I suspect both drivers might have to take a new engine again if that is the case. George's is 3 races old, and Lewis' 1 race old. But both only have one race engine in the pool.

I also suspect Honda have turned up the wick. Max has taken 3 new engines since Hungary, so he has 1-2 races of mileage on 3 new engines for the remaining 6 races. Considering he used two engines for the first 12 races they definitely have some scope to increase performance there. Some Merc 2021 inspiration I suspect.

ringo

organic wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 13:24
I think Brazil and Mexico will suit the W13 nicely. Think there's a good chance for a result there, as long as they aren't too cooling limited at these higher altitudes. Temperatures on the sunday might dictate how well it goes
Yep, this year's car seems to have cooling issues.
For Sure!!

mkay

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 10:23
Lewis doesn’t have any engines left to run them as disposable does he? They lost the fresh Spa engine in the accident.

Mercedes confirmed that the Spa engine can and will be fixed and re-used.

organic

mkay wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 12:24
chrisc90 wrote:

Would you be able to provide a quote/link with regards to that? I know they're in the process of trying to repair it, but I don't think there's been confirmation that it will be re-used. It was, in the Monza debrief, alluded to at most

hollus

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/09/me ... el-switch/

The title is a bit misleading, it was done just for the Belgium-Holland-Italy triple header.
Mercedes’ F1 team cut its freight emissions by 89% with biofuel switch
Rivals, not enemies.

chrisc90

organic wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 12:29
mkay wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Would you be able to provide a quote/link with regards to that? I know they're in the process of trying to repair it, but I don't think there's been confirmation that it will be re-used. It was, in the Monza debrief, alluded to at most

From what he said they are 'trying to fix it' which I guess is optimistic at best. If they can fix it, I imagine it will be a practice 1/2 engine and not a race engine.

Jdn1327

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 22:42
ringo wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 21:46
We also have to factor that George had the benefit of seeing what everyone else was doing before opting for softs. Lewis did not have that benefit, he just did what the team had planned. And being at the front you dont have time to react and second guess the team. You just have to trust their decision. Russel was able to second guess after the fact. It was more like him being opportunistic because he saw the cards everyone else played. Sorta like playing rock paper sciccors where you move after everyone else has.

I do think George is the finished article however. He is very good and i think his time at williams made him as prepared as ever to step into the mercedes car and perform. I dont see him getting much better than he is now, and in fact i think he would be a better challenger to Max than Leclerc is. George can defend well and takes his chances and is consistent.
If Lewis leaves mercedes is in good hands.
I am hoping the mercedes is at least within 2 tenths of RB19 next year, as Hamilton should be able to beat Max on the track as he did before in 2021. I really think he is only one who can make Max lose his cool and get desperate.
Still, the team should have looked and seen the window they could have pitted Lewis, if that was their aim to protect him for the win at the start of the day.

The RB19 vs the W14......such a big question from that point. Mercedes have a LOT to catch up on, still even to this year, and I think its unlikely they will ever get close to the pace the RB has this season. Of course, there is revised floors for next year (which I personally think is a bit premature given the TD039 and the ride height tweaks if there is big oscillations. I feel teams should have had some time to adapt to the TD039 like we have seen in the last 3 races. Has there been a problem since the directive was issued....nope. Hence why I feel making changes to floors to go hand in hand with that directive is a bit soon - different topic though)
With that, and a revised floor, there is the question of who is going to 'lose out' or 'benefit' the most from that rule change. One would think that it would be those teams who run their car/floor closest to the floor - so that could be a burden for the W14 as we know Mercedes have managed to run their floor edge pretty close to the floor once they have sorted the porpoising out.

2tenths is still quite a bit to overcome, but as we have seen the odd time this year - the W13 has the pace to match the lap times of the leaders.

I dont think Max or Lewis will ever see eye to eye on the track - of course there is the mutual respect - but you just have to look at some of the media interviews to see that that respect stops as soon as they are not racing. Probably more the 'problem' lies with Lewis as there has been a couple interviews where he has been asked about Max and hasnt really given a answer (the questions to the drivers what they thought of Max is a prime example there). Whether Max/Lewis would typically be bothered by each other in seasons to come is another question and would probably depend on how the title was looking points wise - as it has been said Lewis is a bit cagey when his back is against the wall. I think there would be some awesome racing if those two ever had similar cars between them - and hopefully it would be clean racing - like we have seen this year when Max has battled closely with rivals.

George is still missing that little bit of sparkle if you ask me from what i've seen this season - the diamonds are there and set - the sun isnt out to make them sparkle like they should yet. We've seen some careless lunges from him which were optimistic on the best of days and race wise he's just trundled along doing his thing. I dont think i've seen any 'brilliance' from him yet on race day - aside from the tyre call for softs which I thought was good race awareness.
I think its fair to say that Adrian Newey and his design team have really cracked the regulations this year. And with Max having that extra weapon in his arsenal of him more calm at the wheel and this car being so drivable is a deadly combination for other teams. He has been under pressure several times this year but has been so cool. Others around him have made
mistakes and he has just benefitted from that.

I hope to see rb19 vs w14...I think Mercedes philosophy needs to change. With Wolff having free reign with out Niki Lauda as the logic compass I don't see Mercedes being competitive at all over the next 4yrs.

basti313

organic wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 12:29
mkay wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

In an interview before Monza they stated, that it will only be used for FP in the future if they can repair it.

I am not sure if they need another engine. To me it looks like they always planned without a further change. If they would have chosen from the beginning to take new engines in Spa (without penalty) and another one later, that would have been Monza in any way. And the team radios do not fit to this scenario at all.

Now they have exactly the same in the pool as planned and if they can repair the Spa engine even another spare for FP.

I also do not see whom they should compete with now. Ferrari looks again more settled and we have more classical tracks like Japan, Brazil or high efficiency tracks like Austin coming. I do not see much sense in not just taking what is possible and wait for errors by Ferrari. Another start from the back just helps Ferrari.
Don`t russel the hamster!

holeindalip

Jdn1327 wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 07:45
chrisc90 wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 22:42
ringo wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 21:46
We also have to factor that George had the benefit of seeing what everyone else was doing before opting for softs. Lewis did not have that benefit, he just did what the team had planned. And being at the front you dont have time to react and second guess the team. You just have to trust their decision. Russel was able to second guess after the fact. It was more like him being opportunistic because he saw the cards everyone else played. Sorta like playing rock paper sciccors where you move after everyone else has.

I do think George is the finished article however. He is very good and i think his time at williams made him as prepared as ever to step into the mercedes car and perform. I dont see him getting much better than he is now, and in fact i think he would be a better challenger to Max than Leclerc is. George can defend well and takes his chances and is consistent.
If Lewis leaves mercedes is in good hands.
I am hoping the mercedes is at least within 2 tenths of RB19 next year, as Hamilton should be able to beat Max on the track as he did before in 2021. I really think he is only one who can make Max lose his cool and get desperate.
Still, the team should have looked and seen the window they could have pitted Lewis, if that was their aim to protect him for the win at the start of the day.

The RB19 vs the W14......such a big question from that point. Mercedes have a LOT to catch up on, still even to this year, and I think its unlikely they will ever get close to the pace the RB has this season. Of course, there is revised floors for next year (which I personally think is a bit premature given the TD039 and the ride height tweaks if there is big oscillations. I feel teams should have had some time to adapt to the TD039 like we have seen in the last 3 races. Has there been a problem since the directive was issued....nope. Hence why I feel making changes to floors to go hand in hand with that directive is a bit soon - different topic though)
With that, and a revised floor, there is the question of who is going to 'lose out' or 'benefit' the most from that rule change. One would think that it would be those teams who run their car/floor closest to the floor - so that could be a burden for the W14 as we know Mercedes have managed to run their floor edge pretty close to the floor once they have sorted the porpoising out.

2tenths is still quite a bit to overcome, but as we have seen the odd time this year - the W13 has the pace to match the lap times of the leaders.

I dont think Max or Lewis will ever see eye to eye on the track - of course there is the mutual respect - but you just have to look at some of the media interviews to see that that respect stops as soon as they are not racing. Probably more the 'problem' lies with Lewis as there has been a couple interviews where he has been asked about Max and hasnt really given a answer (the questions to the drivers what they thought of Max is a prime example there). Whether Max/Lewis would typically be bothered by each other in seasons to come is another question and would probably depend on how the title was looking points wise - as it has been said Lewis is a bit cagey when his back is against the wall. I think there would be some awesome racing if those two ever had similar cars between them - and hopefully it would be clean racing - like we have seen this year when Max has battled closely with rivals.

George is still missing that little bit of sparkle if you ask me from what i've seen this season - the diamonds are there and set - the sun isnt out to make them sparkle like they should yet. We've seen some careless lunges from him which were optimistic on the best of days and race wise he's just trundled along doing his thing. I dont think i've seen any 'brilliance' from him yet on race day - aside from the tyre call for softs which I thought was good race awareness.
I think its fair to say that Adrian Newey and his design team have really cracked the regulations this year. And with Max having that extra weapon in his arsenal of him more calm at the wheel and this car being so drivable is a deadly combination for other teams. He has been under pressure several times this year but has been so cool. Others around him have made
mistakes and he has just benefitted from that.

I hope to see rb19 vs w14...I think Mercedes philosophy needs to change. With Wolff having free reign with out Niki Lauda as the logic compass I don't see Mercedes being competitive at all over the next 4yrs.
Can you give examples of when he's been under pressure this year? Must be watching a different season....