Interesting Stuff

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
gruntguru
gruntguru
547
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:43 am

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

diffuser wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:05 am
All the cars in the world create 7% of the worlds green houses gases per year. Doesn't really matter what you power cars with, if you don't deal with the other 93% of the problem.

EVs are like the move to Diesel in the 90s and early 2000, we'll eventualy wake up and find out it's not the climate change resolusion.

My guess at why cars get so much of our green house gas focus is because it's one for the few things in the green house gas battle that the ordinary Joe can control. So, mislead, we demand it and the car manufactures comply. Countries need to Push they're elected representatives to really look at this and come up with a plan for the other 93%...Part of it will likely be build more electric generating water dams and if you can't build dams, you need to build nuclear power plants (they are cleaner that solar and wind).
1. You have to deal with everything. Each sub-sector can easily say "well we only account for X% of GOG so there's no point dealing with our emissions if you don't deal with the other 100-X%." Same goes for countries. I am sick of hearing Australians saying "we only account for 1% of emissions - no point us doing anything". Fact is - if you exempt all the countries that emit less than say 2%, you are ignoring something like 40% of global emissions.

2. Diesel? EV? Opinion.

3. Cars do not get a disproportionate GHG focus. There is far more CO2 abatement occurring in other sectors.
je suis charlie

User avatar
Andres125sx
164
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

gruntguru wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:59 am
diffuser wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:05 am
All the cars in the world create 7% of the worlds green houses gases per year. Doesn't really matter what you power cars with, if you don't deal with the other 93% of the problem.

EVs are like the move to Diesel in the 90s and early 2000, we'll eventualy wake up and find out it's not the climate change resolusion.

My guess at why cars get so much of our green house gas focus is because it's one for the few things in the green house gas battle that the ordinary Joe can control. So, mislead, we demand it and the car manufactures comply. Countries need to Push they're elected representatives to really look at this and come up with a plan for the other 93%...Part of it will likely be build more electric generating water dams and if you can't build dams, you need to build nuclear power plants (they are cleaner that solar and wind).
1. You have to deal with everything. Each sub-sector can easily say "well we only account for X% of GOG so there's no point dealing with our emissions if you don't deal with the other 100-X%." Same goes for countries. I am sick of hearing Australians saying "we only account for 1% of emissions - no point us doing anything". Fact is - if you exempt all the countries that emit less than say 2%, you are ignoring something like 40% of global emissions.

2. Diesel? EV? Opinion.

3. Cars do not get a disproportionate GHG focus. There is far more CO2 abatement occurring in other sectors.
Indeed

This is said repeatedly in this forum, but reality is focus is on everywhere, but people only notice what directly affect himself. We motorsport fans care about motosport news, so we hear/read this sort of things repeatedly, but that does not mean other sectors are not faced.

I´m construction engineer, and I´m sick of repeating house warming, wich is several orders of magnitude a bigger problem, is being faced too with national and european aids wich can reach even 80% of the cost to improve house isolation and reduce warming demands by even a 60%

I´d love if same subsidizing is applied to EVs, I´d purchase one instantly, but reality is subsidizing in this sector is peanuts compared to other sectors so I´m not purchasing an EV yet

Should I claim transport emissions are not faced with same interest than other sectors then? :roll:

User avatar
Zynerji
108
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Does this fall under "Interesting Stuff"?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/floating-poin ... -processor

Will this help CFD processing, or just AI learning?🤔

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Zynerji wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:03 pm
Does this fall under "Interesting Stuff"?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/floating-poin ... -processor

Will this help CFD processing, or just AI learning?🤔
Yes, I believe its interesting because in many facets of life we are stuck with tradition and that curtails development and discussion because new discoveries require new language to adequately describe them.
This applies to the numbers game too.
Just like the use of meshing in CFD work will be superceded one day thus reducing the ridiculous work load

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Part of this chemistry experiment reveals that nitrogen has the highest bond strength and the part that that plays in the exothermic reaction after recombining. If this is considered regarding combustion in air it may relate to the challenge of the reducing the formation of nitrogen oxides.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Tubercles of the humpback whale
I read about this several years ago and instigated a high level experiment where grooves were ground into the leading edge of a dyno fan and stood in front of it, completely without bias it worked better
:wink:
At least I thought it did :)
Is this the reason it used to be on the top edge of the F1 windscreens?
(Could have gone in the Aerohydrodynamic topic)


johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Note the surface treatments of vortex generators, T-spoilers and serrated edges for acoustic attenuation.

gruntguru
gruntguru
547
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:43 am

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Very cool.
je suis charlie

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

News flash from the 2022 Nobel prize awards.
"Scientists Carolyn Bertozzi, Morten Meldal and Barry Sharpless have been awarded the 2022 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for developing a way of "snapping molecules together" to create materials.

Hans Ellegren, secretary-general of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, announced the winners on Wednesday at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, citing their development of "click chemistry and bio-orthogonal chemistry".

Its award follows the joint naming of the Nobel Prize for Physics to three "quantum information" scientists on Tuesday, for showing that tiny particles can retain a connection with each other, even when separated.

The 2021 chemistry award was won by German Benjamin List and Scottish-born David MacMillan for their work in creating new tools to build molecules, aiding in the development of new drugs as well as in areas such as plastics."

"They" locked the thread where there was some discussion on new materials.
On many fronts this is the future, this discovery is significant to help enable new materials to be developed at a lower impact cost by possibly joining atoms in novel ways

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
561
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

johnny comelately wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:08 am
Note the surface treatments of vortex generators, T-spoilers and serrated edges for acoustic attenuation.
[...]
Interesting to see the use of balsa as a core material. A material that has been used for such things for many years, of course.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Mach 5 Ramjet
Go to the 4:54 mark (a nice Chev moment)

User avatar
Andres125sx
164
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

johnny comelately wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:57 pm
Mach 5 Ramjet
Go to the 4:54 mark (a nice Chev moment)
Very interesting video, love it :)

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Always wondered how they spun the MGUH turbo up to 120K RPM or thereabouts.
Is this a possibilty? Along with air bearings? Or is it brushless DC?
Tommy mentioned magnetic couplings ??
Last edited by johnny comelately on Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
561
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

johnny comelately wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:57 pm
Mach 5 Ramjet
Go to the 4:54 mark (a nice Chev moment)
Nice video. It's good to see small companies trying these things - they don't get bogged down in 10 layers of corporate arse covering like the big, established, companies do. It frees them to take the risks necessary to push and break new ground.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
79
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post

Put this in here to mainly for the aero aspects of the wing, the engine matters they bring up may not be 100%. Did not want to taint the piston engined fighter topic, although it may be more appropriate there...