FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: FIA Thread

Dernie Ecclestone wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 16:51
https://i.imgur.com/o612eHT.png

This article was too technical for me. Are they saying it's homophobic to boo Mercedes drivers? Or raycist? Anyway abuse of fans was outlawed with the Brabham BT46 so not quite sure what they're on about.

https://www.f1technical.net/news/23790
That's an article that focuses on the wrong thing. The drivers don't care about booing, it's all part of the game. The issue isn't booing of drivers, it's insulting and inappropriate behaviour by male fans to female fans. The issue is cat calling, it's wolf whistling and it's inappropriate (illegal) physical contact. Men sticking their hands up women's skirts, etc..

That the article on this forum was written to highlight the former and basically ignore the latter is a terrible testament to the attitude of this forum to the abuse of women.

I'd have hoped for a firmer tone from the forum. Sad that an official article brushes over the real issue here. The forum and its owner should hang their heads in shame.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

Christian Horner mentioned this a long time ago. This is so sad! :cry:
Former race director Masi received death threats after Abu Dhabi decision

REUTERS July 31, 2022

"There were some dark days," Masi told News Corp on Sunday. "And absolutely, I felt like I was the most hated man in the world. I got death threats. People saying, they were going to come after me and my family."

A subsequent report into the Abu Dhabi race in March found that Masi had made a "human error" but acted in "good faith".

Masi, who left governing body the FIA in March, was the subject of a torrent of abuse on social media.

"They were shocking," Masi said of messages he received on Facebook. "Racist, abusive, vile, they called me every name under the sun.

"And they kept on coming. Not just on my Facebook but also on my LinkedIn, which is supposed to be a professional platform for business. It was the same type of abuse."

The 44-year-old has since returned to Australia and did not seek professional help in the aftermath of the incident.

"I didn't want to talk to anyone," he said.

"Not even family and friends. I only talked to my close family – but very briefly.

"It did have a physical impact, but it was more mental. I just wanted to be in a bubble. I had no desire to talk to them. I just wanted to be alone, which was very challenging.

"The whole experience has made me a much stronger person," he added.
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-07-31/

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

In the UK we've had weather forecasters getting abuse and threats because they mentioned climate change when giving warnings about some recent very hot weather. It's a sign of the times that people can hide behind a keyboard and screen and write horrible thing s to and about people.

I don't agree with what Masi did in AD, but I certainly don't think he should get abuse and threats because of it. That's no way for a society to function.

chrisc90

Wouter wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 10:59
Absolutely shocking behaviour by fans, particular fan bases should be ashamed of themselves.

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:30
Wouter wrote:
Absolutely shocking behaviour by fans, particular fan bases should be ashamed of themselves.
Sadly, some people forget themselves whether it be idiots sending online abuse or drunks abusing women. They all need a good shake by the throat until they see the error of their ways.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:33
chrisc90 wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Sadly, some people forget themselves whether it be idiots sending online abuse or drunks abusing women. They all need a good shake by the throat until they see the error of their ways.
Absolutely. Totally out of order on all counts.

diffuser

chrisc90 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

On the positive side, nobody has ever killed anyone from behind a keyboard. I don't condone it but "Sticks and stones...".

ispano6

diffuser wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:52
chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

On the positive side, nobody has ever killed anyone from behind a keyboard. I don't condone it but "Sticks and stones...".
You're not seeing the bigger picture or psychological damage. Abuse that leads to suicide or mass murders is a direct result. The cause can be considered equally as bad. Maybe sometimes it's the victim that pushes too far and gets payback.

Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 08:20
diffuser wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:52
chrisc90 wrote:

You're not seeing the bigger picture or psychological damage. Abuse that leads to suicide or mass murders is a direct result. The cause can be considered equally as bad. Maybe sometimes it's the victim that pushes too far and gets payback.
Agreed. We do hear stories in the news of people committing suicide because of concerted and long term online abuse. It's generally young people who also get bullied IRL too, but the online stuff is what drives them to suicide because it's relentless and very hard for people to get away from these days.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 23:41
Hmmm, they say that Mercedes's problem is at the front of the floor - that would be the bit that it is alleged that other teams have devices that disappear in to the floor and thus allow them to avoid the issue. Perhaps the protests are a smoking gun for things that other teams are doing that aren't, perhaps, entirely within the rules. Whatever the outcome, it's going to be interesting to see how the upcoming changes affect things, if at all.
They have the lowest throat constriction (and therefore the biggest pressure differential under the floor, mandating a higher floor forces then other teams to change their whole philosophy. The Merc radiator position is deliberately low and without a significant redesign they are permanently disadvantaged against the leading two teams. Mercedes have made significant steps in the last few races (including bringing a spilt plank in very short order); the current measures are enough, they are also measurable.
The proposed ‘solution’ for 2023 is not necessarily required.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Wouter

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... /10369811/

FIA names automotive executive Natalie Robyn as first-ever CEO

The FIA has announced the appointment of Natalie Robyn as its first-ever CEO in a boost to the governing body’s management structure.

Robyn has more than 15 years of experience in the automotive industry, previously serving as the CEO of Volvo in Switzerland since 2017, as well has holding management positions at Nissan and DaimlerChrysler.

According to the FIA, Robyn "will be responsible for the successful operation and financial performance of an integrated and aligned FIA administration, as well as driving the overall strategy to deliver the leadership's vision of reform the federation."

The statement added: "Natalie will also develop new commercial growth plans to increase and diversify the FIA's revenue streams, ensuring financial stability to provide more resources for our members."

"I am delighted to be appointed the first ever CEO of the FIA at such an important and exciting time for the Federation," said Robyn.

"I look forward to working with members, the senior leadership team and the President to deliver their vision of reform and growth with the involvement of all staff."

Ben Sulayem hailed the appointment of Robyn as being a "transformative moment for our federation."

"Her extensive experience and leadership will be crucial to improving our finances, governance and operations," he said.

"She has a proven track record of delivering diversification and growth, as well as developing executive leadership capabilities which will be an extremely valuable asset to the FIA and our members and I welcome her to the team."
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

:o :shock: :evil:

The Power of Dreams!

mendis

Wouter wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 17:25

I like it. It's good fun. :)

Wouter

mendis wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 17:57
Wouter wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 17:25

I like it. It's good fun. :)
Indeed, good fun ....... ONE BIG JOKE !!

With that, they ruin the entire race weekend build-up, and also a predictable GP race on Sunday.
The Power of Dreams!

Neuron

Well... F1 in USA hand... it couldn't end up in different way. We are going to circus.