2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Jdn1327 wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 07:45
chrisc90 wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 22:42
ringo wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 21:46

I hope to see rb19 vs w14...I think Mercedes philosophy needs to change. With Wolff having free reign with out Niki Lauda as the logic compass I don't see Mercedes being competitive at all over the next 4yrs.
Wolff seems overly emotional these days.

mendis

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 18:43
Jdn1327 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I hope to see rb19 vs w14...I think Mercedes philosophy needs to change. With Wolff having free reign with out Niki Lauda as the logic compass I don't see Mercedes being competitive at all over the next 4yrs.
IMO, reviving a team's fortune requires a techno functional team principal to take critical, leading decisions. Wolff lead a well established unit and cars with potent advantage. With PU frozen and a bit behind Honda and a substantial gap to Red Bull in terms of chassis, it's going to be a first of a kind challenge for him in the budget restricted era to help his team overcome these highly competitive challenges. Unlike in the past where they could have thrown millions to overcome a problem, the current situation demands experience of having worked in an austere environment. This is where people like Newey and Brawn earned their respect.

CHT
CHT

mendis wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 19:57
AR3-GP wrote:
Jdn1327 wrote:

IMO, reviving a team's fortune requires a techno functional team principal to take critical, leading decisions. Wolff lead a well established unit and cars with potent advantage. With PU frozen and a bit behind Honda and a substantial gap to Red Bull in terms of chassis, it's going to be a first of a kind challenge for him in the budget restricted era to help his team overcome these highly competitive challenges. Unlike in the past where they could have thrown millions to overcome a problem, the current situation demands experience of having worked in an austere environment. This is where people like Newey and Brawn earned their respect.
Just like the Ferrari/MS and RBR/SV era of domination, they don't last forever, and most of the time it's the technical rule that changes everything. And I think the MERC/LH era domination is over and the Merc F1 team may have to spend the next few seasons rebuilding a new future with new engineers and a new driver lineup.

I am guessing Merc must be thinking, if LH win 8th WDC, he retires. If LH doesnt win, he remains with the team longer,

Not sure which is better for Merc.

cplchanb

AR3-GP wrote:
Jdn1327 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

well.. considering that they were robbed last year in AD and it seems like that was LH's last chance at WDC8 unless the W14 is a phoenix from the ashes who can blame him for being more edgy...

mendis

cplchanb wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 01:49
AR3-GP wrote:
Jdn1327 wrote:

well.. considering that they were robbed last year in AD and it seems like that was LH's last chance at WDC8 unless the W14 is a phoenix from the ashes who can blame him for being more edgy...
International sports competition can be heart breaking at times for various reasons and circumstances and can happen multiple times while on the job. Continuing to sulk on a past incident, making it a reason for downbeat demeanor makes one ineligible for a high profile job, if that is the case.

Imagine if Lewis would be underperforming and offering AD21 as a reason for his incompetence. Luckily for Mercedes, that's not the case and the guy is turning up week in week out and doing his job. If Wolff can't move on from AD21, then stepping aside would help both himself and Mercedes. But I guess his lethargic body language and demeanor has more to do with incompetent car and not being the talk of the town.

CHT
CHT

Perhaps LH may be thinking of driving for Ferrari before he retires. :) I think Ferrari is the only team that is big before for him.

Big Tea

mendis wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 05:50
cplchanb wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 01:49
AR3-GP wrote:

International sports competition can be heart breaking at times for various reasons and circumstances and can happen multiple times while on the job. Continuing to sulk on a past incident, making it a reason for downbeat demeanor makes one ineligible for a high profile job, if that is the case.

Imagine if Lewis would be underperforming and offering AD21 as a reason for his incompetence. Luckily for Mercedes, that's not the case and the guy is turning up week in week out and doing his job. If Wolff can't move on from AD21, then stepping aside would help both himself and Mercedes. But I guess his lethargic body language and demeanor has more to do with incompetent car and not being the talk of the town.
The first thing any sport psychologist will say is 'forget what is gone, you cannot change it'. If you learned something from it, take it on board, then forget the rest.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Yeah, it does seem a little strange they keep bringing it back up - regardless of their/peoples thoughts.

selvam_e2002

I think (my point of view) Mercdes tried something in 2022 however it is failed. I bet they going back to their drawing board again and come up with challenging care for 2023.

2022 seems over confident.

SiLo

If Lewis is still fast, keep him around. You can't get a more perfect driver for George to learn from and compete with, and it removes the driver from the equation somewhat of what is slow about the car because Lewis is a very well known baseline from them to work from.
Felipe Baby!

Tvetovnato

CHT wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 10:43
Perhaps LH may be thinking of driving for Ferrari before he retires. :) I think Ferrari is the only team that is big before for him.
He has said he will drive for Mercedes for the rest of his career. He will have nothing to gain by going to Ferrari anyway, as they have once again shown themselves incapable of mounting a serious challenge despite all preconditions being in place.

Shakeman

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 14:35
I think (my point of view) Mercdes tried something in 2022 however it is failed. I bet they going back to their drawing board again and come up with challenging care for 2023.

I don't know if they'll go back to the drawing board, that usually means starting with a blank piece of paper but I think they'll be rather more measured in their approach. By the end of the season they will have accrued a significant amount of valuable data on what works and what doesn't work and will ditch the areas which didn't work and iteratively improve the areas that did work.

There does appear to have been an assumption that proved to be a design flaw that was baked into the car for the whole season which could not be fixed, I would be surprised if the Merc designers didn't know exactly what that was and had remedied it for the W14.

Can they bridge the gap to the Red Bull? Only time will tell. I kind of discount Ferrari because even if they produce a rocket ship they'll contrive to eff things up during the season anyway.

CHT
CHT

selvam_e2002 wrote:

Merc problem may be due to their PU and that is something which they can't change until 2026. For this reason, Merc will not be able to copy RBR and Ferrari designs and hope for a similar performance outcome.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... s-obvious/

Jdn1327

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 12:11
Yeah, it does seem a little strange they keep bringing it back up - regardless of their/peoples thoughts.
At first i thought it was the fans but the team itself seems to be flogging this incident. Honestly what happened was unfortunate but it happened and the mindset of accepting and moving on hasn't seem to set in at Mercedes. Either they're doing it for media attention or they're gonna use it as a crutch for a 'nearly there' championship.
I am sure they will be title contenders next year but living in the past is not going to help them.

AR3-GP

CHT wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 06:46
selvam_e2002 wrote:

Merc problem may be due to their PU and that is something which they can't change until 2026. For this reason, Merc will not be able to copy RBR and Ferrari designs and hope for a similar performance outcome.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... s-obvious/
This piece is very old. Engines have been tuned a lot better since then.