2022 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 30 - Oct 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2022 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 30 - Oct 02

Complaining about straight line advantage on a track that rewards cornering speed and downforce? The Red Bull with its rake and general downforce strengths wasn't an advantage in max's lap time at all?

The merc wasn't designed to be fast around those tracks, The Ferrari and RB were better suited. That pole lap was marvellous. On that circuit with a driver doing a very perfect lap in a car that wasn't best suited to do perfect out there

michl420

For what are these textured stripes? The drivers will hardly feel it or even care.

mendis

Wouter wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:48
FIA eases F1 porpoising metric from Singapore GP

Formula 1’s porpoising metric has been tweaked from this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix to help remove potential problems caused by bumpy tracks, Motorsport.com has learned.

Sep 29, 2022, 11:33 AM

As the result of the extreme bouncing earlier in the season that left drivers complaining about safety implications, the FIA announced ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix that it was introducing an Aerodynamic Oscillation Metric that teams would not be allowed to exceed.

Teams had to ensure that their car was below the maximum bouncing limit over each lap, or there was a risk of them being sanctioned on safety grounds.

In a document sent to teams ahead of the Montreal race, they were warned that breaching the rules would carry the risk of cars being excluded from events.

F1’s head of single seater matters Nikolas Tombazis said in that note: “Any car whose AOM exceeds the stipulated AOM [limit] will be reported to the stewards with the recommendation that they be excluded from the results of the sprint or race."

Following some debate with teams about the implications of the metric, it finally came in to force from the Belgian Grand Prix.

By that stage of the campaign, with teams having a much better understanding of the forces that triggered much of the early season porpoising, no team has fallen foul of the metric so far.
================================
However, there had been some concern that some of the end of season races on bumpier tracks – including Singapore and Austin – could have triggered particular headaches.
So the circus continues!
organic wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:53
Should help ferrari and Mercedes in terms of setup compromises. maybe this is why Russell/Merc have been so optimistic coming into this weekend
Weren't they ultra optimistic coming into Spa weekend too? Are we going to see some tired drivers lying on the ground, complaining about their backs in Singapore?

chrisc90

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181 ... ngapore-gp

Wonder what the score was when he had 7 years of domination. How the tables turn.

daren_p

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 19:11

Wonder what the score was when he had 7 years of domination. How the tables turn.
As per usual, more of a clickbait headline, if you read what he actually says, he's not wrong.

mendis

daren_p wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 19:39
chrisc90 wrote:

As per usual, more of a clickbait headline, if you read what he actually says, he's not wrong.
While his most of statements are quite rationale and I wouldn't read it any other ways, here is what is dumb.
"I hope that more changes are made to try and bring all the teams closer and create better equality throughout the racing space. It's my hope we can all be closer.
First year of a major overhaul and he already expects compliant changes to help struggling teams like Mercedes to come on par. Mercedes got it badly wrong and that's not for FIA to fix it and it's something each team has to strive to overcome the deficit. 2022 rules set is one of the most confined of the past few decades and conventional wisdom expected cars to look the same and perform similar and yet, one top team messed it up. As it's all in aero, I am sure they can catch up.

AeroDynamic

mendis wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 19:46
daren_p wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

While his most of statements are quite rationale and I wouldn't read it any other ways, here is what is dumb.
"I hope that more changes are made to try and bring all the teams closer and create better equality throughout the racing space. It's my hope we can all be closer.
First year of a major overhaul and he already expects compliant changes to help struggling teams like Mercedes to come on par. Mercedes got it badly wrong and that's not for FIA to fix it and it's something each team has to strive to overcome the deficit. 2022 rules set is one of the most confined of the past few decades and conventional wisdom expected cars to look the same and perform similar and yet, one top team messed it up. As it's all in aero, I am sure they can catch up.
Nobody was singing this sort of tune when people wanted engine modes scrapped. Everybody's singing only one tune: we want the cars to be closer. Hamilton has said that when he had the best car, and hes been saying it without it. Its consistent. The only people who aren't singing tunes consistently, are fans who want RBR to dominate for years to come, and were singing the previous tune when teams like RBR with Max didn't have a competitive enough car.

Engine modes have been scrapped before and were a good idea etc. To save on costs.. well it would cost teams a lot less if the rules condensed the field than chasing a leading team for years and years jus to get close enough. Thats the same direction F1 and everyone has been rowing in, isn't it? Budget caps, CFD and wind tunnel time limits. Apparently we have to keep going in that direction until its really close again between enough teams.

Cs98

AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 13:23
Complaining about straight line advantage on a track that rewards cornering speed and downforce? The Red Bull with its rake and general downforce strengths wasn't an advantage in max's lap time at all?

The merc wasn't designed to be fast around those tracks, The Ferrari and RB were better suited. That pole lap was marvellous. On that circuit with a driver doing a very perfect lap in a car that wasn't best suited to do perfect out there
I agree that it was a fantastic lap. But regarding the Merc not being suited Mr Allison begs to disagree.

That telemetry that was posted really speaks for itself, even on a track like Singapore the straight line speed difference was massive. Accounting for way more than 3 tenths.

mendis

AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 19:54
mendis wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 19:46
daren_p wrote:

Nobody was singing this sort of tune when people wanted engine modes scrapped. Everybody's singing only one tune: we want the cars to be closer. Hamilton has said that when he had the best car, and hes been saying it without it. Its consistent. The only people who aren't singing tunes consistently, are fans who want RBR to dominate for years to come, and were singing the previous tune when teams like RBR with Max didn't have a competitive enough car.

Engine modes have been scrapped before and were a good idea etc. To save on costs.. well it would cost teams a lot less if the rules condensed the field than chasing a leading team for years and years jus to get close enough. Thats the same direction F1 and everyone has been rowing in, isn't it? Budget caps, CFD and wind tunnel time limits. Apparently we have to keep going in that direction until its really close again between enough teams.
You are premeditating that catch-up is impossible on these set of regulations within a year, which I find absurd to be foregone conclusion. There are already 2 teams matching in performance and have roughly similar aerodynamic approaches whereas Mercedes is odd one out and needs revision. With so much learning already from the past 8 months, they should already know what to fix. Who is to say a quick FIA intervention isn't going to further tilt the advantage to Red Bull like Mercedes tried to force FIAs hand in porpoising saga. There are already fears that the floor edge changes of 2023 can hurt the cars that require lower ride heights, more than the ones that are happy with slightly raised heights.

Mr5in1

Love the Singapore GP and glad it is back. Was fortunate to attend the GP in 2016 was such a great spectacle with a city that gets right behind the sport.

Not the best for track side views but lots of entertainment, plenty of food and drink and not confined to track only options. Also the staff and organisation is very slick you couldn't imagine a GP in the heart of other busy cities.

As for this weekend I imagine a Leclerc pole and Verstappen win but there's been a safety car at every previous race so who knows!

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:

If you'd read the article, you'd know:
Five of Hamilton's record-equalling seven championships have been settled before the final race of the season and the Englishman admitted those were also "not spectacular" for F1.

"When I've experienced having it finish early in places like Mexico - for you as the one individual, it's great, but for the actual sport it's not spectacular," Hamilton stated.

"So I'm really grateful to have had 2008 right down to the last 17 seconds, and obviously last year pretty much the same thing. So let's hope for the future it's a bit better."
You see? He's aware of the reality of the situation and isn't just moaning because he's not winning.

But, hey, haters gonna hate, eh?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

deadhead

mendis wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 11:48
Bring the SF75 that raced in Monaco and game over. :)
That will be nice to see but that one is deemed illegal now.

The French F175 is the one we are hoping to see back since they eased the TD39 parameters..

PlatinumZealot

Cs98 wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 20:37
AeroDynamic wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 13:23

I agree that it was a fantastic lap. But regarding the Merc not being suited Mr Allison begs to disagree.

That telemetry that was posted really speaks for itself, even on a track like Singapore the straight line speed difference was massive. Accounting for way more than 3 tenths.
You missed the part when James said Lewis drove the car faster than the computer predicted it woudld go. The Mercedes was behind the RedBull going into and during qualifying. Car didn't look stable at all. It was a totally unexpected pole.

Why people go to lengths to downplay it and he has over a hundred poles I will never understand.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

johnny comelately

These "local" races are so much more humane :wink: