FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cuky

Re: FIA Thread

what annoys me is the apparent lack of "balls" to arrive at the proper decision about sprint races. The way they are doing it "maybe we'll do it here and there, but not everywhere" for me is just screwing up the championship. Either do it properly, every GP weekend, or don't do it at all. This way it just looks like an afterthought, confuses those that don't follow F1 that closely and even confuses those that do follow it closely (I mean, who in their right mind decided to award pole position to someone who might not actually start from pole position on sunday, as just one example).

Sprint races are good when done right (SBK could be one example) but what F1 is doing is laughable at best. Add to that them still increasing the number of races and I am honestly feeling fed up with F1. I like F1, but too much of anything, even if good, gets boring quickly. Somehow, I find myself missing the days of 3-week breaks between races as it also meant a nearly 3-week break between all the fake drama they do.

Big Tea

Cuky wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 11:21
what annoys me is the apparent lack of "balls" to arrive at the proper decision about sprint races. The way they are doing it "maybe we'll do it here and there, but not everywhere" for me is just screwing up the championship. Either do it properly, every GP weekend, or don't do it at all. This way it just looks like an afterthought, confuses those that don't follow F1 that closely and even confuses those that do follow it closely (I mean, who in their right mind decided to award pole position to someone who might not actually start from pole position on sunday, as just one example).

Sprint races are good when done right (SBK could be one example) but what F1 is doing is laughable at best. Add to that them still increasing the number of races and I am honestly feeling fed up with F1. I like F1, but too much of anything, even if good, gets boring quickly. Somehow, I find myself missing the days of 3-week breaks between races as it also meant a nearly 3-week break between all the fake drama they do.
It also means there will be a ridiculous amount of points on offer next year.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Cuky

And that is as stupid idea for me as were double points for last race in 2014. If you're going to award extra points either do it in all GPs or don't do it at all. Can't wait for championship to be tightly contested only for fan bases to start arguing that team xyz won the championship because sprint races and extra points were won at track where team wsad was at disadvantage

fritticaldi

The Italian media is reporting that some teams didnt respect the budget cap in 2021. Amongst those investigated by the FIA is Red Bull Racing. https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/29-09 ... ason=unaut

Wouter

fritticaldi wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 02:01
The Italian media is reporting that some teams didnt respect the budget cap in 2021. Amongst those investigated by the FIA is Red Bull Racing. https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/29-09 ... ason=unaut
The Italian article is behind a paywall.
Translated from the AD:

Gazzetta: 'Red Bull spent more than allowed in 2021'

A creamy case in the Italian press this morning, where La Gazzetta dello Sport reports on an investigation into three Formula 1 teams that would have exceeded the budget cap last season. Two of those teams would be Aston Martin and Red Bull Racing, which won the title with Max Verstappen and is about to become world champions again.

According to the La Gazzetta dello Sport, the FIA ​​would like to keep confidential the investigation into the financial figures submitted by the teams at the end of March for the previous world championship, but the Cost Cap Administration is said to have already finalized its findings on the teams' annual accounts and are directly involved in the process. informed of any detected violations. Three teams would have violated the budget cap of $145 million.

Sanction

The Italian sports newspaper has understood that Red Bull would have spent about four to five million too much on last year's championship car. The question then is what to do in return for possible sanctions. The financial regulation stipulates that the violation should be classified as 'minor' if the figure does not exceed 5 percent of the budget, and provides for economic or sporting penalties for the violators, ranging from fines to deductions from points. Applying a retroactive penalty does not seem likely, as the entire sport will be discredited if a title from last season is taken now.
The Power of Dreams!

Dee
Dee

AMuS - German
Gazettee - Italian

On the weekend of Max's birthday and his first chance of winning the WDC, they come out with this budget break

Great time for a "rumour"

Wouter

Dee wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:20
AMuS - German
Gazettee - Italian

On the weekend of Max's birthday and his first chance of winning the WDC, they come out with this budget break

Great time for a "rumour"
Well, it is not at all noticeable that an Italian site on Max's birthday comes out with this! :roll:
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Seems to hold water though. I wonder what will happen as surely teams can't just break the rules and not even receive punishment

Dee
Dee

organic wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:45
Seems to hold water though. I wonder what will happen as surely teams can't just break the rules and not even receive punishment
Seems to hold what water?

AMuS said RB were rumoured to have the flexi floor and that was false, why start believing things written by rivals via their own national magazines

Quantum

Wouter wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 08:55
Applying a retroactive penalty does not seem likely, as the entire sport will be discredited if a title from last season is taken now.
As if it wasn't already? :lol:

And some precedent to set. I mean why bother with having a budget cap in the first place?
"Interplay of triads"

organic

Dee wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:47
organic wrote:

AMuS said RB were rumoured to have the flexi floor and that was false, why start believing things written by rivals via their own national magazines
AMuS, basically every journalist. When van Haren is on board and it's to do with RB you can basically accept it is fact

I hope FIA puts their foot down. Otherwise, any serious team might as well always spend the extra 4-5% and accept a tiny punishment when most minds have moved on from the previous years championship. 4-5% extra spend over 10 years is a not insignificant amount of extra development. Could be enough to eek out a long term advantage

Dee
Dee

organic wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 10:16
Dee wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:47
organic wrote:

AMuS, basically every journalist. When van Haren is on board and it's to do with RB you can basically accept it is fact

I hope FIA puts their foot down. Otherwise, any serious team might as well spend the extra 4-5% and accept a tiny punishment when most minds have moved on from the previous years championship
The journalists are quoting those articles, that same journalist was quoting the flexi floor rumours as well, that did not make it true

You seem to have missed that the FIA themselves wrote this 5% rule, over 5% is disqualification, under 5% is a fine.

A team seeing this leeway is smart imo

SiLo

Id rather see proper sanctions for overspending, and this extra 5% leeway is stupid. Set a limit and that's the limit. If you go over, levee heavy penalties.

Nothing will actually change much, maybe they get a slap on the wrist. Be funny if they overspent by 5%, so the year after they have 5% less to spend.

I really wish the FIA came down harder on teams that are effectively cheating (although this isn't as its within the rules).
Felipe Baby!

mzivtins

SiLo wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 10:37
Id rather see proper sanctions for overspending, and this extra 5% leeway is stupid. Set a limit and that's the limit. If you go over, levee heavy penalties.

Nothing will actually change much, maybe they get a slap on the wrist. Be funny if they overspent by 5%, so the year after they have 5% less to spend.

I really wish the FIA came down harder on teams that are effectively cheating (although this isn't as its within the rules).
After the final race of the last season, they need to act swiftly and decisively on things like this, the FIA cannot afford a mess again... although it is inevitable they will, at which point F1 is more like watching WWE as it cannot be considered a sport if cheating is permitted enough that it can buy you the title.

AeroDynamic

FIA should fine any team guilty of breaking the cap, by giving them a sizeable fine out of their next budget.

Perhaps the amount should reflect where they finished in the championship to some extent.

Another element could be that they have to absolutely stay within the cap the following 2 seasons with no 5% exemption above the limit afforded to them.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 30 Sep 2022, 11:07, edited 3 times in total.