FIA Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
organic

Re: FIA Thread

AeroDynamic wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:02
FIA should fine any team guilty of breaking the cap, by giving them a sizeable fine out of their next budget.
That makes a lot of sense. I like the punishment.

AeroDynamic

organic wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:03
AeroDynamic wrote:
FIA should fine any team guilty of breaking the cap, by giving them a sizeable fine out of their next budget.
But, if they won the world title.. im not sure it is enough. Certainly if it is above the 'minor' limit of 5%, reportedly.

Quantum

AeroDynamic wrote:

Perhaps the amount should reflect where they finished in the championship to some extent.

Another element could be that they have to absolutely stay within the cap the following 2 seasons with no 5% exemption above the limit afforded to them.
There's no consequence.

They can just say "promise cross my heart" and do it again. Ad nauseum.
Then we have posts I've read questioning the integrity of the sport IF a consequence is meted out.

Mod edit:
Supreme bias display removed
Last edited by Quantum on 30 Sep 2022, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
"Interplay of triads"

Big Tea

AeroDynamic wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:08
organic wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:03
AeroDynamic wrote:
But, if they won the world title.. im not sure it is enough. Certainly if it is above the 'minor' limit of 5%, reportedly.
Make them give a similar amount to the bottom 3 teams, even it out
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SiLo

There are plenty of options open to them to crack down on it effectively. I'm going to guess that they use none of those options in classic FIA style.
Felipe Baby!

101FlyingDutchman

Whatever you overspend gets taken off next years budget limit for that team. Seems a pretty simple rule.

henry

Perhaps overspendplus taken off next year to prevent teams bringing forward developments from one year to the previous. Plus might be 50% for a first offence, 100% for a second and doubling each offence.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

JordanMugen

Maybe the trouble is different views of accounting and costings? :?:

fritticaldi

First of all , those who criticise Gazzetta dello Sport should know it is a serious publication. The news is gathering intensity. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolf ... /10376737/

richardn

I think an appropriate sanction is to reduce the overspending teams budget cap by the amount of the overspend for each of the following two years (starting in the year after the determination) That way, it's always a disbenefit overspending.

cplchanb

does the fia hire third party foresnic accountants to go through their books? how do the teams set the valuation of the parts that they produce. they could very well point at the front wing and say that supposed $150000 part is only worth $100000 and so on. I have a feeling that the top teams are already doing this

mzivtins

JordanMugen wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 13:24
Maybe the trouble is different views of accounting and costings? :?:
Given that one team is quoted to be "significantly over", and another to be down to just an "administrative error". There is no way it could be down to just "Being too complex" or "Different Views"

Otherwise the average lay of the teams would show this

mzivtins

There are the available Punishments for Cost-Cap infringements:

Minor:- Overspend of less than 5%
  • Deduction of Driver's & Constructors' Points
  • Suspension from one or more stages
  • Limitation on wind tunnel and tests
  • Reduction of cost cap (future)
Major:- Overspend of more than 5%
  • Deduction of Driver's & Constructors' Points
  • Suspension from one or more stages
  • Suspension from an entire competition
  • Exclusion from the championship
  • Reduction of cost cap (future)

Tvetovnato

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 12:02
Whatever you overspend gets taken off next years budget limit for that team. Seems a pretty simple rule.
Definitely not. If overspending gives you a title deciding advantage in a close season, a points deduction is the only penalty that can or should be given since it’s a direct unfair sporting advantage.

Writinglife

Interesting situation, but I cannot possibly see any result other than a light slap on the wrist and a financial penalty. At the very worst, it will be a Championship points deduction from last season that will not exceed 250 points. (Red Bull will keep their constructor's championship spot obviously).